A Cautionary Tale

Rex

Dignified but Approachable
An old man and his young grandson were walking across a bridge with their donkey. The bridge spanned a very wide, very deep canyon. The sides of the canyon were steep walls of sharp, jagged rock. As they started across the bridge, they met a traveler coming from the opposite direction. The traveler scolded the old man for making his grandson walk the length of the bridge. "He's just a boy! You should not force him to walk so far. Let him ride the donkey," the traveller chided.

The old man thought about it for a moment, thanked the traveler for teaching him this lesson, and lifted his grandson up onto the donkey's back. They continued on their way.

After a while, another traveler crossed their path. This traveler scolded the boy. "Shame on you for letting your old grandfather walk while you ride in comfort on the donkey!" The old man thought a while, and realized that this was an important lesson for his grandson about respect for one's elders. So he asked his grandson, "Would you mind walking so I can ride the donkey for a little while?" His grandson smiled and dismounted. The old man climbed up on the donkey's back, and they continued on their way.

Halfway across the bridge, they met a third traveler. The traveler looked at the old man riding the donkey and scolded him. "Why do you make that poor animal carry your weight on such a hot day? Your legs are strong, and he has carried you a long way. You should carry him for a while." The old man thought, and realized that there was a lesson here, too. "We must be kind to these creatures who work so hard for us." So he climbed down from the donkey, and with his grandson's help, they both lifted the donkey onto their shoulders and continued on their way.

Now, a donkey is a large animal, and not easy for an old man and a young boy to carry. As they walked, they swayed from side to side, struggling to control the animal's weight. But it was no use. They swayed too far, and hit the railing of the bridge. The railing stopped the man and his grandson, but it was too low to stop the donkey. The donkey rolled out of their hands and tumbled to his death on the rocky canyon wall. It was then that the old man realized the true lesson to be learned: if you try to please everyone, you can kiss your ass good-bye.

Heard this story before when I was a wee lad. Wise words. I wonder if Cliff is laughing at the thought of digitech, avid and line 6 scrambling the living hell to get their science guys to stop screwing around make a diamond out of turd using poorly manufactured products with the skills of a chimpanzee on pcp to compete with Cliff :lol

I'm not sure why this post was moved out of the Axe-FX II forum. It's directly related.

Back
Top Bottom