A Believer again: 7 Fractal crop circles

RackAddict

Previous handle "Djenter"
I think that Ares is the 4th out of 7 crop circles on the Fractal Logo because it went from FW.xx to G2, to Quantum, to Ares. According to the logic, the next Firmware 5 (I suggest to the company the name "Titan" as use for any release) may be one of the two second largest circles (5th) and then the firmware after that will be the 6th (the second - second largest circle followed by the 7th and last Firmware model - the largest crop circle. The only question is whether the DSP on the Afx 3 will be able to accomodate it or if a final Axe FX 4 or 'Axe FX Max' unit will be coming.

I do believe that the signal quality of the 'home-grade' studio signal chain (including pres and converters) has been surpassed by fractal boxes at about the level of Quantum and that Ares has gone up to match perhaps a bit better mid level - as ive seen most youtube commenters say that the Axe fx 2 sounds better than several real signal chain equivalents on several videos.

A lot of these "youtube engineers" who cannot even have their mic recordings sound as good as most amp modelers as per listener comments, sound like they have perhaps entry level or mid level RME or Focusrite conversion or something like that when they try to mic amps, through which they may get mediocre to mid level audio and hance alot of listeners saying whichever modeler in the comparision sounds the same or maybe better. Lol.

Its only a matter of time before we either get a new firmware and/or a higher res IR block which will prolly be the last - perhaps Extreme res or X-res" (also my request as a feature upgrade).

At the point of the 7th and last crop circle it will have matched the signal chain equivalent of top level recording gear which is what the largest circle version would prolly accomplish.

But what ive realized in setting up a pedalboard for ambient music is that all these strymon and other similar overpriced pedals are a big waste of money with average AD and DA converters, and which are all digital pedals anyways which requires all these redundant analog connections between all these A to D and D to A conversion steps, and hence in the market for a modeler again. I rented a rack Helix but not enough parallel routing. Headrush sounds great but feels too mobile-app like and toyish.

So back to fractal again, Just debating whether to go with the Afx 3 if thats the last Fractal box, or wait for the FM3 to spend on that and spend the other money for the difference of 3 on other studio stuff. No clue.

If the current 3 is the final Fractal box to accomodate all firmwares and IR resolution levels, then I would prolly take that. But my hunch is that there will be one last and final AFX unit which means an FM3 may be more justifiable for now. Whenever that comes out.

Im more likely to buy a 3 if we get an "extreme res" cab block and buy an FM3 later down the road. But at this point I cannot make a decision.

Last edited:
That’s an interesting prediction. Not many companies plan out a future date at which no further innovation is needed. What happens when they complete the “final” product? Does the company shut down? Or just sit back and keep making and selling that one last widget?

Will it be as anti-climactic as the Insane Clown Posse’s sixth and “final” joker card?

From the timeline of Fractal Machine DSP, and Turing logic predictions we are in for just under 9 years left worth of FW updates for the 3 so it will be a while by the time we find out.

Last edited:
I think that Ares is the 4th out of 7 crop circles on the Fractal Logo because it went from FW.xx to G2, to Quantum, to Ares. According to the logic, the next Firmware 5 (I suggest to the company the name "Titan" as use for any release) may be one of the two second largest circles (5th) and then the firmware after that will be the 6th (the second - second largest circle followed by the 7th and last Firmware model - the largest crop circle. The only question is whether the DSP on the Afx 3 will be able to accomodate it or if a final Axe FX 4 or 'Axe FX Max' unit will be coming.

I do believe that the signal quality of the 'home-grade' studio signal chain (including pres and converters) has been surpassed by fractal boxes at about the level of Quantum and that Ares has gone up to match perhaps a bit better mid level - as ive seen most youtube commenters say that the Axe fx 2 sounds better than several real signal chain equivalents on several videos.

A lot of these "youtube engineers" who cannot even have their mic recordings sound as good as most amp modelers as per listener comments, sound like they have perhaps entry level or mid level RME or Focusrite conversion or something like that when they try to mic amps, through which they may get mediocre to mid level audio and hance alot of listeners saying whichever modeler in the comparision sounds the same or maybe better. Lol.

Its only a matter of time before we either get a new firmware and/or a higher res IR block which will prolly be the last - perhaps Extreme res or X-res" (also my request as a feature upgrade).

At the point of the 7th and last crop circle it will have matched the signal chain equivalent of top level recording gear which is what the largest circle version would prolly accomplish.

But what ive realized in setting up a pedalboard for ambient music is that all these strymon and other similar overpriced pedals are a big waste of money with average AD and DA converters, and which are all digital pedals anyways which requires all these redundant analog connections between all these A to D and D to A conversion steps, and hence in the market for a modeler again. I rented a rack Helix but not enough parallel routing. Headrush sounds great but feels too mobile-app like and toyish.

So back to fractal again, Just debating whether to go with the Afx 3 if thats the last Fractal box, or wait for the FM3 to spend on that and spend the other money for the difference of 3 on other studio stuff. No clue.

If the current 3 is the final Fractal box to accomodate all firmwares and IR resolution levels, then I would prolly take that. But my hunch is that there will be one last and final AFX unit which means an FM3 may be more justifiable for now. Whenever that comes out.

Im more likely to buy a 3 if we get an "extreme res" cab block and buy an FM3 later down the road. But at this point I cannot make a decision.
I've never heard a bad RME converter so everything else in your statement is fluff and mental puffery AFAIC.

RME is bad? I liked their digital ADAT stuff. I’ve had Focusrite I thought could be bested for twice the money. Do the Axe 3 converters sound as good as UA Apollo Twin ?

That’s what ive been saying

ANYWAY WHICH WAY YOU WANNA BREAK IT DOWN - dont matter, the Axe fX III is WITHOUT A DOUBT, the BEST CHOICE

Now, I say that with slight Bias, not just because I own one, but because I have dispensable income.....lol j/k

I say that honestly, because I did the math, and If i got the FM3 and the FC6, or whatever the case....the FM3 eventually would prove not enough in comparison to the axe.....

THAT”s not to say, the FM3 doesnt have its place....I TRULY beleive, if you read my other post Predictions, that the FM3 and the AX3 with the FC6/12 will be the amp of the next decade

I really think, this is the last “big box” amp, and we wont see these things again in 5-10 years

The axe IS and will remain the benchmark for the next 5, and then after that, companies will start to CATCH UP, but the axe 3 will always remain a step ahead, with its proprietary shit

Literally: FAS is and stays proprietary (even though its UNIVERSALLY COMPATIB:LE), and you can see that with the FC...there are many options and layouts but FAS is the BEST, godammit, thats IT....nothing comes close

In 5 years, come and talk some shit.....but not until 2025, honestly,. especially with the QC and products being introduced, its a circus of gear and “digital” bullshit

You need hardware, you need foot switches/controls, because SOFTWARE OFTEN FAILS....THINGS THAT RUN OFF OF STRAIGHT MEMORY (like flash or these DSP) will always be better than HDD shit, always...and everything else has proven to fall short of the axe 3 unless it has a HDD :):::cough KEMPER COUGH COUGH:::: :)

SO......the FM3 will be much like the AX8 in that it’ll give you FAS on the go, PLUS it has a “mini” Ares/Axe 3 OS to boot, which is sick, its like a MAcbook Pro and an IPad pro, both are almost equally capable, one just has a WHOLE HELLUVA lot more, but essentially its a stripped down version like ipad is stripped down CPU.....

Get the Axe 3 if you can afford it, otherwise, the FM3 will be out in 2020 and then FAS will dominate the market, pushing all The little insignificant moles BACK in their holes

GET BACK IN YOUR HOLE! GET BACK IN YOUR HOLE!

.....digital plug in re amping bullshit, unbeleivable,....i was upset about modelers until they proved better....now i hate these DI bullshit

I've never heard a bad RME converter so everything else in your statement is fluff and mental puffery AFAIC.

actually I clearly said both entry level to medium. In addition they have entry level to medium grade. But nice try.

You have some serious problems. Get them addressed.

Last edited:
RME is bad? I liked their digital ADAT stuff. I’ve had Focusrite I thought could be bested for twice the money. Do the Axe 3 converters sound as good as UA Apollo Twin ?

Sound as 'revealing' you mean?

Well how good can the Afx 3 converters be really? If its worth 2G as a unit in its entirety retail then lets consider where the company focuses production represented in the cost: Digital amp modeling, memory and dsp, converters. the value of all the algorithms and effects blocks, the display, routing and all the connectivity, dsp processing power, etc. And maybe other stuff I am missing. So what would the converter value be? 300? 500? Or even better converters? 200 for the A/D from the guitar in and maybe the same for the D/A? Or did the A/D need to be better and the D/A only need a certain level of conversion? Or the other way around? Better d/a? One can only speculate and try to listen and play.

Considering the level where the realism of amp modeling is at today, perhaps its not even necessary to have any higher end converters in the unit that would make the unit cost more. It may be the case that it would be redundant to be implementing into the unit if there is nothing further to reveal in the modeled audio at this current point in the timeline of the company's amp modeling. But from what ive heard, im more pleased with the current clips produced by the 3 than from the 2 as I was at the 2 going from the ultra. I still would need to see how it feels when mine comes in. But I firmly believe that the home audio recording quality level has been surpassed by the Axe FX 3's modeled signal chain of amp to cab to D/A in every recording more or less and especially when the better IR's are involved... and this is truly impressive. And I anticipate that there are many more layers yet to slowly be peeled back.

With a company like Line 6 where there is even less detail in the modeling (less detailed code), they would prolly be using yet even cheaper converters. Line 6 is really nowhere near Fractal and they produce really overpriced products. I rented a helix rack and it went back fast. I do own an HX stomp because I was too impatient with this FM3 stuff, but I really cant wait to get rid of the helix for the FM3.

(Keep in mind that some A/D and D/A converters cost over 8G alone which would be a 16G round trip. And they say they are truest representation of audio going in and out. Essentially, those deep and open airy sounds are what such types of converters reveal the further details of as well as overall bass and mid resolution).

Last edited:
Well ya still have to have the equipment to support hearing what $16k of converters do for ya. You would never ever hear that in a live context nor in any kind of average home studio, probably not even in your run of the mill townie recording studio. Ya have to draw the line somewhere from Fractal’s perspective. Diminishing returns & all that..

Back
Top Bottom