97% CPU and Getting Static

Dude, I know it's cool and all to use two stereo cab blocks (4 cabs total) but it's completely unnecessary. I'll definitely say I did the same thing when I first got the Axe FX, however I quickly realized that all ya really need is one. Also I might be in the minority here, but I run with a very simple patch setup. At it's most complex:

Comp->Drive->Amp->Cab->Chorus->Phase/Flange->Delay(sometimes 2)->Reverb->Enhancer......Done.

I never touch anywhere close to 80%, ever. Plus it sounds like a the best goddamn rig i've ever plugged into.

p.s. +300 on using separate patches to achieve what you need. It seems like you're trying to build one mega rig inside the Axe and that's just silly. That's why we have seamless patch switching and the ability to create over 700 user patches. Go nuts dude.

It’s overkill. Your dream rig could always have unnecessary things. Streamline, simplify. My main preset for my piezo/midi equipped guitar runs at 64% CPU usage. It has one row for mag pickups (vol block-gate-peq-amp-cab-delay), one row for piezo (vol-gate-comp-filter-cab-geq-rotary-reverb) and finally the FXLoop block in the end to add my Roland guitar synth into the patch. That's 15 blocks taking up 64% CPU. So decide and pick better on the IR side. I stopped using Tmatch block and started relying on my ears and maybe a GEQ after the single CAB block (stereo mode works wonders).View attachment 44151
How do you run the mag, piezoelectric? Do you use the front and back inputs and pan them? Can you use both at the same time?
Thanks

yes, set input 1 to stereo. use a y-lead from the guitar. plug the mags in the front and the piezos in the the rear to input 1 "right"

then create two lines in the grid with a volume block at the start of each. the volume blocks have a parameter called "input select". choose "left" for one and "right" for the other.

the best piezo sound is obtained, imo, by tonematching a real acoustic. find a nice demo on youtube and once you've matched it, export it to a user cab. find a demo that's really dry and has been recorded well. if they've recorded it in stereo, then do two tonematches, one for left and one for right and export both. hard pan the cabs in the cab block you load them into. sounds awesome

nb - when using input 1 in stereo, you'll get a lower input level on the mag side than using "left only", so always use a volume block set to "left" at the beginning of your patches, even if you're not using the piezos in that patch.

yes, set input 1 to stereo. use a y-lead from the guitar. plug the mags in the front and the piezos in the the rear to input 1 "right"
you can also set the Input 1 to "Rear" and plug both cables into the rear, Input 1 Left and Input 2 Right (not input 2). i do this, didn't miss the "special sauce" front input at all, and it made more sense to me to put both cables in the back. just another option

Hey guys, thank you for all the great responses and ideas. I really appreciate your feedback,even though it seems like some people are putting out their hand and asking me to choke myself on it, HAHA, I KID. That is from 'Full Metal Jacket' for those that have never seen it (Speaking of Boot Camp). Long live Gunny!

Seriously though... I am very interested in having any of you AXE FX Gurus taking this preset (Which I have uploaded) and coming up with the same tone, but done much more efficiently. I think it would be a great 'Case Study' for myself, and anyone else who happens upon this thread, to better learn the amazing abilities of this great product, if anyone is interested.

The reason there are two Cabs is for a layered stereo effect. The two Cabs use the same 2 IR's but they are reversed in the second Cab and panned differently.

Perhaps there is a way to enhance the code so if an IR is repeated in a second Cab it doesn't treat it as a completely different IR, using up extra resources? Or maybe it has to. I am sure your programmers know exactly how to maximize the CPU usage. It is just something that crossed my mind.

Again, thank you all for the help.

Attachments

• The Tone.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 1
"The reason there are two Cabs is for a layered stereo effect. The two Cabs use the same 2 IR's but they are reversed in the second Cab and panned differently."

the tonematch blocks sums to mono, so this is a complete waste of time

the geq is boosting treble and the tonematch is cutting it.

no idea what cabs you're using because they're user ones. if the cab ir's you're using have mics baked in, then you don't need to use the mics in the cab block

edit: i'm on a II, so i realise they may be factory cabs. they show up as user cabs on mine, because we have less factory cabs than the XL

Last edited:
do the tonematch without the cab blocks or the geq. export to a user cab. you've already been told this, no?

Thank you for the input chris, I will continue to play around with it. Hopefully I can figure out a way to add everything I want in the chain and not compromise the tone too much.

Full disclosure: I haven't looked at the patch, but I get an idea of what's going on from the comments about it in this thread.

I think you're trying to do too much, too fast, and getting stuck for that reason. Do you really need multiple high-res stereo cab blocks with custom IR's and then tonematch? Probably not. My recommendation is to go the other way, strip the whole thing down to amp, cab and reverb. Stick to factory cabs (only because people have proven time and time again that you can get great tone from them), and see what the amps and cabs really sound like in the AFX.

Are you going to get the sound you're imagining in your head on day one doing this? Nope. But you're not going to get it the other way either - and you are probably going to get frustrated, confused and fed up fairly quickly. Better to take small steps, learn how the unit works on simple patches and then figure out how to build on that knowledge to do more complicated things. Chances are, somewhere along the way you'll learn that you don't need the complicated stuff to get the sound you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom