96 or 48 Khz OH IRs?

I've having difficulty in finding an answer to a question in regards to which IR's I should import from the OH library I have. I have some 96Khz 500ms IR's that I've imported via Axe Edit into my AXE III. I assume these are being resampled to the 48 Khz 200ms Native format? Is that correct? If so, I should probably just import the Fractal version that OH provides.

Where in the manual can I find info about what IR Khz/ms formats are compatible?

it's internally locked at 48k, anything you feed it that's more than 48k will just get down sampled. Use 24 bit though wherever you can, i think the bit rate has more audible effect on quality than sample rate does

Import one OH 48k 24 bit IR, and next to it import the same IR but the 96k 24 bit file, listen to them both. The audible difference I found to be drastic, with FAS's sample rate conversion, vs whatever method was used to build the OH folder.

I first tried to import all the wav files of a folder with axe edit, and it took f o r e v e r. A quicker way is to batch convert entire folders to sysex files using Cab Lab "Wav2Syx" tool, then axe edit eats those sysex files a lot faster without having to digest each one on the way in.

Import one OH 48k 24 bit IR, and next to it import the same IR but the 96k 24 bit file, listen to them both. The audible difference I found to be drastic, with FAS's sample rate conversion, vs whatever method was used to build the OH folder.

Interesting. I believe OH recommends avoiding SRC, but you're suggesting the opposite. I haven't compared myself--it's an interesting experiment.

Interesting. I believe OH recommends avoiding SRC, but you're suggesting the opposite. I haven't compared myself--it's an interesting experiment.
SRC is going to happen somewhere unless the IR capture process were done twice, each time using a different sample rate, which I doubt was done.

The question then becomes what sample rate were the IRs originally captured at. If 96k then I would use those and rely on our SRC.

I wouldn't think someone as meticulous as OH would record with anything less than max resolution so I figured those 96k would be the best available. It really makes an audible difference if you load them both (48k/96k) in next to each other.

Edit: It might have been Redwirez I used that showed a big difference between different sample rates of the same IR, same cab/mic/speaker/position, one out of the 48k24bit folder and the other out of the 96k24bit folder. There was vodka and/or rum involved with the comparison process. o_O

Last edited:
I wouldn't think someone as meticulous as OH would record with anything less than max resolution so I figured those 96k would be the best available. It really makes an audible difference if you load them both (48k/96k) in next to each other.

Tried that and I don't hear ANY difference between 48 and 96 (auto trimmed, non-MPT).

Well just how meticulous is he? Meticulous enough to capture at both 96 & 48? Or just 96 then SRC to 48?
That’s two different levels of meticulousness.

Tried that and I don't hear ANY difference between 48 and 96 (auto trimmed, non-MPT).

Uhhh now that I think of it, I don't think I did the comparison with an OH IR, it might have been a Redwirez, the Recto 4x12 out of the big box. Same cab/mic/speaker/position, just one out of the 48k24bit folder and the other out of the 96k24bit folder. Using Axe-Manage Cabs 'no processing' preference.

Last edited:
Uhhh now that I think of it, I don't think I did the comparison with an OH IR, it might have been a Redwirez, the Recto 4x12 out of the big box. Same cab/mic/speaker/position, just one out of the 48k24bit folder and the other out of the 96k24bit folder. Using Axe-Manage Cabs 'no processing' preference.
Well regardless of what it was, in your professional opinion, how big of a difference are we talking that you felt you were hearing? Was it something where ya really had to keep flipping back and forth with the same exact audio material playing on loop to hear an almost imperceptible difference in a critical listening environment or was it like night & day difference like it was the IR next to it in the cab pack?

My "expert consumer peasant opinion" of the difference was equivalent to the difference between a factory 4x12 Recto IR and a factory 1x6 IR. Enough to :eek: and double check I didn't accidentally import two different IRs. But I only did it once to test, before committing the 3 hours to get T W O T H O U S A N D IRs renamed and imported. Mr. Yek said he didn't get any difference, but that was with Cab Lab. Ymmv.

My "expert consumer peasant opinion" of the difference was equivalent to the difference between a factory 4x12 Recto IR and a factory 1x6 IR. Enough to :eek: and double check I didn't accidentally import two different IRs. But I only did it once to test, before committing the 3 hours to get T W O T H O U S A N D IRs renamed and imported. Mr. Yek said he didn't get any difference, but that was with Cab Lab. Ymmv.
Blasphemy! I respect thine opinion.. Twouldddn’t inquire if I didn’t

Back
Top Bottom