80ms audio dropout when switching presets

AndyKay

I played my new AX8 for the last few gigs and I am VERY happy with the sound.

But I'm wondering about the switching times... ?
In my opinion, these times are FAR TOO LONG for an actual top-notch-guitar-sound-device.

In a song, I have to switch from my favourite CLEAN-Amp to my favorite DRIVE-Amp. But the preset-switch causes an audio "dropout" of more than 80 milliseconds!!! (This is nearly 3x the mute-time of my old BOSS GT3 [ca. 30ms] ). Thus, the first note (after the preset-switch) often gets lost...

Isn't it possible to make a firmware update with faster switching times?
This would really be great.

PS:
I've tried a lot of workarounds which are posted here. Some of them work, if you make tradeoffs in the sound.
But if you don't make any compromise in the sounds you want to switch, there is always the loooong dropout...

Last edited:
I'd your needs aren't terribly complex, you can make the switch from clean to mean using scenes, with no compromise in sound.

Otherwise, no...you can't switch presets without a dropout. There's a lot more data that has to be flushed and refilled, compared to your GT3.

Yep that's the nature of only having one amp block.
There is no way around it, you need to compromise either clean or dirty tone.
I've settled on bypassing the amp and using a drive to get my clean tone.

Hi Rex,

how do you do that by scenes? I tried scene1 with AMP X and scene2 with AMP Y -> I still get 80ms dropout.

[ Yes, AX8 has to load more data, but it has a CPU which is ca. 16 years ahead :) ]

Hi Rex,

how do you do that by scenes? I tried scene1 with AMP X and scene2 with AMP Y -> I still get 80ms dropout.
Use scenes to vary gain and level (and EQ and delay and other stuff, if you like). No need for X/Y.

[ Yes, AX8 has to load more data, but it has a CPU which is ca. 16 years ahead :) ]
Yeah, but the difference in data is huge. The AX8 models amps down to the individual component level, vs. the GT3's distortion engine-plus-EQ model. That's the price of accuracy and tubeyness. :)

You mentioned you read some other threads on this. So you should know that x/y across scenes or within a scene won't work. Using modifiers per scene is your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom