8" or smaller FRFR Monitor vs. AER acoustic monitors

Hhuent

Experienced
fellas, this has been asked before years ago but maybe someone can shed a light on this by now:
I am looking for a small ( 8" or less) active high class FRFR monitor that can hold its own against a moderately playing drummer, around 100 to 200 watts, under 10 kg, to be shlepped up some narrow stairs and used in a small rehearsal room (you know the deal), maybe with a hint of thump - surely not like the big 12" and 10" boys so much is clear. I am willing to pay up to 1100 dollars as this kind of solution is mostly much more used than the bigger monitors on stage - in my case anyway.
I did not find that many monitors that would fit my purpose - maybe a
- db technology fm8 wedge (coaxial speaker which I took as an advantage over extra tweeters)
- yamahas usual suspect drx8
- also dynacords D8, mackie dlm8 (not much love for QSC or EV 8")
- and why not: 6.5" monitors like the TC helicons

On my search I also tried two acoustic amps - an 8" Acus and a Henriksen Bud, but I realized the tone of them was not as much flat response as I hoped for (both still great amps though) and even bypassing the preamp via effect return did not get me further really. Then I found some info on the AER AG8 monitor ( l used their amps many years ago) and AER claims it also works with modelers because of its flat EQ tone. Form factor is perfect - Weight 8 kg, size is a tad more than 30 x 25 x 25, but only 60 watts, but quite pricey. Thing is I remember the AER sound being a bit on the cold and boxy side, but maybe this monitor which may have less coloration would be a great alternative to those 8" pa monitors. What do you think? Any experience, recommendations?

If I were looking for something like that I would be looking pretty hard at the db Technology or Dynacords simply for the fact that they are purpose designed to be a floor monitor. As to whether or not they will hang with a drummer is up to the drummer, That said I have been knocking around with a pair of M-Audio Bx8a's for years and have done a few small room gigs with drummers. If they are set up high enough they work pretty good but again it's up to the drummer.

When it comes to 8" stage monitoring You have FBT, db Technology, Dynacords, QSC, Mackie DLM and maybe Mick at Xitone might be able to build something. But when it comes to a true 8" FRFR stage monitor that can pack a good punch there just isn't a lot of options.

When it comes to 8" stage monitoring You have FBT, db Technology, Dynacords, QSC, Mackie DLM and maybe Mick at Xitone might be able to build something. But when it comes to a true 8" FRFR stage monitor that can pack a good punch there just isn't a lot of options.

This! The pricepoint of all the quoted brands go up to, say, 600 or 700 Euros (700 to 800 dollars). Small high end 8" solutions like the RCF TT08, KS Audio, KV2 cost at least twice the price and more. If this is the price for a 10% better tone improvement I don´t know. I found some threads with mixed results on using monitors from AER, Schertler and alike that are rather known for acoustic guitar equipment. And they cost quite a bit more than typical PA counterparts (but they look better ;-)). I bet there is a high demand for small powerful (200 to 300 Watts or so) 8" FRFR monitors that can pack a punch as you said - as far as speaker physics go. I would also add: that avoid overly loud tweeters when turned up. This monitor would meet at least 90 % of my requirements - at home, rehearsals, jazz or acoustic gigs. 10 % of my requirements need a louder 12" where I want the Ooomph and Thump on stage. I guess I´m not the only one. Any happy small monitor users here who are in the same boat? What´s your solution?

I'm using two dB Technologies FM8s in stereo. Strictly for my own monitoring, only used them for backline once in a small room. There is an amazing amount of low end in these midgets. That said I think the treble side is not as vibrant as their bigger siblings, the FM10s, which I have on lone for a while. I haven't A/B'd them properly yet, but I do know that dB saves on tweeters in the smaller models. I would gladly pay extra, but these things have a DSP so I don't know what would happen with another, better, tweeter.
I had the 10" and 12" of their previous models, the M Plus, I sent the 10" back because of the treble being better in the 12". I did get to A/B the M12-4PLUS and the FM10 and the FM10 is boxier than the M12-4PLUS. The M12 actually could pretty much hang with the RCFs 12" for much of the way, with the RCFs sounding much the same, just a bit more refined. I have not heard the FM12. I sold the M12s three weeks ago.

Of course the FM8s do sound smaller. They don't extend as far and sound a bit boxier than bigger speakers. It's just physics, there is no way an 8" will sound as full and vibrant as a big monitor. But they do work fine for me. I can hear myself well and quite enjoy the tones, even though I think there's better out there. For this size and (European) price (€379) you will be hard pressed to find any. Our keyboard player also has FM8s and likes them a lot, too. I think they are somewhat less favourably priced in the US.

It's a trade-off. I'm not prepared to lug those big boxes for the difference, not even a CLR. Although I am very excited to hear one of those for the first time next week.
The FM8 has plenty of power to push us over the drummer. He's on acoustic drums and can get loud but is usually quite disciplined. Still, the FM8 has plenty left to hang with a louder drummer. I have this problem that makes my left ear start to crackle when the level gets over 100dB, so that is where my volume ends anyway, but the FM8 can do much more.

That said we tried them for vocals once and for that they didn't have enough headroom. They started feeding back just a little too early. We didn't have an eq at that time, though, that could have helped a bit. I plan on trying both the FM8 and the FM10 out for vox with eq soon.

Didn't Radian make an 8" floor monitor at some point? They got bought up by EAW? Or something?

Last edited:
Didn't Radian make an 8" floor monitor at some point? They got bought up by EAW? Or something?

Yes they are still around, I forgot all about Radian they do still make their version of the Micro Wedge but it's not a powered box ,neither is the EAW version and they are both pricy. From what I can see it looks as if they only build a 12 and 15" box. They sell and 8" coaxial driver but I don't think that helps the OP.

Yes they are still around, I forgot all about Radian they do still make their version of the Micro Wedge but it's not a powered box ,neither is the EAW version and they are both pricy. From what I can see it looks as if they only build a 12 and 15" box. They sell and 8" coaxial driver but I don't think that helps the OP.
I seem to remember some pics of a church setup with Radians. They looked small.

To add to my epistle above, I do use some EQ on my monitors. Mostly pulling out a lot of low end and a slight bump at 4K for some clarity.

I seem to remember some pics of a church setup with Radians. They looked small.

Ha, that's was quite a few years back, man how time flies! Those were small boxes for sure and they worked really well but everything on stage was direct including drums! That was a big factor in keeping stage SPL to a minimum.

From what I have seen now most medium to large churches have gone full in ear monitoring even though they still have an acoustic kit on stage which is funny considering how far electronic drums have come with respect to feel and sound.

Can't get our drummer to even consider electric, although I sense he's softening up a little. I'm not sure he played a good set recently.

I'm also not sure if it is wise to go full IEM. Strings need some sound waves to sympathise with for sustain. I'd probably still want a monitor for my guitar to feed back into. No feedback without a speaker.

I use a TC-Helicon VoiceSolo FX150 with my IEM for guitar feedback and monitoring. So far it's performed flawlessly for 2 years worth of gigging.

Back
Top Bottom