8 different V30's soundclip comparison! Ownhammer V3 Mix IR's!!

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
Hi guys,

I was really happy when the new Ownhammer V3 mix IR's came out because I really love the HGE series so I thought this would be great for me and it is!
Every Cab in this bundle is usable for every style, but most importantly, they sound AMAZING!
I think it's just about choosing a speaker type you like, then choose a mix type like Raw or Precise and then a number.
For now I like the Raw files the best because they seem to have a cool dimension to them.
The Precise mixes are really good too (crispy and hi-fi), you should try both and see what works best for the sound/song.

Anyway, I really like V30's and these new libraries offer 8 different types of V30's!!!!!
All these different flavours to play with, just great!
I hope Kevin gets to add the other V30's to the ENGL, DIEZEL and BOGNER cabs because it would be just great to have all these different V30 flavours in these different cabs.
I gathered some info from the manuals about every V30:

The V30-MV-08 Is based on a 1988 8-ohm Celestion T3896 G12V "Marshall Vintage", made in England.
The V30-EN-16 is based on a 1999 16-ohm Celestion T3904 Vintage 30, made in England.
The V30-MV-16 is based on a 2001 16-ohm Celestion T3897 G12V "Marshall Vintage", made in England.
The V30-EN-08 is based on a 2001 8-ohm Celestion T4335 Vintage 30, made in England to Mesa specifications
The V30-CH-16 is based on a 2005 16-ohm Celestion T3904 Vintage 30, made in China.
The V30-CH-08 is based on a 2008 8-ohm Celestion T3903A Vintage 30, made in China.
The V30-MB-08 is based on a 2012 8-ohm Celestion T4335B Vintage 30, made in England for Mesa Boogie.
The V30-MB-16 is based on a 2014 16-ohm Celestion T4416B Vintage 30, made in England for Mesa Boogie.

I thought this called for a cool simple comparison to showcase all these different Celestion V30's.

For this clip I used one of my Fender Jim Root Telecasters with EMG's tuned to drop-C#.
I like Recto amps so I used the Red mdrn 2 with basic settings, little less mids, little more treble and presence and the MV to about 2.3.

The first clip is the one I recommend because it showcases the IR's in a mix, basically the way you would usually hear them in the real world.
I added some processing from Slate Digital like the virtual console collection and the virtual tape machines.
I didn't do a lot of EQ but I quickly checked every IR part and did some quick and simple EQ boosts and cuts like a LPF and some gentle mid cuts here and there to suit the mix a bit better.
I didn't spend a lot of time on this so this isn't perfect by any means.
For EQ I used the new Slate Digital virtual mix rack with the Neve and SSL sims, they are awesome!

The second one is the guitars dry and straight from the Axe FX with no additional processing.

The order of these IR's is as follows:

1. OH 412 MES-ST V30-CH-08 RMDR 05
2. OH 412 MES-ST V30-CH-16 RMDR 05
3. OH 412 MES-ST V30-EN-16 RMDR 04
4. OH 412 MES-ST V30-MB-08 RMDR 04
5. OH 412 MES-ST V30-MB-16 RMDR 09
6. OH 412 MES-ST V30-EN-08 RMDR 04
7. OH 412 MES-ST V30-MV-08 RMDR 02
8. OH 412 MES-ST V30-MV-16 RMDR 05
9. OH 412 ENG V30-CH-08 RMDR 01
10.OH 412 ENG V30-MB-08 RMDR 01
11.OH 412 ENG V30-EN-08 RMDR 01
12.OH 412 DZL-RL V30-CH-08 RMDR 04
13.OH 412 DZL-RL V30-MB-08 RMDR 03
14.OH 412 DZL-RL V30-EN-08 RMDR 02
15.OH 412 BOG-ST V30-CH-16 RMDR 05
16.OH 412 BOG-ST V30-EN-16 RMDR 07
17.OH 412 MAR-RI V30-EN-16 RMDR 05

please note that this test isn't perfect!
I didn't spend hours and hours tweaking every mix.
You may not like my style or the way I tweak my sounds.
Still I hope this helps to showcase every different V30 in a high gain situation.

Attachments

• Vintage30-9c107003beda40fe5ecc5861ad6c911a.jpg
    Vintage30-9c107003beda40fe5ecc5861ad6c911a.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
great post! i just bought all the Diezel mixes and the gov Mesa mix. i'm don't do too much IR stuff yet, but i feel i had to cut a lot of lows in the cab block for these IRs compared to some others i've tried. they sound great before and after the low cut! but just wondering if these tend to have a lot of low end due to the "mix" process or something?

great post! i just bought all the Diezel mixes and the gov Mesa mix. i'm don't do too much IR stuff yet, but i feel i had to cut a lot of lows in the cab block for these IRs compared to some others i've tried. they sound great before and after the low cut! but just wondering if these tend to have a lot of low end due to the "mix" process or something?

Thanks! Kevin did say that this time around he tweaked the mixes with his Axe FX so the IR's would work better with the Axe FX.
I don't really mind the lows, I always do a low cut around 80hz in my presets and I filter out even more in my mixes (usually around 110hz).

Thanks for posting this! It's really useful having the mix version and the straight version side-by-side to compare them. Amazing how some of those cabs just fit in that mix so perfectly, makes it a tough choice. I must say that the 'OH 412 MAR-RI V30-CH-OG RMDR 05' has got me very keen on purchasing this.

Great job, Guitarjon! They all sound excellent to me. I, too, am liking the Raw versions, there's something going on which is more interesting, less hi-fi.

Great job, Guitarjon! They all sound excellent to me. I, too, am liking the Raw versions, there's something going on which is more interesting, less hi-fi.

Definitely!
It took a while for me to choose wich ones I liked best but in the end the Raw ones suited this style best.

WOW! Awesome Jon, thanks so much for putting that together for everyone! :) Gonna post that to the Facebook once I get the kids to bed. Gotta catch up on some email then too...

The "MAR-RI" is a modern production 1960B. The IR pack can be found by clicking "FREE" in the global header on the OH website.

Before you ask, I'll be getting to your checkerboard cab very soon swass! ;)

The Marshall freebie!
Kevin dropped a link somewhere!

Thanks Jon and great job with the V-30 demo. I've posted it before but I'll reiterate a bit... never was a V-30 fan until Kevin sampled all the different versions of V-30's there are. I'd be interested in hearing the version Marshall used in the Mode Four cabs. I had the opportunity to own the cab for a spell and dug them over the standard Ch. 16 Ohm-ers that I compared them with.

Before you ask, I'll be getting to your checkerboard cab very soon swass! ;)

...too late... http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-user-cabs-irs/95706-ownhammer-v3-mix-libraries-now-available-4.html#post1147178... and it's your cab. Not mine :)

Last edited:
thank you Jon! man you are the man, I love vintage 30s! it's my favourite speaker! hooraay for this!

with so many cab packs around I get a bit overwhelmed and don't know what to buy, do you have a link for this package?

I want everything vintage 30! *drool* lol. But I also miss more open back cab sims. I've been using the one that came with the original axe-fx II since forever.

it may be that it's been improved or something, but I love it for cleans. great demo! great thread! great man - Jon everyone, he's just being Jon. Such a kind Jon.

I really appreciate this comparison. I listened to the clips over and over again and went ahead and purchased the EN-OG pack based on the test. Love them so far.

I have to say, this sort of demo makes things SOOOOOO much easier to narrow down what I am after. As a player who never had access to so many different speaker/cab choices, it helps greatly to be able to hear things in this way so I can know what fits more with what I am looking for. I would go so far as to say that this is invaluable comparison for someone like me. I know this must have been rather time-consuming so THANK YOU.

Cool comparison! V30-EN-08 IRs sounded best to me. I have to say that in a mix the difference between cabs is almost unnoticable in some of those clips. Is it the exactly same mic position on the same speaker but on a different cab Kevin? Just asking because that's actually very informative to know. :) So this English V30 is the one that they do for Marshall or Orange?

Back
Top Bottom