7ms trick question :)

sunil999

hi guys have a question i set up my cab block to ultra res stereo, panned hard left and right ., and put 7ms delay on right cab.. hope I did it right ? This was for
My heavy rhythm sound ...can I use this setting as well for my lead/solo preset? Will it work?

as long as you're running stereo it should work fine. If you run this in mono it might cause a phasing issue. Try upping it to 20ms

Remember the delay on the cab block is not an actual delay, it just emulates phase mismatch (as I understand it)

hi guys have a question i set up my cab block to ultra res stereo, panned hard left and right ., and put 7ms delay on right cab.. hope I did it right ? This was for
My heavy rhythm sound ...can I use this setting as well for my lead/solo preset? Will it work?

I had a look in the Cab Block. the highest delay I can see is 1.000 ms. When you say 7ms delay, do you mean

I am interested as I plan to do some recording soon and was going to try a stereo guitar signal using this method.

Thx.

Remember the delay on the cab block is not an actual delay, it just emulates phase mismatch (as I understand it)
It causes the phase mismatch by delaying the audio. It's still a delay just so small our ears won't hear it as a separate repeat.

ok, let me clear this up

there are two things being talked about

1) increasing stereo width
2) introducing a phase mis-alignment to change tone

1) if you want to increase stereo width, then you don't do this in the cab block. use the
a) enhancer block - classic mode will introduce a delay between the left and right channels, or modern will use a more sophisticated algorithm to increase width
b) use a delay block set to somewhere between 6 and 20ms. run the digital mono in a parallel path at 100% wet, with the delay panned one way and above that, run a volume or filter block panned the other way - exactly the same result as using the classic enhancer,but with longer delay times available

2) using a delay in the cab block. both cabs must be panned centre for this to work. add a delay between 0.02 and 0.08ms to simulate the phase mis-alignment which can occur when using multiple mics on a cab, which are set at different distances from that cab. you will notice a reduction in bass and a softening of the high end, the larger the delay value becomes.

Last edited:
ok, let me clear this up
2) using a delay in the cab block. both cabs must be panned centre for this to work. add a delay between 0.002 and 0.008ms to simulate the phase mis-alignment which can occur when using multiple mics on a cab, which are set at different distances from that cab. you will notice a reduction in bass and a softening of the high end, the larger the delay value becomes.

0.002 msec delay equates to about 0.7mm distance. I doubt any engineer will setup microphones on real cabs with that precision.

ok, let me clear this up

there are two things being talked about

1) increasing stereo width
2) introducing a phase mis-alignment to change tone

1) if you want to increase stereo width, then you don't do this in the cab block. use the
a) enhancer block - classic mode will introduce a delay between the left and right channels, or modern will use a more sophisticated algorithm to increase width
b) use a delay block set to somewhere between 6 and 20ms. run the digital mono in a parallel path at 100% wet, with the delay panned one way and above that, run a volume or filter block panned the other way - exactly the same result as using the classic enhancer,but with longer delay times available

2) using a delay in the cab block. both cabs must be panned centre for this to work. add a delay between 0.02 and 0.08ms to simulate the phase mis-alignment which can occur when using multiple mics on a cab, which are set at different distances from that cab. you will notice a reduction in bass and a softening of the high end, the larger the delay value becomes.
Awesome - thanks for the explanation - appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom