7 PIN MIDI Cables

oddb0d

Inspired
I would have posted this to my old Axe FX Accesories thread, but it's gone? Not sure why.....

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=305&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Anyway, I was curious if anyone had found a better 7 PIN MIDI Cable than the HOSA one. I would like one with Neutrik jacks and etc. Also it MUST have straight connectors not right angled. I hate those....

What are people using these days? Mark at Lava cable doesn't make them.

xrist04 said:
I'm using the RMM900 7-pin MIDI cable (30') from Rocktron. US$18 - 25 online. http://jacksmusicstore.com/catalog/guitar/amps/rocktron/ftd-amp-rtn-i~rmm900

If you have to have Neutrik connectors, you can buy them separately and solder them on yourself? About US$1.13 each http://stores.channeladvisor.com/daleproaudio/items/item.aspx?itemid=2603414
+1 on the RMM900 Rocktron 7to7. Its been through the grinder and still takes a beatin!

If you want some mogami midi 7pin to 7 Pin - go to redco.com email Chris

OK I am going down the make your own cable route. I don't want 30' of cable... 15 is more than enough for me. Does anyone have a link to the 7 PIN MIDI cable specs (connection diagram for both ends)?

I'm using the Rocktron one. No problems with the cable but I'm worried about the MIDI jack sockets on the Axe itself becoming worn out. I'm constantly pulling out and reinserting jacks into the In port as I switch from using my pedalboard to running to/from my Mac. It seems to me the inclusion of a USB port in the design of the Axe would have negated this potential for damage to the MIDI sockets not to mention making computer-interfacing a whole lot easier. :/

Stringtheorist said:
I'm using the Rocktron one. No problems with the cable but I'm worried about the MIDI jack sockets on the Axe itself becoming worn out. I'm constantly pulling out and reinserting jacks into the In port as I switch from using my pedalboard to running to/from my Mac. It seems to me the inclusion of a USB port in the design of the Axe would have negated this potential for damage to the MIDI sockets not to mention making computer-interfacing a whole lot easier. :/

You could have a simple rack interface to go behind the Axe FX and put a permanent connection between the Axe FX and the interface. That way you won't wear anything out? Alternatively, if you have a Liquid Foot Pro you could hook it up to the Liquid Edge / Tracks and use the ethernet connector. Then have a short MIDI cable from the Edge / Tracks to the Axe FX. You could leave that in permanently.

I'm having trouble finding 7 pin MIDI cable. Seems a lot of it might be too thick for the connectors. Has anyone made a 7 PIN MIDI? Any hints / tips?

P.S. My Ultra #2 arrives next week ;-)

oddb0d said:
You could have a simple rack interface to go behind the Axe FX and put a permanent connection between the Axe FX and the interface. That way you won't wear anything out?

This is what I did, except my interface is on the front panel. And I got lazy and never finished it. :lol: But basically my front and FX loop input (for piezo), some of the outs, EXP pedals, and the MIDI are all to be accessible through the front, with everything just permanently connected to the Axe in the back. I've got all the connectors and cable and whatnot, but I got lazy half way through it and stopped. One day I'll finish it. :lol:

Funny you should say that. I just pulled the trigger on having a half space interface made for the front of my rack. I am tired of trying to see back there with a flashlight switch back and forth to hook up the editor. The interface will have midi in, midi out, 2 XLR outs for the FBTs, 2 1/4 inch AUX inputs and a 3.5 MM stereo input (for MP3 player or laptop).

Since I play with my rack on my right side, it makes sense to have the XLR outputs for the FBTs in front.

Anyone know where I can get a 7-pin female socket for front-panel mounting? Preferrably "D-size" if that says anything to you?

GummiTZ said:
Anyone know where I can get a 7-pin female socket for front-panel mounting? Preferrably "D-size" if that says anything to you?
You try searching "7 pin din female"?
I don't know what "D-size" is.

Tried searching yes, but I cannot find any in "D-size". It is primarily used by neutric, but also other 3rd party suppliers. This is an example of a D-size chassi mount XLR:

neutrik_xlr_chassis_han_nc3md_lx_bag_largelightbox.jpg

GummiTZ said:
Email Chris Stubbs - chris AT redco.com , He prolly can get anything you need.

GummiTZ said:
Tried searching yes, but I cannot find any in "D-size". It is primarily used by neutric, but also other 3rd party suppliers. This is an example of a D-size chassi mount XLR:

neutrik_xlr_chassis_han_nc3md_lx_bag_largelightbox.jpg

Did you look at mouser.com?

oddb0d said:
OK for those who want a more durable high quality MIDI cable. Here's the best I could find. Not too bad on pricing either....

http://best-tronics.com/guitar-cable/MIDI/midi7.aspx

You can get 8 position barrel right angle MIDI cables too which is very cool but not ready made... That you would need the http://www.fullcompass.com/product/246806.html - Best Tronics sell them cheaper but I cannot find it right now...

I just ordered two 7 pin midi cables from them. I will report back when they arrive.

MKeditor said:
Funny you should say that. I just pulled the trigger on having a half space interface made for the front of my rack. I am tired of trying to see back there with a flashlight switch back and forth to hook up the editor. The interface will have midi in, midi out, 2 XLR outs for the FBTs, 2 1/4 inch AUX inputs and a 3.5 MM stereo input (for MP3 player or laptop).

Since I play with my rack on my right side, it makes sense to have the XLR outputs for the FBTs in front.

With whom did you contract for the interface? I'd like one with a direct to FOH, an XLR to my monitor, midi in, midi out. That would be much better than the flashlight in the mouth cable wrestling during quick load-ins.

Thanks, BF3

Back
Top Bottom