7.0 firmware, come on guys

dheissner

I've "upgraded" to 7.0 and come on guys, None of my old presets sound good at all. Yes I've read the other posts, I've now spent hours making all the suggested tweaks and still my old great sounds sound like bum.

Going back to 6.x, what a major disappointment and joke release. Sorry to be so negative just putting out a different opinion from all the "you don't have to upgrade", "they're doing you a favor by having a new release" posts. I couldn't agree less those opinions.

Upgrading firmware should Never entirely ruin your old setup.

Cheers!

Sounds like something's wrong.
Do the factory patches sound okay?

What does "bum" sound like? :p

Have you checked the global EQ?

Hopefully you'll give the new code another try. I think there are some significant advantages to 7.0 versus previous releases. For me, they were strong enough to warrant my going back and re-tweaking my patches. The reworked power amp modeling, alone, was enough to convince me.

OTOH, calling it a "joke release" was probably a little over the top.

my patches sounded better. Yes I tweaked them a little bit. I tweak all the time just to fine tune for the venue.
I love this update and found it to be very useful.
My 2 cents,
Terry

Mine sounded bad as well... having a tough time re-working them. i had a real good vh patch and it sounds like total ass now. My main chunky rhythm tone was decimated. A work in progress for sure.. and about the time i get this fixed there will be another fimrware ;) I upgraded because i want the new amps.. so it's a give and take thing.

Thats a bit odd the patches I made sounded worlds better without tweaking.

When you get some time give it another try - it may be worth it.

So guys, do you think we need to show him where the "Sound Good" hidden parameter is? Not everyone finds that one on their own. :lol:

Sounds like something's wrong. Are you using drive pedals? Some of those parameters may need to be reverted (just move the type knob one away and then one back). Global amps? You may need to correct the bias.

There's not a huge difference in the sound to begin with, so I can't see why it would magically make it sound like crap. I suspect it's some problem like I just said, where you need to update your presets for the new parameters.

I'll have to admit that i had a bad time as well. (My first gig was a real nightmare.)
Mainly down to the Editor problems with drive blocks among other things.
After i realised the problem, i had gone so far down the track of re-editing my old patches
that i didn't want to scrap it all and start again so i kept going.
I found that the bright cap values made a significant difference (good & bad) to my existing sounds.
I found i had to turn the value way down if i had 'bright' enabled.

For all my trouble though i wouldn't roll back.
Rev.7.00 is a major improvement even with my troubles.

I feel a bit sorry for the guys who had a sound nailed down before an upgrade only to lose it.
I don't really feel that way because my sounds are constantly evolving anyway and the upgrades generally bring worthy improvements.

I'm sure the sound is still there even though you may have to dig around for it.

Didn't really notice a change to my personal patches one bit when upgrading. I actually did a before and after test and nothing noticable to my own programmed sounds. Not sure what version exactly you upgragded from , the times when I do hear a major difference would be when they added cab sims and it shifted the cab sims order, and putting the wrong ones in places. I would check there first.

Chuk said:
I'll have to admit that i had a bad time as well. (My first gig was a real nightmare.)
After i realised the problem, i had gone so far down the track of re-editing my old patches
I found that the bright cap values made a significant difference (good & bad) to my existing sounds.

I feel a bit sorry for the guys who had a sound nailed down before an upgrade only to lose it.
I don't really feel that way because my sounds are constantly evolving anyway and the upgrades generally bring worthy improvements.

I'm sure the sound is still there even though you may have to dig around for it.
Exactly my experience as well -- Cliff has added several new parameters which are not "zeroed" to whatever the suggested default value is; you need to do that yourself. The bias and bright cap ones can really wreak havoc on your sound if you don't set them appropriately.

Hopefully you'll get the gremlins out of your sound, because I don't think that everyone here is just a bunch of fanboys hearing things when we say how much better 7.00 sounds.

steverosburg said:
Chuk said:

Exactly my experience as well -- Cliff has added several new parameters which are not "zeroed" to whatever the suggested default value is; you need to do that yourself. The bias and bright cap ones can really wreak havoc on your sound if you don't set them appropriately.

Hopefully you'll get the gremlins out of your sound, because I don't think that everyone here is just a bunch of fanboys hearing things when we say how much better 7.00 sounds.

All you have to do to get the amps to there designed default parameters is change the amp type to another amp then back to your original amp. It will then have the intended default parameters.

dheissner said:
I've "upgraded" to 7.0 and come on guys, None of my old presets sound good at all. Yes I've read the other posts, I've now spent hours making all the suggested tweaks and still my old great sounds sound like bum.

Going back to 6.x, what a major disappointment and joke release. Sorry to be so negative just putting out a different opinion from all the "you don't have to upgrade", "they're doing you a favor by having a new release" posts. I couldn't agree less those opinions.

Cheers!

If you're using any Global Amps you'll have to have to go into Amp Block Edit Mode, deselect and then reselect the Amp Type (make sure that you make a note of any advanced amp parameters yopu have changed because recalling the amp type will reload the default settings, and the tweaks you've done will be lost), then save the Preset (after re-entering your own advanced amp parameters).
Your presets will sound the same as they did befoer the firmware update, maybe even a bit better.

Any time a firmware update contains new amp block parameters the Global Amps get all f..... up.

I have no sympathy for you....lol well maybe a little, but I am 100% in favor of Cliff to keep tweaking away to make the Axe all it can be!

dheissner said:

Cheers!

...yeah, cheers, mate!

... :lol:

...so you must mean that "they're," meaning Cliff and Marty..."they" ruined your old set-up... :lol: Are you sure?

...come on, dude!

...the firmware upgrade's are a gift...I am very thankful for them!

Yes it is frustrating! v5 and 6 were a nightmare for me too. I know Cliff said there were no updates to fundamentally change the sound and any perceived change was psychological, but I really heard them, perceived or not.

Now with v7, I don't see why your having a problem cause to me everything seems more natural and ampish. Have patience, keep tweaking, and if nothing is wrong as others have suggested, you'll get there. If not, everyone suggested to me going back to where you were I was happy... you can always do that to... I'm glad I didn't. Good luck man!

I had an issue with my fav "Brown" patch, as it sounded a bit dull. Tweaked for a few minutes and it sounds better than ever.

I think on patches with LOTS of poweramp impact, you can hear a difference.

Most other patches sounded great.

And then, tweaking is fun with the Axe anyways :cool:

Back
Top Bottom