60% cab, AC to 50 and PU's guitar optimized for FRFR and all amps come to live!

musicman0001

Experienced
I am sooooooo happy!

Since FW 20.X the improvements till today (21.02 beta) have reached for me that I do not need to go into heavy tweaking to get all amps to work with my guitar. And lately almost all amps and effects sound and feel super great. And what I definitely notice is the 3D feeling and that amps suddely open up and "bloom". And with the latest implementation also the compressors are super and I can use almost all compressors without messing up the sound.

When I started with modelling (line6 UX and all HD models) I was NEVER happy as all my IR's and or amps would never work the way I wanted it. Then AXE FX 2 came (uhm I bought it haha) and I was super impressed with the quality compared to the Helix. I even sold most of my amps and effects as with tweaks I could make it work for me. Home with IR's and with band I used cab. So still with tube power amp and cab.

Then I went for AXE FX 3. Better then Ares, but still struggling with certain frequenties and tweaks. The feel was already better than FX2 Ares. Then update after update things got better and better. With the latest beta version the sound and usability of amps and effects has been super.

Of course it also got better as I learned a lot about amps and IR's and settings that work for me AND some things that worked and improved A LOT and made my life so much easier, I wanna share some with you.

Number one being:
Made sure that my guitar and especially my pick-up settings are correct with my reference IR, JCM 800 on stock settings with reference songs (Sweet Home Alabama for Tele PU's, All Right Now for Humbucker) & then at least 2 other amps I use (Fender for SRV Strat sounds and JPC Pull me Under preset both again with reference music). I do this for both my versatile guitars: Musicman Steve Morse (Gibson Les Paul/Fender Tele sounds, even some good stratty tones) and Ibanez AZ stratocaster with great (classic) strat sounds and some extra due to humbucker and dynaswitch. (And I do this on high volume (!!) - see "Close Second).

Close second:
Get your monitors setup right with volume high and have the stereo image set up correct and try to find the sweetspot (especially for bass and highs, that it's not boxy) and I forgot to mention that this is for both audio and guitar sound from axe fx. This is important for several reasons to do on high volume. The first being the most underestimated (especially when going with IR's and FRFR) as the effect of Fletcher Munson ( https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/what-is-fletcher-munson-curve-equal-loudness-curves.html ) but also because you will have the impact from your speakers on the strings and guitar which and you will earlier hit the blooming and 3D like sound (at least that is my experience). And when I want to save a preset for future use I always check the preset wit ha reference sound and guitar set up correct (tuned and PU's referenced) on LOUD volume. And for this reference I always use the same reference presets with always ONE IR)

ONE IR with cab adjustement on 60% - low cut at 80 and high cut 15000 (with above taken care of first)
After playing around so much I suddely had something that worked for my room and studio set-up. From a preset that I downloaded from @Burgs I started using one of the IR's to match burgs sound and when using it with other amps I found a setting that worked for so many amps with my 2 guitars tuned to the IR. Only for the MESA's I have to make different MARK EQ settings.
1675884631344.png
1675884722005.png

After I found all correct settings I NEVER had such good sound.

And also all other amps and their settings remain or are in line with normal prefferred settings for the specific sounds. Only some presence settings are lowered as the IR I use is giving quite some frequenties in the high. And it's not a dark IR.

And last but not least also other Amps I didn't like before start to be really great fun to play and also pedals are less troublesome. (I didnt use much fuzz due to this and the dumble never worked for me (now it does!! and indeed a great non high gain amp as are the two stone amps).
Of course the last settings could only work for me or my environment (a non threated small rectangled room).

Anyway's: due to all my work I really appreciate the axe fx even more (as I can almost use standard or stock settings. And I can now also see that certain amps use similar settings for bass, gain and treble to get a specific sound, except the presence.1675885453247.png

Assume he meant Speaker Compliance as in one of his screenshots - OP can confirm.

I am curious which IR/IRs you are using.

Thanks.

Help me understand. How do you “make sure that my guitar and especially my pick-up settings are correct with my reference IR?”

Help me understand. How do you “make sure that my guitar and especially my pick-up settings are correct with my reference IR?”

1. I always use the above IR's , as it gives details in the high (which I cut off at 15000 and lows at 80 (so the bass has it's place in the band and changing amps will not influence the bass to much as some are bass heavy and others are not)

2. I have choosen 5 songs that I want to reference my guitar to. So the behaviour of the pickups and the sound is at it's optimum.

3. I use stock settings JCM 800 to get the marshall tones with Humbucker Gibson and Tele (see songs) but also that ALL other pickup do not sound weird or as they should. For me it can already be very small adaptation to get my TELECASTER sound.

4. I use (different) Fender Amps that give me the Fender Sound I want and test this also with double boosted T808 and with boosted T808 and Fuzz.

For this I play around with ALL the pickup. Especially with IR's I feel this is very important.

Will save you some time: here is a small preset to test the IR and the amps. Most things are standard or stock settings.

NOTE:
  • Channel A of cab = no low cut (adjust to taste for your setup!)
  • Change power cycle to 60 ( I changed things to 50 and seems to work here) as with studio monitors I can hear and feel the effect.
  • These are all standard settings (accept the power cycle 50 and the speaker compliance)
  • To have your highs corrected, play with the precence or high cut (first set your low cut, could be solving the problem already)

My ONLY tweaks and maybe not working on your end:
1675962781491-png.115849
1676042578172.png

Tested with Musicman Steve Morse with ADAMS monitors and also tested with RED SOUND MF10 (and that's why there is low cut at 80 so the bassplayer is happy (!)

I took down the low cut in the hope it's working at your end, but the preset is verified at low cut 80.

No LOW CUT Channel A Cut at 80 for happy bassplayer
1676042742520.png 1676042775872.png

Both sounds should be in the ballpark of the sounds if you have set your PU's correct to the following reference songs:
  • JCM 800 -> all right now and basck to the river (and middle pickup Sweet Home Alabama, from my musicman)
  • 6G4 Super with and without stomps and effect with effect - SRV Tin Alley/Little Wing/Could Not Stand The Weather

1676043098169.png

I have set my SPEAKERS so they sound good on AXE FX output one on MAX with +4DB and speakers have the least "overly bass and highs not amplified by the room too much). I used for having the best sound on Michael Jackson, Pink Floyd and Wicked Game.

Attachments

• REFERENCE IR and setup.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 1676043032764.png
    1676043032764.png
    266.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1676043051357.png
    1676043051357.png
    266.9 KB · Views: 1
Wondering how it sounds on YOUR end!
Maybe we can share some idea's to improve preset sharing.

The only presets that really work at my end and the once from @Burgs. The once from Cooper Carter and Leon Todd almost worked (the LT 7 is not defined enough for me and the others color too much for my taste and home studio..

Please share your preset with no tweaks and with standard settings. (what is normal for the amp or close to it)

Back
Top Bottom