6.0 vs 5.07

I've rolled back to 5.07 for now. I had saved/backed up in case I would. I went thru this when 5 came out as I only have some much time and geeky-ness in me. When the right 6 for me comes along, I'll keep it and be very content. How many companies are truly this interactive with their customer base? Not too many have this level of dedication, so I don't 'worry too much'! ;) "Are we there yet?"

Thanks all, this is very reassuring and helpful!

My experience whith 6.0:

Great, amazing sounding presets. Very close to real amps. I've used it live, it was great. Not much tweaking needed. I love it!

I don't undestand how can someone like 5.7 (that was great too) and not like 6.0.

What i think is the worst thing about it, it's tone match. That was realy desappointing to me becouse it was so publicized. I don't know if my attempts were done the rigth way but the patches i've tried didn't impress me at all.

Overall it's a very good FW, i'm happy. I've said it before, i say it again, if 6.0 doen't sound right you are doing something wrong

My experience whith 6.0:

Overall it's a very good FW, i'm happy. I've said it before, i say it again, if 6.0 doen't sound right you are doing something wrong

Really!?!?!? Some of the amps are better, the Fenders are not. The Fenders were my main clean & lightly distorted amps & 6 made it much harder to get the sounds I like out of Fenders based on 45+ years experience with REAL Fender amps. So, precisely, what am I & everyone else having the same problems I am are doing wrong?

Really!?!?!? Some of the amps are better, the Fenders are not. The Fenders were my main clean & lightly distorted amps & 6 made it much harder to get the sounds I like out of Fenders based on 45+ years experience with REAL Fender amps. So, precisely, what am I & everyone else having the same problems I am are doing wrong?

Not resetting system defaults maybe?
Or running MV too high

I'm amazed at how many of the people that have complained about the fender sims being off (not just in this firmware) run the MV cranked in their patches, which is not something that sounds good on the real amp either.

Not resetting system defaults maybe?
Or running MV too high

I'm amazed at how many of the people that have complained about the fender sims being off (not just in this firmware) run the MV cranked in their patches, which is not something that sounds good on the real amp either.

None of the fender amps modeled by the Axe had master volumes. I am having to run them lower than 9 (9 being what Fractal recommends to re-create a non MV amp). Reset or not, same issue with the Fender sims being way to delicate & going into distortion way sooner than any Fender I have ever owned. Hopefully 6.01 will fix this. If not, I have found workarounds. The point being, it should not be this hard to get a basic clean Fender sound out of a twin or 65 bassman.

None of the fender amps modeled by the Axe had master volumes. I am having to run them lower than 9 (9 being what Fractal recommends to re-create a non MV amp). Reset or not, same issue with the Fender sims being way to delicate & going into distortion way sooner than any Fender I have ever owned. Hopefully 6.01 will fix this. If not, I have found workarounds. The point being, it should not be this hard to get a basic clean Fender sound out of a twin or 65 bassman.

Have you tried lowering the Transformer Match value to .9 or .85? Have you lowered the Triode Hardness to 0?

I like what that has done to make the Twin punchier.

What the heck is a Triode anyway? And what do you mean by "hardness"?

A triode is a type of tube, usually a preamp tube. From the wiki:

"Triode Hardness parameter

This parameter has been added in firmware 2.0. Release notes: "This parameter controls how sharply the triodes enter saturation and can be used to simulate softer or harder tubes. The default value is 5.0 and is set to this value whenever the type is changed. The effect of this is subtle and most apparent at edge of breakup. Lower values give softer saturation, higher values give a more aggressive breakup."

What I'm finding is that when you drop it to 0, the amp has more punch & stays clean longer (with a hotter input signal).

it doesn't matter to me what recommendations are made by whom. i turn the knobs to where they sound good. my fender amps have a MV of 6 and a drive of around 1.5 and they are clean for days.

The Mesa gain sounds are not as good, dull & flat sounding & The Fenders definitely break up waay too easily, especially the Doubleverb. I have never had to work so hard to get a clean sound out of a Fender in 45+ years of playing. I hope 6.01 will fix this but I doubt it since Cliff seems to refuse to acknowledge there is a problem.

I'm not having these issues at all. What kind of guitar(s) are you using? If you can give me something (guitar + preset/patch + other Axe settings) I can try to replicate, I'll give it a go.

As I just said, I'm not having any of those issues at all. And I own 20 or so amps, many of them Fender Tweed/Blackface style.

Thanks for the offer of help jshirkey but I have found the workarounds to get the sound I wanted. I know you can just keep turing down the gain & MV but at such low levels it just doesn't sound as good. The trick is to get not just clean but crystal clean with the nice big tone I've had since V1. Default settings on the V6 Fender sims don't come close to what I had before. What made it work for me was sag below 1.00, triode hardness at 0 to .650 & transformer match at .875 to .900. Totally bizarre settings compared to what worked on all previous versions but at least I finally got what I was after. This will all go out the window when 6.01 drops although I think from the hints from Scott ,what I have done will be closer to the default so it's all good!:p

Thanks for the offer of help jshirkey but I have found the workarounds to get the sound I wanted. I know you can just keep turing down the gain & MV but at such low levels it just doesn't sound as good. The trick is to get not just clean but crystal clean with the nice big tone I've had since V1. Default settings on the V6 Fender sims don't come close to what I had before. What made it work for me was sag below 1.00, triode hardness at 0 to .650 & transformer match at .875 to .900. Totally bizarre settings compared to what worked on all previous versions but at least I finally got what I was after. This will all go out the window when 6.01 drops although I think from the hints from Scott ,what I have done will be closer to the default so it's all good!:p

Okay...no problem. Do those settings work for you across the board on all clean/semi-clean Fender amps?

I guess what confused me, though, is that I don't seem to have to do any of the tweaking you describe above. I *will* try those settings, though, just to see what it does to my sound through my particular setup.

There must be a lot of other factors to take into account, I suppose. I'm playing through Focal Solo studio monitors, btw.

I think that everyone's set up is different & also there idea of what "clean" is different too. Also, I was trying to match a particular sound I loved in prior versions. I have tried it on a couple of other models (Cameron CH1, 1987X, Shiva Clean) but I wasn't having this issue with any other clean amps than the Fenders. It does open them up a lot & I am liking the feel but since 6.01 seem to be close, I don't see spending a lot of time tweaking sounds until after that drops. I have also tried lowering the transformer match on the USA Lead 1 & 2 & liked the results.

I fully acknowledge the OP's (and yours and others') frustration with the upgrade cycle. I understand why it exists and am not belittling it or dismissing it any way.

I also fully acknowledge that if you have it all dialed in and it's inspiring to you, then you might just leave the upgrade cycle to the 'more new firmware... now!' junkies (and there are a lot of them. LOL!). Then when you are ready for a change - and everyone that's owned a spectacular amp that they love to play knows that even if you are happy and inspired... at some point you just want something different - then venture into the current existing firmware.

To add some humor to truth here - don't fix things that are not broken...[snip]

But I'll point out - and with zero condescension or attitude at all - you don't have to chase this monster at every turn. If you get it dialed in and it is inspiring you - and it has to inspire you as a musician IMHO - then just let the folks that want to chase new firmware chase new firmware. I am one of the crazy fools that loves this stuff; you might not be. When you need something that a new firmware adds (ie. improved rotary in the next firmware is freaking unbelievable) then go for it. If not? Then stand pat and just... play.

Well, I spent several hours tweaking yesterday and today and have got my clean preset back to where it was but it sounds better. I also got my MFC set up so I'm good to go for my next gig. I do have to admit that most of the time was spent playing which was great! I'm going to focus on my distorted preset tonight after the kids go to bed. I have to say now that I have one of my core sounds dialed in, that 6.0 is really a profound step forward. I did some of my tweaking yesterday with headphones and I don't think I've ever been able to get the type of touch sensitivity and feel using headphones before. In addition, it translated perfectly to my powered speaker, which I'm not sure has ever happened in the past for me.

Not upgrading is easier said than done. For example, with 6.0 it was several weeks/?months? from the time the beta testers started talking about it and posting clips until the final firmware was posted. From someone sitting on the sideline watching and listening you build up a bit of anticipation :)

I don't know what the beta test process is like but would assume that the testers all collaborate and talk in some way during the cycle. Is there any way that the beta testers could put together a tip sheet or guide for the major upgrades that require preset rebuilding? It could be as simple as a sticky post on the forum. As I was tweaking yesterday I found a bunch of suggestions on the forum but they were all in different places (i.e., turning the gain down on the Fender amps, transformer match/master volume adjustment/setting the level). It would be a nice resource for all of us who don't routinely tweak the unit. I know you all are probably as busy as us with other stuff but it seems like it is members of the beta group that is always pointing us in the right direction. Bring on 6.01 ;)

P.S. I haven't tried the tone match function yet but I wonder if that could be used in any way when there is a major upgrade? It would be cool if the unit would analyze the older version preset and adjust the new firmware version parameters accordingly. Maybe I'll add it to the wish list.

I wonder if the problem is not 6.0, but simply a missing document, by Cliff, that explains what´s changed and how it works (now).

I mean, with all the effort that went into 6.0 and all the parameters there are (that most of us cannot begin to comprehend) - how should we best approach it?

I use quite hot pups.. and I found the neck pup kinda 'difficult' for a while..
I could get a nice bridge lead tone and kill the neck pup tone.. and then the reverse...

the other night I dropped the height of the pups.. the bridge just a little and the neck by quite a lot and it made quite a difference..
the tone for both pups improved greatly and is now far more balanced..

the Axe seems to me to be far more responsive the the input tone than any other fx unit I've ever had
this is of course a double edged sword...
on one hand, even buried under all that gain you can still hear the guitar's voice..
on the other, your different guitars and their configs / setups sound less consistent..

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that it's as important to dial the guitar into the Axe as it is to dial the Axe into your tones..

I agree, which is why I *wish* there were a guitar page, where you set a global input level, comp, maybe noise gate, and EQ for each of your guitars (and name 'em).Unplug theDanny, plug in the strat, go to the guit page, pick the strat, it's all good.

It's almost like the axe is designed for guys who only gig with one guitar.On an amp, I can grab the input gain -it's ona 'dedicated' knob. On the Axe I need to go into I/O? Being able to pre-set some simple guitar specific parameters for each axe on your wall makes perfect sense to me.

I found it best to Sometimes Start Over.

Double Clicking the Bypass Button (On the Axe2) when you are on the AMP Block.
This Loads the Amp to it's "New" Default Settings.

For me, I had to do this a lot with the Fender and Mesa Patches I had.

I personally like my 6.0 sounds better than my 5.07 sounds.
It did take some work...

Back
Top Bottom