59 Deluxe

Those speakers sound okay in the room but they just don't take mics well. Probably why they aren't that popular on recordings. In the far-field they sound pretty good but close up they are nasally and boxy. Takes a lot of work to find a sweet spot, if there even is one.

That hasn't been my experience.

The Victoria is a nice amp. I've been able to play through a real one. Enjoyed it, but I didn't feel like I was missing anything as opposed to playing through my Axe FX.

Deluxe Tweed is my absolute favorite amp in the Axe for overdriven and edge of breakup tones.

Here is a patch for you to check out (made on a James Tyler Tylerbastar Nashville setup)

Depending on how you set it up, a good vintage Tweed Deluxe (or a good replica like a Victoria) can yield you a smooth creamy almost "dumble" like overdriven tone that cuts through the mix rather nicely.

Deluxe Tweed Patch

Scene 1 is edge of breakup --
Scene 2 Overdriven
Scene 3 Overdriven - longer delay
Scene 4 Overdriven/fatter - longer delay

I had an earlier 50's Deluxe years ago. 5C3? Great amp. I also had a Victoria Tweed Deluxe with a Celestion Blue that sounded really good.

For some reason I have not had much luck dialing in the 5E3 model in the Axe II. I'll have to give it another go. I'd be curious to know how the 5E3 model in the Axe stacks up to the amp in the OP. Of course vintage amps can vary greatly...

Attachments

• Deluxe-Tweed T.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
That's really cool...I have a friend with a lot of older amps that I'd really like to make IR's from....studio guy...has nice mics/desk, API, Avalon pre's, nice outboard gear, etc. I've been wanting to do this for a while and might be something to do over the winter if I can just find the time.

I like the newest FAS UR/DI capture IR's a lot (not only the sound but how they've efficiently reduced the number of captures) and wonder if there is any info they could pass onto the community so users could get the best IR captures of these types of incredible amps that we have access to?

Do you have a standard positioning strategy? What is it you listen for at each position to determine the final placements, stuff like that. I realize there is no paint by numbers method here but any tips to get the best UR/DI captures would be great. FAS samples a lot of cabinets with a lot of mics in a short time in a studio so am wondering what kind of general workflows you may have discovered and can pass on to use time efficiently and get usable captures.

The ultimate would be if FAS could come up with a process/template that techie users could employ (that wouldn't give any trade secrets away, etc.) to measure signals, voltages, G3 data, etc. and send that info back to FAS for incorporation into sims. All the amps the world over could be cloned to live forever and never die (like a bad science fiction movie lol). Imagine how cool that would be...1,345 AC30 variants heh..

Actually, that sounds a lot like being caught in KPA hell constantly shuffling through profiles to find one you like...

Hmmm, interesting point, perhaps not then...ok I'd just settle for the occasional unique variant like an AC30 discovered in a attic with the magic mojo lol

Deluxe Tweed is my absolute favorite amp in the Axe for overdriven and edge of breakup tones.

Here is a patch for you to check out (made on a James Tyler Tylerbastar Nashville setup)

Depending on how you set it up, a good vintage Tweed Deluxe (or a good replica like a Victoria) can yield you a smooth creamy almost "dumble" like overdriven tone that cuts through the mix rather nicely.

Deluxe Tweed Patch

Scene 1 is edge of breakup --
Scene 2 Overdriven
Scene 3 Overdriven - longer delay
Scene 4 Overdriven/fatter - longer delay

Looks like you have an XL or XL+. I have an early AxeFX II so I can't use the preset. If you get time to save the amp block itself I can import that. Thanks anyway!

@Tex Axe, I like the volume pedal for dry signal only. That is a cool idea.

Well I went back to check the amp NO SOUND so I looked at what controller was on Volume and tried to put that to ext 1
it would not work then I thought well heard or read something about things being already set where ext 1 is volume anyway
so I just selected things to none and sound passed again.. a while ago my friend who taught me these things had
set this up differently I had volume wah and I think a whammy pedal I did not use whammy so much so I ditched it
and had to go back and reset what the controllers did...

Btw everything you see on my screenshots was taught to me by funeral I would be lost still without his help and insight
so he taught me that signal path and how to set things up just to give credit where its due Funeral taught me that....
I build my patches the same way and they sound great that way...

Thank you Funeral !

You all have inspired me to go into my studio and re-visit the Deluxe Tweed. I cannot say how awesome the last couple hours have been. I could coax out pretty much full spectrum of sounds by changing volume and pickup settings.(PRS 24). I honestly had one of those days that jus make you love to play guitar. The Deluxe Tweed in Q1.01 smokes without touching a single setting. I LOVE that amp.

You all have inspired me to go into my studio and re-visit the Deluxe Tweed. I cannot say how awesome the last couple hours have been. I could coax out pretty much full spectrum of sounds by changing volume and pickup settings.(PRS 24). I honestly had one of those days that jus make you love to play guitar. The Deluxe Tweed in Q1.01 smokes without touching a single setting. I LOVE that amp.

Completely agree. It is my main preset amp model now. I goose the treble though. It holds up really well even with a bright guitar.

Absolutely agree about the treble. A 5E3 only has a tone control, not separate bass and treble controls. I lower the bass quite a bit which is a definite advantage over the "real world" counterpart.

I'm glad this topic came back up and that I revisited this amp model. I never kept any of the 5e3's that I owned on the past due to lack of clean headroom. There was no way to use one with a moderately loud drummer unless you had a good way to mic and monitor the amp which is not practical for a lot of us. Being able to get a variety of 5e3 tones at any volume is a good thing!

The model in the AxeFX is truely great...
What I found is that Crunch under advanced parameters is set very high (60%), which makes the amp compress too much at high gain settings (with a strat with zexcoils). Lowering it to 30% makes that much better... anyone else has observed this?

What I found is that Crunch under advanced parameters is set very high (60%), which makes the amp compress too much at high gain settings (with a strat with zexcoils). Lowering it to 30% makes that much better... anyone else has observed this?

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to experiment with that. But the real 5e3s that I have owned exhibited similar behavior. After about half way up, the amps really didn't get any louder. Just more compressed, flabby, and rattler. There was always a sweet spot. Anything beyond that got progressively more unusable.

The default value is authentic for the amp. This doesn't mean you shouldn't turn it down though. Depends on what you want from the model, authenticity or something a little more "modern". Sometimes I like to turn it up to get something really ratty and nasty.

I leave everything default except:

Set Treble to 8.5-9

Input to taste 3-4 for clean 6-7 for breakup tones 8 if I want to use my gtr volume to change from clean to overdrive

Greenback IR's (weird I know but these speakers seem to bond well to the default spkr page settings for my ears and taste)

Is it possible to explore the 5E3's tonal variances using both channel volume knobs simultaneously (in conjunction with the tone knob, of course), both jumpered and non-jumpered in the AxeFx?
I assume the jumpered options would have to be modeled, correct? If not how can I simulate jumping the channels with the current amp model?
I really appreciate any feedback on this from all the great users on this forum!

I'm talking about the types of tonal variances explored in this video...

Last edited:
I asked this once long ago... Cliff had this to say, which is now archived in the amp model description on the Wiki page http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...els#DELUXE_TWEED_.28based_on_Fender_Deluxe.29

"I had to make some decisions on the model and what you have is based on what I felt offered the best starting point. You have the tools in the model to mold it to your preference. Add some bright cap, increase the input trim, etc. to achieve your own personal sonic goals. Hit the boost switch or increase input trim to simulate jumping the inputs."

So, you can make some edits to simulate it to some extent, but since there are not two Input Drive controls you can't get the same interaction between the two volume controls as you can with the real amp.

Back
Top Bottom