Seriously this is a good example of not "Passion" but "Extra Self Indulgence". If you have skills use them at the right place. This isn't showman ship,it's just not caring for the performance at all. Showmanship is there to enhance a performance not deteriorate a performance. It is pretty funny but even listen to his fills here,they just don't suit the track. The form of the song does not support such playing on the drums. It just didn't click for me at all.

Yea, he steals the attention from the singer and is way over the top, but if I was in the crowd I'd by him a drink for preventing me from falling asleep during the performance since, for me, it would be like watching/hearing paint dry otherwise 8)

Yes, he's bad and has fun doing so :lol
I'm still unsure if it's made up or not.

Anyway, I second the "skills at the right place" comment in the post above. In the end, the groove and taste has to be there, no matter if you're Nick Mason or Marco Minnemann.

My recent favorite drummer video on youtube are actually two videos from Bernard Purdie, where he explains his ghost notes and the "Purdie Shuffle".
Man, this guy got groove, soul and enjoys himself playing like I've seen no other. Always puts a smile on my face watching him.

Yes, he's bad and has fun doing so :lol
I'm still unsure if it's made up or not.

Anyway, I second the "skills at the right place" comment in the post above. In the end, the groove and taste has to be there, no matter if you're Nick Mason or Marco Minnemann.

My recent favorite drummer video on youtube are actually two videos from Bernard Purdie, where he explains his ghost notes and the "Purdie Shuffle".
Man, this guy got groove, soul and enjoys himself playing like I've seen no other. Always puts a smile on my face watching him.
Will check out Bernard Purdie. I am glad you mentioned Marco Minnemann now that is man that has all the skills and tastefully uses the right fills and techniques according to a track.

Will check out Bernard Purdie. I am glad you mentioned Marco Minnemann now that is man that has all the skills and tastefully uses the right fills and techniques according to a track.

I went through a phase, when I was fascinated by virtuoso stuff, regardless of the instrument; probably everybody who's avidly learning an instrument has this phase. But after a while you realize that skills and chops are just tools, secondary means to an end. You can teach a monkey to produce as many notes per sec as possible. And there are alot of monkeys at youtube ;) I got disinterested quickly in hearing the next über guitarist/drummer/etc. and their instrumentals.
Marco is just something other, really a musician who happens to be a great drummer; same as with Guthrie Govan and guitar.

Speaking of Purdie, you may not know him, but I'm sure you've heard him play already: Bernard Purdie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I went through a phase, when I was fascinated by virtuoso stuff, regardless of the instrument; probably everybody who's avidly learning an instrument has this phase. But after a while you realize that skills and chops are just tools, secondary means to an end. You can teach a monkey to produce as many notes per sec as possible. And there are alot of monkeys at youtube ;) I got disinterested quickly in hearing the next über guitarist/drummer/etc. and their instrumentals.
Marco is just something other, really a musician who happens to be a great drummer; same as with Guthrie Govan and guitar.

Speaking of Purdie, you may not know him, but I'm sure you've heard him play already: Bernard Purdie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I couldn't agree more with you on this. I feel virtuosity is something where you know how to display it and not present it like,"Yea I know this stuff now drop your jaws cause I am doing it deliberately". That's something that I am over with. I have definitely listened to Bearnard Purdie then,great drummer I must say. He has great credentials on him without a doubt. In modern drumming my 3 favorites are Gavin Harrison,Marco Minnemann,and Mike Portnoy. Because all three of these have their distinct style and you simply know when they are playing,they have a signature sound to them. These 3 have the chops and use them at the right times and moments. As for guitar players no one shows a better example of what you and I are talking about better than Guthrie Govan. I totally agree.

Generally not widely known... but, easily one of the most under rated drummers around. Such a relaxed style...

[VIDEO=youtube;yWcak9tZupc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWcak9tZupc[/VIDEO]

The poor cat is in misery. Look at his ears - he's not enjoying that the least.

True. Was funny for the first minute but after that I felt for the cat.

As a former cat owner, I never saw a pissed off cat with such patience though. Mine was rather pacifistic but would have slapped me in the face for that stunt. :lol

True. Was funny for the first minute but after that I felt for the cat.

As a former cat owner, I never saw a pissed off cat with such patience though. Mine was rather pacifistic but would have slapped me in the face for that stunt. :lol

Agreed... Pussies make it known when they are pissed-off! ;)

Understand, I'm both a life long cat lover and caretaker. I love my cat and understand them very well. If the cat was truly pissed off, the video would never have gotten made. A cat that doesn't want to be involved in something, simply won't. Also, flat ears don't always indicate annoyance... flat ears with half closed eyes usually indicate a quite relaxed state. Now, ears pinned back is a different story...

I'd say this particular cat doesn't have any big issues with playing the drums.

The poor cat is in misery. Look at his ears - he's not enjoying that the least.
I wouldn't worry too much about the cat. Its tail tells the story. You get occassional gimpses of it, and pretty much all the tail motion comes from the person manipulating its hindquarters. When a cat gets upset, the tail is the first place it shows.

My cat sometimes pins her ears back reflexively when I'm messing with her head. But if I stop, she nudges me for more.

Back
Top Bottom