Another expensive hobby. Cars.

88 911. I had to give up scuba diving once I got back into music.

That's my dream car. Or really, the Singer re-make of this specific 911 is my dream car. But I'd take an '88 too. Saw a cherry one with a whale tail pull in to the parking lot at Best Buy yesterday. The older guy who owned it was pretty nice, let me have a sit inside.

My current ride is an '13 A4:

myaudi.jpg

It's fast and nice, but it's got that Audi quattro drive that feels really safe -- you never feel like it's on the edge the way an old Porsche feels.

1985. 52,000 miles.
It was a mint museum piece until a month or so ago, when my GF backed into it and put a small dent in the engine lid.
It's been fixed. At her expense.

IMG_1240.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 10
I don't have any shots my personal car, but this is it (same color, etc):

2007 Mazdaspeed6 in the Grand Touring trim.

mazda-Mazdaspeed622.jpg

mazda606_041600.jpg

1985. 52,000 miles.
It was a mint museum piece until a month or so ago, when my GF backed into it and put a small dent in the engine lid.
It's been fixed. At her expense.

Be still my beating heart. That is, bar none, my favourite car ever made. The new Singer re-release of the classic 911 shapes is just...perfect. I occasionally think now is the time to buy a mid-80's turbo...and then wuss out when I consider what it'll cost to keep it running! :(

Twin Turbos or Supercharged ? I know the turbos will make more HP on the big end but I like the way a Supercharger hits and the instantaneous throttle response it has. And the tone of the exhaust note makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck

I can't decide on which color for my next toy... What do you guys think Green over Blue or Blu over Green?

Didn't you ask this a few/several months ago? Maybe not here, as I think I've seen it before.....

This is an old pic and no longer own the ride but it was my pride and joy for quite a few years.

Picture009.jpg

Since high school, that has been my favorite-looking american hot rod. Close second is the '70 split bumper - which the neighbor kid across the street had (bought in '87 or 8), in much the same performance range as yours. He'd take big blocks off the line. I took him to first see it, and the guy had straight headers on it. He said one reason he was selling it was because the old lady next door called the cops every time he started it up. We could barely hear each other inside it, yelling at the top of our lungs.

When I was a kid, my favorite hot rod was the Matchbox or Hotwheels candy apple red and white topped, I think, '70 Challenger. Also, a teacher at my high school had a sort of maroon-brown stock Olds 442, with round tail lights (which I have not seen another since). Loved that car.

I've never had anything fast, but nowadays if money were no option I might have, I want to say, an Aston Martin Valkyrie...something like that. 200+ mph, but four doors, and luxury that beats about anything. But my '95 Lexus ES300 is actually the car I wanted when it came out, and now they're so cheap, as are parts, relatively speaking.

Last edited:
Didn't you ask this a few/several months ago? Maybe not here, as I think I've seen it before.....

Since high school, that has been my favorite-looking american hot rod. Close second is the '70 split bumper - which the neighbor kid across the street had (bought in '87 or 8), in much the same performance range as yours. He'd take big blocks off the line. I took him to first see it, and the guy had straight headers on it. He said one reason he was selling it was because the old lady next door called the cops every time he started it up. We could barely hear each other inside it, yelling at the top of our lungs.

When I was a kid, my favorite hot rod was the Matchbox or Hotwheels candy apple red and white topped, I think, '70 Challenger. Also, a teacher at my high school had a sort of maroon-brown stock Olds 442, with round tail lights (which I have not seen another since). Loved that car.

I've never had anything fast, but nowadays if money were no option I might have, I want to say, an Aston Martin Valkyrie...something like that. 200+ mph, but four doors, and luxury that beats about anything. But my '95 Lexus ES300 is actually the car I wanted when it came out, and now they're so cheap, as are parts, relatively speaking.

:lol I might have, just looking for opinions on that color scheme. I don't believe I ever received any input on that post. The orignal color of that car is Red and silver, I had a forum member on another forum that I frequent (Glamis Dunes) Photo Shop it. It must have had an impact on you as you remembered it :D.

It is a very addicting and expensive hobby, the best way I can describe it is it's like riding in a roller coster that you can steer and control the speed of :encouragement:. This hobby is like herion for me once I start I have to have more.

The Vid I posted with the TT and Supercharged BB's are 110-130K sand Cars with half of that being wrapped up in just the power train alone. Not really fast cars when compared to super cars I would say they are Quick but when your traveling 100+ over terrain that would destroy any regular vehicle you can begin to understand the attraction.

The Camaro I bought when I was a Senior in High School 83/84 from an old lady that used it as a grocery getter... Ha, true story. It had 68K orignal miles on it wen I got ahold of it and being the teenage punk I was I had to turn it into a street car. I worked on it until I was in my mid 20's then was married and a house became the new priority so I sold it :(.

At one point in time my mother and my sister both had Camaros, Mom had an 85 IROC z28 T top with TPI 350 and my younger sister had a 71 Split bumper RS with the 350 package. The 69 Camaro is and will always be my favorite year as it is the only year they made that body style. If I ever come into money again I will be ether hunting this car down and buying it back or I will buy / build another that looks just like it.

Twin Turbos or Supercharged ?
Twin turbos. Clean supercharged 911s around here command more money than I can justify on a used car that old. Especially one that'll be a daily driver for me (the other reason I'm gunshy because of maintenance).

I know the turbos will make more HP on the big end but I like the way a Supercharger hits and the instantaneous throttle response it has. And the tone of the exhaust note makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck[/URL]
Turbo lag in the older 911s is bad too. But I still like it. Can't explain why. The high whine when the turbos kick in is my music. Plus I like that you can keep the gas consumption under control by keeping the revs low.

Twin turbos. Clean supercharged 911s around here command more money than I can justify on a used car that old. Especially one that'll be a daily driver for me (the other reason I'm gunshy because of maintenance).

Turbo lag in the older 911s is bad too. But I still like it. Can't explain why. The high whine when the turbos kick in is my music. Plus I like that you can keep the gas consumption under control by keeping the revs low.

The Sand Car that I used to own had to different engines in it and both were turboed. The first was a 2.3 Liter Ford running 20 Lbs of boost, it was fun and hit pretty hard but I didn't like the way it vibrated the car to death and the exhaust note sounded like an old tank. The SHO engine was perfect, smooth roll on power all the way to 7K and the extra tork was an added welcome.

Running in the sand I never worried too much about fule consumption as you don't really go for super long trips. A 20 Gal tank will let you play for the day so with a toy like this fuel milage it's not a major factor especially when your only running 6-8 long weekends a year.

For street I would totally agree with you on a Turbo charged application. After I put the Supercharger in the 69 I could watch the gas gauge move when I put my foot in it and I was only running 10 Lbs of boost. But the smile factor from the supercharger wine and the instant throttle response was second to none.

A quick vid of a SHO in action in a sand car application. I believe this one is running an Eaton charger not sure on the boost but based on the HP he is claiming (300+) I would have to say around the 8-9 Lb range.

Back
Top Bottom