5150 Presence Knob

Do You Want the 5150 Presence Control to be Authentic?

• Yes

Votes: 160 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 277 63.4%

• Total voters
This may have been already said. Didn't read every post. Since this is the digital realm would it be possible to be both. I don't mean to dump more work on Fractal yet I've seen many switches on these amps. Default to authentic or switch to idealized?

I remember reading somewhere that all knobs on 6 (except gain and MV) was a very popular 5150/6505 setting for many metal guitarists in the 2000s.
I would never set the mids at 6 in any 5150 for a metal rhythm tone haha but yeah, I remember reading those settings from a Job For A Cowboy interview back in the day haha.

If I'm not wrong, Jason Suecof and Mark Lewis did most of the tones for those bands, The Black Dahlia Murder, ect...

Ah, I see. I misread the wiki.

Which begs the question, did Bogner made a mistake that needs fixing or is it amp voicing by design?
Apply same logic to 5150.
Why some amps get the treatment while others don't?
The Ecstasy's are very noticeable too. When I first got mine, (used) I thought there was something wrong with it. You have to crank the treble and presence to really open it up. Otherwise they are very dark. On the positive note. The treble and presence never get harsh on that amp. Even with V30 speakers.

I have a 2001 Ecstasy 101b Classic. Gigged with it for 7 years so I'm tuned into the sound of that amp. The Fractal model is close. It has the Bogner character but Cliff modeled a 20th anniversary head thats a bit honkier for lack of a better term.

Not being funny, but this is part of the problem with this poll.

If you'll never use it, then you shouldn't have a preference. You're needlessly biasing the results towards 'ideal' when I would wager that the vast majority of people who actually care, are more in line with the 'authentic' camp.

The poll should have had more than two options: ideal, authentic, not sure, don't care.
Fo clarification: I never played the actual 5150 tube amp, I’ll update that in my post.
Never said I will never use the model

One of the factors that made the Axe Fx appeal to me originally was the fact that the amp behaviour (in terms of knobs etc.) was as close to the real deal as it could get; coming from other modellers where tapers were "idealised", it was like playing a completely different amp tbh. Making the knob behaviour mirror the real-world amp also meant that I could read up older discussions on fora or magazines about people's experience with a particular amp and try and dial those in settings in to see what they sound like.
Just wanted to add to this point of mine by saying that owning an Axe Fx has not just meant getting great tones, it has also been a great educational tool for me personally (I am sure there would be others who concur). I've learnt SO much about gear simply by owning such a powerful unit. Had I not learned about the many quirks of these great pieces of gear that are being modelled VERY accurately in the FAS ecosystem, I never would have known even half as much about amp circuitry or what gives a certain kind of tone its character, and just nerd-y things like that which have all ultimately added to my arsenal of knowledge of dialling up tones from scratch. Maybe folks don't want to go through this learning curve (which, mind you, is different from the learning curve for being able to use the unit itself), but I think it'll only be good for you in the end. It's a bit like learning about historical events at school – maybe your life will not change after you read about the factors that led to the French Revolution in 1789, but it'll probably make you a bit more aware of your world in the present and in the future. Being forced to learn something isn't always a bad thing.

And I realise this point goes either way in the context of this poll: you could familiarise yourself about the quirks of the Axe Fx model's "idealised" taper and learn something tangible about the real-world amp model, sure. But why build a wall where you could build a bridge?

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now and get back to work!

Just wanted to add to this point of mine by saying that owning an Axe Fx has not just meant getting great tones, it has also been a great educational tool for me personally (I am sure there would be others who concur). I've learnt SO much about gear simply by owning such a powerful unit. Had I not learned about the many quirks of these great pieces of gear that are being modelled VERY accurately in the FAS ecosystem, I never would have known even half as much about amp circuitry or what gives a certain kind of tone its character, and just nerd-y things like that which have all ultimately added to my arsenal of knowledge of dialling up tones from scratch. Maybe folks don't want to go through this learning curve (which, mind you, is different from the learning curve for being able to use the unit itself), but I think it'll only be good for you in the end. It's a bit like learning about historical events at school – maybe your life will not change after you read about the factors that led to the French Revolution in 1789, but it'll probably make you a bit more aware of your world in the present and in the future. Being forced to learn something isn't always a bad thing.

And I realise this point goes either way in the context of this poll: you could familiarise yourself about the quirks of the Axe Fx model's "idealised" taper and learn something tangible about the real-world amp model, sure. But why build a wall where you could build a bridge?

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now and get back to work!

That's the first thing I do when I use a model I have never touched in the real world...Learn about the real amp first.
Okay, you can get a great tone using your ears but I like to have a basic knowledge of what I'm using before using the model. In this sense, Fractal has helped me learn about many more amplifiers or other effects.

n any case, I think we are all forgetting that we already have an "idealised" 5150 model in the FAS models.
It's just one channel instead of many we have modelled after the original amp :) So not really a proper replacement.
It it´s too much work, then keep only authentic page, as we are buying fractal because of authentic recreations of tube amps.
I hope this will never happen, all due respect. "We" are definitely not "all of us" in this case.

I just wish all this arcane knowledge about specific amps was somehow accessible to those of us who've never used a real amp.....

I would never set the mids at 6 in any 5150 for a metal rhythm tone haha but yeah, I remember reading those settings from a Job For A Cowboy interview back in the day haha.

If I'm not wrong, Jason Suecof and Mark Lewis did most of the tones for those bands, The Black Dahlia Murder, ect...
the dudes from Suicide Silence crank the mids to around 6 too. You can also do what Gojira does and put everything at 5, stick a 57 in front of the cab, and call it good lol

the dudes from Suicide Silence crank the mids to around 6 too. You can also do what Gojira does and put everything at 5, stick a 57 in front of the cab, and call it good lol
For sure! My intention was not saying 6 is a terrible setting, just my preference. Love Suicide Silence first albums and I got you haha
Controls at noon is still a good starting point.

Yeah, different strokes for different folks! I turn the mids way down on almost all my high gain presets because I'm a 90s kid and I love that scooped sound.

Yeah, different strokes for different folks! I turn the mids way down on almost all my high gain presets because I'm a 90s kid and I love that scooped sound.
Haha. Same here. Mid control in my real amp lives in the 2-3 range (sometimes even lower for a really scooped tone) but yeah, everyone has their own preferences, nothing wrong with that.:)

Users wouldn't be able to compare and recommend settings anymore.

A: "Try Presence at 4 o'clock!"

B: "Errr, yes, but is that Presence in Authentic or Idealized mode?"
Im still thinking an Authentic / Ideal switch. There are so many Tweakable parameters that are accessible in the Fractal world that you cannot easily tweak on the real Amp. its just a "No Brainer" for me. Again, its what fractal is all about IMO.

A: "Try the Presence at 4 o'clock!" and make sure the "cut" is off, and the the "fat" is on, Oh and I forgot to tell you my speaker Thump is at 6.20.....
its endless". ....
"Dammit Eddie, just send me the Amp Block file"...;)

And....the amps already have a "Ideal" Tab, so... "whos foolin who"? (which is a great song by Bonfire, by the way)

But then FAS need to make the call. 👍

1701702811099.png

Wouldn't the best thing to do is: Hey guys, the Presence taper is not correct on the original design, so here is what I will do:
1) Leave it that way!
2) If changing that taper is so drastically better than the original, I will make a copy of it as a FAS amp
................Done!

Let me try to offer a perspective how "idealized" might be beneficial for those not owning an amp or not trying to copy someone's else settings.

1. We keep using FAS because it SOUNDS better, "authentic", not because of the slick design of the "plugin UI". So matching of the knobs position matters... very little. It does, but Cliff's motto always was "use your ears, not your eyes". If you (not you, I refer to a "user") do it differently, you'd better reconsider! Even long-awaited Dyna-cabs are a very controversial topic still. It is clear why people owning an amp would prefer the "authentic", but even for the amps I'm familiar with "ideal" is the best choice any day of the week for me.
2. Once you've found a sweet spot, you'll just leave it there. At this moment it would probably stop matter to both owners and people not familiar. From here you can jump directly to the last section of my message if you will.
3. As @laxu mentioned, you will lose none of the original's amp capabilities. You might gain some more (see what I did here? :)
4. Having all the knobs acting in the same predictable manner makes fine-tuning so so easy. Unification is a wonderful thing for this kind of work.
5. Many owners will never own 5150. I would dare to say: most. They would be confused.
6. Many future young owners (you will not go wrong assuming: most) will never use tube amp at all, so why make it hard and confusing for them, that there is a model which is "broken" and its Presence is "not working"?

I'd suggest for this particular model to just put the Presence knob at 8 or 9 as a default value of an idealized control and be done with it, or whatever the "magical" value is. Only people looking for something "different" will be messing with this control then, the rest will have "out of the box real amp" experience upon loading the model.

Fractal's typical definition of "accuracy" has looked to me like: the model can match the sound of the reference amp instance using the standard controls - tapers may not match to reference, but the sounds are there. Maybe I'm out to lunch but I feel like this has been the overall approach since I arrived here many moons ago.

I got a bit concerned about a switch in approach when an earlier post seemed to suggest (unless I misunderstood) that ideal vs authentic taper choice could mean possible differences to the actual end to end range of values on tap. Once Fractal subsequently confirmed that this is not the case (

), I'm back to belng good with whatever way they think is best.

Does seem that having a more mixed approach might make for
some lively forum discussion as this discussion might well take place for any number of amp models/knobs (not to mention drives / fx) - fine tho as I suspect lively forum engagement on such topics is a good thing for Fractal - plenty of opportunity for it on this topic.

Kind of hilarious, we are at 10 pages of comments on the new firmware release https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-23-04-release.199875/unread

...And 10 pages on the behavior of a single presence control pot. Never played the 5150 (edit: I mean the real tube amp, not the Fractal model) and probably never will so from my perspective the idealized version would be easier for me. Being the owner of a Mesa Mark V:90 I can handle non-intuitive controls so anything would work for me
The problem is we can’t have the models being arbitrarily adjusted to something other than the real amp WITHOUT being told it’s been adjusted. I think the discussion is bigger than the 5150 models. If FAS is changing the way the models vs. real amps react, then we need to at least know which amps are not truly 1:1 digital replicas.

I bet the 67% that voted yes to idealized knobs have never owned or played the real amps. They don’t really care as long as it sounds good, which we all agree is important. But it’s still important to know when the model has been adjusted from its real-life counterpart.

Wouldn't the best thing to do is: Hey guys, the Presence taper is not correct on the original design, so here is what I will do:
1) Leave it that way!
2) If changing that taper is so drastically better than the original, I will make a copy of it as a FAS amp
................Done!
It’s already there the FAS 6160 is an ideal 5150 is it not ?

1) Leave it that way!
................Done!
I don't see how having a FAS amp model that is exactly the same except for this one detail is useful, when both are capable of the exact same tones too.

I don't know if Cliff meant that the presence control does nothing until turned to 3/10 or 4/10 on the dial, or if they meant that 75% of its overall travel does nothing. If the latter, then a different taper would mainly change where that functional region starts. Either it's 7.5/10 on the dial (authentic) with 7.5-10/10 value range that does something with it, or with the ideal taper it starts from zero and the whole knob does something.

Both should achieve the same thing when at <7.5 or at zero. Then the rest of the range depends on how that maps on the ideal taper.

Back
Top Bottom