5150 build.

Made a start on the grain carve;View attachment 96670
This and a bit of grain filler to lessen the depth and than when I seal it. After the white goes on I will get the opportunity to compare it to the best photos and make adjustments if needed.
Just out of curiosity (I'm not likely to attempt pretty much any of this myself), how did you do that grain carve? I saw your guide lines, but to actually do this, did you follow those lines manually? With what tool(s)? The way the carving relates to the grain is pretty interesting.

Just out of curiosity (I'm not likely to attempt pretty much any of this myself), how did you do that grain carve? I saw your guide lines, but to actually do this, did you follow those lines manually? With what tool(s)? The way the carving relates to the grain is pretty interesting.
You can see the guide lines, first I opened these with a half round needle file and then made some sanding sticks with the profiles I wanted then added the open "pours" with a leather needle . Quite time consuming but I think it will look pretty close with the paint on and this ( last ) version is all about learning from the previous and attention to detail.

You can see the guide lines, first I opened these with a half round needle file and then made some sanding sticks with the profiles I wanted then added the open "pours" with a leather needle . Quite time consuming but I think it will look pretty close with the paint on and this ( last ) version is all about learning from the previous and attention to detail.
Amazing craftsmanship and attention to detail Andy, as always!

What do you think made those marks on the original?

Amazing craftsmanship and attention to detail Andy, as always!

What do you think made those marks on the original?
I only have a theory as the rest of the body is sealed and grain filled .
First up there is now conclusive forensic evidence that 5150 is swamp ash (I stand corrected and always go with the best verifiable evidence.This comes from EVH company who are preparing a master built replica for the future)
This is the only swamp ash pacer body that I know of from this time. This causes problems as the guitars Kramer built for Ed were always made of parts already in the facility (not a factory and not capable of scratch building necks or bodies.) This is also not a custom ordered body just for Ed it was already there. My only theory and no-one can confirm it is that when Kramer switched from Maple to Poplar (around this time) for reasons of weight and cost they had a few samples made in other woods. 5150 is a half finished second or sample IMO and the only one because although light it is not cheap. I would guess that it was found in the shop and Ed liked it because it is very light. The forearm contour has been rounded over more than the usual flat cut on pacers of that type so that was done AFTER the sealer filler and with Ed standing next to the guys saying" just paint it now it will be fine." The contour shows the effect of using paint directly on raw wood and just adding more to fill up the unsanded open grain. I really can't think of another explanation that is feasible for what we see on the original that fits with the evidence . Paul Unkert had modified three or four strat necks to the Banana in three sizes for Ed to look at and my best evidence is that Ed assembled it himself from the body that he oversaw altered and painted, the neck came from the batch and the other know guitars in this batch are Hot for Teacher ,1984, 5150. 1984 was meant to be the new main guitar named after the new album but Ed preferred 5150 so it became the guitar that Ed played as his number one for the longest.
As I said this story as evolved and changed in my head as I have managed to get reliable ( verifiable ) information from people involved and contradict assumptions that I made even in previous posts in this thread . For example all evidence pointed to this being poplar apart from the photo I posted of this area and now we have the confirmation that this is a one of a kind swamp ash body, I now know who painted it like this and why, what pickup was in it, who built the prototype floyds and this is my best guess for the rest.

Last edited:
I see you mentioned you know what pickup was originally put in the 5150. Are you willing to share that info? I’d love to know!

I see you mentioned you know what pickup was originally put in the 5150. Are you willing to share that info? I’d love to know!
Yes I will tell you but before I will try and explain why it has never been simple to trust the available information.
Ed in the early days didn't want people to know what he used or even who made it. He would often lie about gear to throw people off knowing .
He also prevented builders from making replicas of the things they supplied to him or even confirming what they did.
Seymour Duncan made a few custom wound pickups for him and these are all still available . The EVH the Frankie the custom and the custom custom are all Ed pickups. The EVH ( evenly voiced Harmonics:tearsofjoy:) was modelled after a paf rewind and never authorised hence the silly name . The custom was in an ad in the late 70s mentioning that Ed used it and that was a problem. The custom custom never mentioned Ed anywhere and was still the pickup that Ed wanted in the neck position of the Music Man even after the Dimarzio was custom-built. The Frankie is a SD built hand wound Custom custom marketed as an EVH . The Custom was a take on a ceramic distortion pickup typical of the late 70s.
Next problem Paul Unkert (who did the headstock conversion) says it left the factory with a SD59. So the first thing I had to prove is "How many pickups had 5150 ever had" I did this with available pictures. The pickup in 5150 earliest photos show the long legs bent up the sides of the rout to get the right hight and new holes drilled for the screws. This is the useful part as they are not straight so you have something to determine that this is the same black pickup that you'r looking at in later pictures. So the three black pickups that have been rumoured to be in 5150 are the 59 , JB, and the Custom custom. Pictures conclude that only one black pickup was ever in there. I can rule out the 59 as it always at the time came in two pole with paper tape and the 5150 had cloth and four pole. I next ruled out the JB because it just didn't sound like one when I played it and I've owned a lot or JBs over the years. I originally concluded that that leaves the CC as it sounds right and is virtually the same speck as the Wolfgang pickup that was a direct copy of it. Not that simple Larry DiMarzio wrote an article that says when they made the pickups for the MM that it was a JB with one broken coil. But it was Steve that did the examination and was it stickered ? If it wasn't the CC why is the copy a CC clone? Next I had a conversation with the guy that has the pickup now and he confirmed that it was broken and one coil was 8k on the other 160k alnico 5 . Steve was right it is a broken JB . The incident that caused it was the high E got stuck in the coil and when he pulled it out it sounded different and Ed preferred it. This is also the time when the white gaff tape was added to prevent it from reoccurring .
So is the Wolfgang the same as the CC ? not really but the on paper speck is. The WG is a copy of the broken JB and indeed is a it more dynamic than the CC and a lot different to a stock JB .
I suspect this is not that useful as the closest and IMO best sounding Ed pickup is the PV version even though the EVH one is supposed to be the exact same design. BUT the PV one is alnico 5 and the EVH 2. The one in 5150 now is a PV WG and Ed liked it so much that Jim got to keep the original and still has it.

IMG_2303.jpg
Frets in and trimmed to length .
This is your opportunity to make sure everything is properly seated as nothing is glued yet . I like the PRS method of running water thin super glue under the fret from the ends at this stage before you dress the ends at all.

Amazing information you were able to find. I applaud your efforts. What would you say the action was like on the 5150 when you had a chance with it? I’ve always heard it was high (high is like 5/64ths@12th?) but I don’t quite believe it given Eddie’s fast playing.

Amazing information you were able to find. I applaud your efforts. What would you say the action was like on the 5150 when you had a chance with it? I’ve always heard it was high (high is like 5/64ths@12th?) but I don’t quite believe it given Eddie’s fast playing.

I don't have an answer here, but one factor to consider is that he supposedly played 9 - 40 strings tuned a half step down, so that would allow for a higher action with lower resistance if the gauge I've read about is accurate.

5/64ths is definitely low enough to shred on.

Way lower than that . I would say probably more like 3/64ths with maybe a tad higher on the base E. It played great and sounded very resonant unplugged too. It had been refretted in the not long past by Music Man when I played it though.

I don't have an answer here, but one factor to consider is that he supposedly played 9 - 40 strings tuned a half step down, so that would allow for a higher action with lower resistance if the gauge I've read about is accurate.
Ed switched to a standard 9 set somewhere down the line. The guitar had very low action and no real buzz ( yes 9~42 and down a half step ) On a guitar with pretty much perfect frets and the relief in exactly the right place and profile you don't get buzz at all really you get percussive slap back if you hit hard and then a clean note rings out. Hard to describe but I have many guitars like this . Music Man had not long refretted it when I played it so it was probably the best it had ever been. It was an ESP neck so pretty solid and the original fret work was done before Kramer got anywhere near it.

Back
Top Bottom