Preset builds/tips/tricks - youtube - Fractal FM3

thanks 🙏those sorts of things are the things i miss the most when coming from a pedalboard/amp setup into the digital domain
there are some effects that are more unique and controllable to reproduce (such as the ringmod/lazer style thing) others with sample/loop/glitching seem a bit more out of reach

one of my all time favorite pedals is the DD-5 or DD-6 in hold mode for quick glitch stutter effects, which is all contained on one footswitch, combine that with a whammy style effect afterwards it's a lot of fun, but i haven't found a way of programming something like that so it's as intuitive and easy/quick (e.g the longer you hold down the pedal the longer the loop and vice versa)

i've got some space in front of the FM3 now as we're controlling all changes via laptop/midi , gives me some leeway for adding pedals, but for now i've just added a Digitech FreqOut (not for insta feedback but for long sustained chords part to add some doom and gloom ) and a Flashback 2 for an easy self oscillating delay that i can miss with the delay time per hand for some pitched craziness

there are a bunch of others as well, i'll need to investigate a bit further, the DD-5/6 hold mode is a big one for me

I'm right there with ya.

I keep 4 pedals that I would love to downsize off my board someday (a Mimiq, freqout, and 2 glitch pedals - bananana and tensor)

I'm right there with ya.

I keep 4 pedals that I would love to downsize off my board someday (a Mimiq, freqout, and 2 glitch pedals - bananana and tensor)
ah cool, how is the Mimiq , are you using it in a stereo setup or mono in front of the FM3 ?

i was looking at a double tracker recently to add a bit more beef in parts, but it seemed for the mimiq it's most effective in stereo, not so sure if it really helps or does much in mono, it's considerably less coin than say a keeley 30ms or a deco (although the deco does a lot more than just double tracking)

ah cool, how is the Mimiq , are you using it in a stereo setup or mono in front of the FM3 ?

i was looking at a double tracker recently to add a bit more beef in parts, but it seemed for the mimiq it's most effective in stereo, not so sure if it really helps or does much in mono, it's considerably less coin than say a keeley 30ms or a deco (although the deco does a lot more than just double tracking)
It works great with a few caveats. I currently have it in the FX loop going stereo after the cab block (panned hard L/R with different cabs).

It would work best split before 2 amps I think, but as we know, with the FM3 that's not possible. I use it with our IEM setup during practice but TBH I'm not sure I would use it live yet. When you set it up stereo it has the untouched signal on one side, and the mimiq signal on the other... If I listen to the mimiq signal by itself, it's.....not good. I would hate to give the wrong side to FOH and have just that signal going mono.

When used in stereo, of course, it sounds amazing! mimiq has something going on that makes it better than the keeley IMO. Also, I never go above 1 extra track... sounds very unnatural when you push it.

It works great with a few caveats. I currently have it in the FX loop going stereo after the cab block (panned hard L/R with different cabs).

It would work best split before 2 amps I think, but as we know, with the FM3 that's not possible. I use it with our IEM setup during practice but TBH I'm not sure I would use it live yet. When you set it up stereo it has the untouched signal on one side, and the mimiq signal on the other... If I listen to the mimiq signal by itself, it's.....not good. I would hate to give the wrong side to FOH and have just that signal going mono.

When used in stereo, of course, it sounds amazing! mimiq has something going on that makes it better than the keeley IMO. Also, I never go above 1 extra track... sounds very unnatural when you push it.
ah great, thanks for the feedback

we recently upgraded to stereo feeds for our IEMs , the difference has been incredible, although my preset still runs mono, it makes such a difference in the ears, i was watching a plaguescythe studios video on the mimiq earlier today, he showed it in the same fasion, in the FX loop after the cab block, made a nice difference, seems very tempting to be honest, i'm the only guitarist in my band so i have a bit more space as it were

totally know what you mean with the concerns for stereo/live use, it almost feels too risky as it were, we had Monuments play here late last year (I work as a promoter in Luxembourg) got to talk with John for a while, he's using like i think 3-4 amp setups (helix + synergy + iso cab i think) with the mimiq and the Helix version of it in place, it's not on all the time, but for certain parts, it's engaged to really beef things up

not a preset build per say, i will go over it more in detail at some point as it's part of my main preset now
i show things with text in the video, it's a very basic preset in any case

i was dialing things in for firmware 8 for my new preset with the metal band , we have like 2-3 'cleanish' passages, thanks to gapless i can switch amps =)
liked the sound of the Euro Blue model for an edge of breakup clean with humbuckers, had a nice response to picking attack and as i was experimenting with the Euro Uber model for distortion, seemed like a good match

in essence the magic is
using two delays , a DMM style delay @ 1/4 dot before the amp , and then a stereo tape @ 1/4 after the amp
you get this cascading/bouncy sort of feel which is great, and the first analog style repeats into the front of the amp get a bit of saturation/hair depending on how you pick

put some other bits and pieces in there if you want to solo over/loop etc..
preset attached here, or otherwise within my downloads

thanks for checking it out

Attachments

• pb - blue skies.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 8

video on my updated live preset for Drogher , drop B // death metal with hardcore/groove/gojira influences sort of band

Firmware 8 for the FM3 opened up some possibilities with different amps (for the cleanish tone for example) and meant some changes in terms of what amp/tones i'll be running (seeing as the Fryer d60 more model was changed)

I can't share my custom IRs (Ownhammer Low Tuned IRs) I saved a version with Factory cabs so you can check it out as well , attached the preset here in case

big changes for this year:
-stereo (nothing crazy with pitch/enhancer block etc.. just hard panned cabs and simple stereo delay)
-different amp: Spawn Od-2-1

Attachments

• pb - Drogher 2024 wo customIR.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 5

video on my updated live preset for Drogher , drop B // death metal with hardcore/groove/gojira influences sort of band

Firmware 8 for the FM3 opened up some possibilities with different amps (for the cleanish tone for example) and meant some changes in terms of what amp/tones i'll be running (seeing as the Fryer d60 more model was changed)

I can't share my custom IRs (Ownhammer Low Tuned IRs) I saved a version with Factory cabs so you can check it out as well , attached the preset here in case

big changes for this year:
-stereo (nothing crazy with pitch/enhancer block etc.. just hard panned cabs and simple stereo delay)
-different amp: Spawn Od-2-1

I appreciate you sharing another video! I'm always learning something. Looking forward to you expanding on the speaker tab!

NGD for me this week, with a Gretsch G5260 baritone (29.75" scale length :D ) tuned in F# Standard here, some nerdy tech explaining of the Multiband compressor here and filtering/boost before the amp(s)

The guitar itself has a particular tone with the low output mini humbuckers, tweak to taste of course

video above going over tones, explaining various things/tweaks as well

preset download below, or on my usual page ko-fi downloads
thanks for checking it out 🙏

Attachments

• pb - barry tones.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2

NGD for me this week, with a Gretsch G5260 baritone (29.75" scale length :D ) tuned in F# Standard here, some nerdy tech explaining of the Multiband compressor here and filtering/boost before the amp(s)

The guitar itself has a particular tone with the low output mini humbuckers, tweak to taste of course

video above going over tones, explaining various things/tweaks as well

preset download below, or on my usual page ko-fi downloads
thanks for checking it out 🙏

Nice sound! Thanks for this preset

renamed this thread seeing as things have branched out a bit since the start, i'll still have some preset builds/tips going on, but as the channel grows this makes more sense =)

had a look at Speaker impedance curves this week, and the impact it can have on your tones
can be very useful in dialing in that last 5% , if you haven't had a tinker with this, especially when you're using custom IRs/legacy cabs, it's well worth the visit

Back
Top Bottom