5.02 is a total game changer - Austin Buddy amp users?

vspinner

wow - sounds amazing.
for anyone who uses the austin buddy axe 3 amp pack are you noticing a huge difference?

via my monitors the sound is way different, not in a bad way but brighter and way more dynamic

also noticing more realism in the amp noises like hum, and tone changes...

From my end, I'm a still a little confused on the whole amp "resetting after FW update" scenario.

I'm only using AustinBuddy's presets in this discussion as a point of reference - it could be any presets. I happen to like AB's presets, so I used this as a milestone that many may be familiar with. It could just as easily be the stock presets in the AxeFx.

I'm not a newbie; been round since the original AxeFx, and this is my 3rd or 4th unit. I've read the Manual, the wiki, and follow the Forum regularly. I'm just having trouble wrapping my pea-brain around some of the block resetting concepts; maybe I'm just attention-deficit or something:

1. If the Amp blocks are reset in all of my AustinBuddy presets, do I then loose all of AB's amp settings settings? In other words, will they all be reset back to a "Factory Default" setting? Straight-up 5's all the way across, for lack of a better description?

2. If I do reset all the amp block in all my Austin Buddy presets, I presume this will need to be for every Scene, in every Amp block, individually?

3. Also, if I reset all of the Amp blocks in all of my AB presets, do I then need to reload all of the presets, to get back to "near" the intent of the original AB settings, or am I just then setting everything back to the "incorrect" Amp block settings again by doing this?

4. I "think" my best option, to get the most of the AxeFx FW upgrades, and my AB presets, I should reset every amp block, in every scene, and save each preset, then reload all of the original AB presets - is this the optimal way to go about this, or should I just not reset the amps? What am I "missing", if I don't reset the amps?

5. As I understand it, running a "Refresh" after new FW " in Axe-Edit III is not necessarily changing any preset settings, or resetting any blocks - it's only refreshing the data in Axe-Edit, so it is displayed properly (correct?).

6. Would I be better off to just do a total factory reset of "everything", reset my basic/global settings, then reload my AustinBuddy presets, to save time?

These aren't intended to be esoteric questions, or circular reasoning - I really don't know, and want to boil it down to something I can grasp. I want to get the "best", most accurate tone I can, and have been very happy with AB's presets; I also want to keep my AxeFx as current as possible. I'm just a little confused on the best way to go about resetting the Amp blocks, and what to do with my presets after resetting.

From my end, I'm a still a little confused on the whole amp "resetting after FW update" scenario.

I'm only using AustinBuddy's presets in this discussion as a point of reference - it could be any presets. I happen to like AB's presets, so I used this as a milestone that many may be familiar with. It could just as easily be the stock presets in the AxeFx.

I'm not a newbie; been round since the original AxeFx, and this is my 3rd or 4th unit. I've read the Manual, the wiki, and follow the Forum regularly. I'm just having trouble wrapping my pea-brain around some of the block resetting concepts; maybe I'm just attention-deficit or something:

1. If the Amp blocks are reset in all of my AustinBuddy presets, do I then loose all of AB's amp settings settings? In other words, will they all be reset back to a "Factory Default" setting? Straight-up 5's all the way across, for lack of a better description?

2. If I do reset all the amp block in all my Austin Buddy presets, I presume this will need to be for every Scene, in every Amp block, individually?

3. Also, if I reset all of the Amp blocks in all of my AB presets, do I then need to reload all of the presets, to get back to "near" the intent of the original AB settings, or am I just then setting everything back to the "incorrect" Amp block settings again by doing this?

4. I "think" my best option, to get the most of the AxeFx FW upgrades, and my AB presets, I should reset every amp block, in every scene, and save each preset, then reload all of the original AB presets - is this the optimal way to go about this, or should I just not reset the amps? What am I "missing", if I don't reset the amps?

5. As I understand it, running a "Refresh" after new FW " in Axe-Edit III is not necessarily changing any preset settings, or resetting any blocks - it's only refreshing the data in Axe-Edit, so it is displayed properly (correct?).

6. Would I be better off to just do a total factory reset of "everything", reset my basic/global settings, then reload my AustinBuddy presets, to save time?

These aren't intended to be esoteric questions, or circular reasoning - I really don't know, and want to boil it down to something I can grasp. I want to get the "best", most accurate tone I can, and have been very happy with AB's presets; I also want to keep my AxeFx as current as possible. I'm just a little confused on the best way to go about resetting the Amp blocks, and what to do with my presets after resetting.
Very reasonable questions that I suspect others have as well. From what I have read the answers vary on who is asked.

1 - in short, yes. you lose the settings if you reset an amp block. i think the "soft reset" isn't the same anymore due to the recent addition of authentic controls, since that now defaults basic controls like bass, mid, treb etc.

2 - every channel of the amp block used would need to be reset if you "want to reset all amp blocks."

3 - if you reset the amp blocks, then reload the old preset data, it will be as if you didn't reset the amp block. it's because you reloaded the old data.

4 - question is... why would you do this? that seems like so much work. if you load FW 5 and the preset sounds good, then it sounds good. i personally would think it's ultimately the preset creator's "responsibility" (?) to update presets for future firmware. i don't buy presets, so i don't know much about it, but if i sold presets, i personally would not guarantee or make it seem like the preset you buy today will work with all future firmwares, without revisions either from the user or myself (creator).

you CAN do what you mentioned here, but why do you have to do them for all? i would just save duplicate copies of the presets i use, reset the amp blocks, experiment, and then use whatever sounds better.

for example, for my main preset, with 5.02, i noticed my clean amp was too bassy, my high gain amp needed more bass. i just adjusted those things, and i sound great again. i didn't reset, i just adjusted what i heard.

i think some people are reacting a bit drastically about all of this. if you load the new firmware and your presets sound good, then you're done. if something sounds wrong, just adjust that.

this firmware in particular mentions that it forces certain parameters to new values, something most firmware does NOT do. so you definitely get the new features of the firmware with 5.xx. it all depends on what actually has changed and if there are brand new parameters.

5 - Refresh after FW is in Axe-Edit only and just synchronizes the computer with the Axe.

6 - again, resetting or doing anything else is pointless if you just load the old settings right back on. they are the old settings.

--
again. load the new firmware. if you hear something wrong, fix it. if you don't, then you're done. it's very simple.

I have started A/Bing them in 5.02 versus a second Axe-Fx III that was FW 1.18 on them (original design).

There are differences and it is not uniform. Some amps sound amazing and better than ever/more alive and responsive. The Freidman Small box, with bass turned down in FW5, is simply off the hook amazing -- totally realistic, for example. I put a revised preset of it up (go download) on the original 1000 Axe-Fx III preset thread. Others are a little more muffled (less bright than FW 1.18) but still sound good.

I have 256+ models to go through/1000+ presets, but I've sampled enough to know it's not all in one direction yet.

Next few months I'll be working up the Tonepack update for firmware 5.x, hopefully coming out before early summer, we'll see...

I have started A/Bing them in 5.02 versus a second Axe-Fx III that was FW 1.18 on them (original design).

There are differences and it is not uniform. Some amps sound amazing and better than ever/more alive and responsive. The Freidman Small box, with bass turned down in FW5, is simply off the hook amazing -- totally realistic, for example. I put a revised preset of it up (go download) on the original 1000 Axe-Fx III preset thread. Others are a little more muffled (less bright than FW 1.18) but still sound good.

I have 256+ models to go through/1000+ presets, but I've sampled enough to know it's not all in one direction yet.

Next few months I'll be working up the Tonepack update for firmware 5.x, hopefully coming out before early summer, we'll see...
So very pleased to hear this. Not only is it a validation of what some of us have been hearing and reporting, it speaks highly to the level of support, detail and dedication Austin Buddy delivers to his customers. As opposed to those who simply rinse and repeat based on previous situations. It seems you do get what you pay for after all. Thanks AB... you are a gem and I treasure my Naked Amps Pack. Can’t wait to hear your results.

Any updates on your Bass Pack? I hope it is going well and I look forward to adding it to my arsenal.

So very pleased to hear this. Not only is it a validation of what some of us have been hearing and reporting, it speaks highly to the level of support, detail and dedication Austin Buddy delivers to his customers. As opposed to those who simply rinse and repeat based on previous situations. It seems you do get what you pay for after all. Thanks AB... you are a gem and I treasure my Naked Amps Pack. Can’t wait to hear your results.

Any updates on your Bass Pack? I hope it is going well and I look forward to adding it to my arsenal.
Thanks so much Jason. I know it takes awhile but I want it right, not fast, and am glad you and others appreciate that. Heck Cliff may turn out 6.x in a week or two, and I'll have to start over again -- you never know! It's one reason I wait for the dust to settle before I really dig in, but I'm getting psyched to do it given the new firmware, which sounds killer.

The Bass TonePack for AX8 (then will turn to make an Axe-III version, which will let me use more compression and Irs thankfully) is moving along sporadically, we are about 60% there now. Mostly artist presets left to do.

The bass player (Scott Nelson) whose sessions/time I need to get this done (I'm not a true bass player, and it makes a HUGE difference to have someone who plays hard/aggressive when required, and is also really versatile on styles), well Scott is is great but he goes out on tour with Kenny Wayne Shepard most of April, and I have been traveling for my day job a good bit, so sorry it's not done yet/sooner.

I 'd really love to have more bass amps and IRs to work with in the AX8, so I'm squeezing some unusual choices that still sound great to get some diversity in there. And, I can't use ARES on it - has to be 10.01 -- because we'd lose the Amp SVT original bass model which is essential!!!

Thanks so much Jason. I know it takes awhile but I want it right, not fast, and am glad you and others appreciate that. Heck Cliff may turn out 6.x in a week or two, and I'll have to start over again -- you never know! It's one reason I wait for the dust to settle before I really dig in, but I'm getting psyched to do it given the new firmware, which sounds killer.

The Bass TonePack for AX8 (then will turn to make an Axe-III version, which will let me use more compression and Irs thankfully) is moving along sporadically, we are about 60% there now. Mostly artist presets left to do.

The bass player (Scott Nelson) whose sessions/time I need to get this done (I'm not a true bass player, and it makes a HUGE difference to have someone who plays hard/aggressive when required, and is also really versatile on styles), well Scott is is great but he goes out on tour with Kenny Wayne Shepard most of April, and I have been traveling for my day job a good bit, so sorry it's not done yet/sooner.

I 'd really love to have more bass amps and IRs to work with in the AX8, so I'm squeezing some unusual choices that still sound great to get some diversity in there. And, I can't use ARES on it - has to be 10.01 -- because we'd lose the Amp SVT original bass model which is essential!!!
Sweet. I hope Cliff is listening on the SVT original.

I have bought yet another bass in anticipation of your product... and I am like you. Not a true bass player.

But if I succeed... my bass tracks, using your hard work, may just enable me to fool most folks by having killer tone make up for a lack of technique on my part. Just like guitar! Please keep doing what you do brother.

Am on my iPhone and away from my machines until Friday, but from what i recall, a simple amp reset (switch to another amp, then back to original amp) does not affect existing drive, bass, middle and treble settings. I think they stay unchanged if memory serves? But that soft reset will still change affect overdrive and presence or hicut and master volume settings, (and possibly level, I can't recall).

It may also change any GEQ and probably speaker compliance and compression if not at default. So if you do a SOFT amp reset — and you would have to do each amp block channel — it WILL reset part of what I dialed in. Just so you know. If you use “block reset” from menu then that totally resets the block to default.

Beta team dudes may correct me if I got one or two instances wrong... but if you want to try to reswt an amp in TonePack (until I can get ver 5.x update out) then the SOFT amp reaet of changing the amp type awy and back again at least keeps some of the DNA from original sound intact. So eyeball or write down values beforehand for oversrive, presence, master, and maybe level. Then re-enter and tweak last mile to taste. I sometimes add a little or up to 1db at 4k in amp GEQ to make a dull amp brighter and more present if your new reset sounds duller...

a simple amp reset (switch to another amp, then back to original amp) does not affect existing drive, bass, middle and treble settings. I think they stay unchanged if memory serves?
If you are using the new default of authentic mode then I believe they get reset, too.

Am on my iPhone and away from my machines until Friday, but from what i recall, a simple amp reset (switch to another amp, then back to original amp) does not affect existing drive, bass, middle and treble settings. I think they stay unchanged if memory serves? But that soft reset will still change affect overdrive and presence or hicut and master volume settings, (and possibly level, I can't recall).

It may also change any GEQ and probably speaker compliance and compression if not at default. So if you do a SOFT amp reset — and you would have to do each amp block channel — it WILL reset part of what I dialed in. Just so you know. If you use “block reset” from menu then that totally resets the block to default.

Beta team dudes may correct me if I got one or two instances wrong... but if you want to try to reswt an amp in TonePack (until I can get ver 5.x update out) then the SOFT amp reaet of changing the amp type awy and back again at least keeps some of the DNA from original sound intact. So eyeball or write down values beforehand for oversrive, presence, master, and maybe level. Then re-enter and tweak last mile to taste. I sometimes add a little or up to 1db at 4k in amp GEQ to make a dull amp brighter and more present if your new reset sounds duller...
@austinbuddy this is helpful but I’m confused and need some guidance. Finally got my FC12 and really want to start using my Ax III for live gigs. I was planning on buying your tone pack and rebuilding some of my gig presets using your tones. But it seems like I should wait until you’re done tweaking your tones for 5.02. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

That would be wonderful, austinbuddy. Just to be clear, though, this is where I partly disagree with Chris's statement that it is the preset seller "responsibility" (?) to update presets for future updates. I paid for the presets as they were delivered, for the current firmware in place, at that time. I seem to recall you had said something about offering the next couple updates at no add'l cost, or something along those lines, and that's fantastic, if you're able to do that.

But I, and I'm sure many reasonable other buyers, would not expect a preset seller to maintain the presets every time FW is updated, in-adfinitum. I feel the same about the Fractal Audio updates: it's unbelievably cool that they offer them, and support their user base like they do, but it's not their "responsibility", unless there are flaws in the original FW that require correction. Mostly, in Fractal Audio's case, they are improvements, and once in awhile on a correction on an improvement.

The fact that many preset & IR sellers, and Fractal Audio, continue to support us, even after the initial sale, is one great thing about this bunch of folks. Thanks! If, and when, you're able to review your presets, and provide tweaks, that would be greatly appreciated.

....and just to be perfectly clear here.... if I had your ears, I wouldn't be buying your presets ;). I've usually made my own, but you upped the mark. Thanks, again!

Last edited:

They get reset now, but a soft reset would be a cool feature for AxeEdit where it resets the block and then puts the settings back...

1 - in short, yes. you lose the settings if you reset an amp block. i think the "soft reset" isn't the same anymore due to the recent addition of authentic controls, since that now defaults basic controls like bass, mid, treb etc.

2 - every channel of the amp block used would need to be reset if you "want to reset all amp blocks."

3 - if you reset the amp blocks, then reload the old preset data, it will be as if you didn't reset the amp block. it's because you reloaded the old data.

4 - question is... why would you do this? that seems like so much work. if you load FW 5 and the preset sounds good, then it sounds good. i personally would think it's ultimately the preset creator's "responsibility" (?) to update presets for future firmware. i don't buy presets, so i don't know much about it, but if i sold presets, i personally would not guarantee or make it seem like the preset you buy today will work with all future firmwares, without revisions either from the user or myself (creator).

you CAN do what you mentioned here, but why do you have to do them for all? i would just save duplicate copies of the presets i use, reset the amp blocks, experiment, and then use whatever sounds better.

for example, for my main preset, with 5.02, i noticed my clean amp was too bassy, my high gain amp needed more bass. i just adjusted those things, and i sound great again. i didn't reset, i just adjusted what i heard.

i think some people are reacting a bit drastically about all of this. if you load the new firmware and your presets sound good, then you're done. if something sounds wrong, just adjust that.

this firmware in particular mentions that it forces certain parameters to new values, something most firmware does NOT do. so you definitely get the new features of the firmware with 5.xx. it all depends on what actually has changed and if there are brand new parameters.

5 - Refresh after FW is in Axe-Edit only and just synchronizes the computer with the Axe.

6 - again, resetting or doing anything else is pointless if you just load the old settings right back on. they are the old settings.

--
again. load the new firmware. if you hear something wrong, fix it. if you don't, then you're done. it's very simple.
Thanks, chris - these are very helpful insights. You've really concisely clarified many of my questions.

I'll give this all some more consideration, and get a backup in, before I go about willy-nilly doing soft-resets on the amp blocks.

I "hope" I'm not one of the folks who are reacting a bit drastically - just trying to get the most I can out of my rig, without killing the golden goose. From your comments, it doesn't sound like it's really necessary to do soft-resets, even though Cliff recommends it, if the sounds are good.

...just trying to wrap my head around the "reset" conundrum, and trying to determine what it does internally to my presets, and to learn when I've gone too far, and screwed up an otherwise good sound.

I REALLY look forward to the FW updates from Fractal. Often, presets that I thought were GREAT, sound even greater, in ways that I didn't know existed. I've come to the conclusion that I don't have the ears of Cliff Chase, austinbuddy, Fremen, Yek, Leon Todd, Mark Day, Scott Peterson, Justin York, Kevin/Ownhammer... and the list goes on. Therefore, any help I can get in achieving *Preset Nirvana* is greatly appreciated. I'm not too proud to learn from where others have already been. Even while I'm here on earth, and working toward that *Preset Nirvana*, I'm still looking forward to that time when I think, "well, I got there..."; and then tomorrow comes, with fresh ears......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom