4CM w/ Humbuster Cables

Rekster

Experienced
I'm looking to use an FM9 setup with 4CM to my Mesa TC100. Benefits are countless, but I could use the FM9 simply as an FX unit. Or I could also have some FM9 presets sending preamp tones from the FM9 to the power amp section of my TC100. Best of both worlds. Plus there's the bonus that the TC100 has MIDI so I could send amp channel changes from the FM9 as well.

In any case, I'm assuming I'd be better off also picking up Humbuster Cables for all of the 4CM connections between my amp and the FM9 - correct?

I'm looking to use an FM9 setup with 4CM to my Mesa TC100. Benefits are countless, but I could use the FM9 simply as an FX unit. Or I could also have some FM9 presets sending preamp tones from the FM9 to the power amp section of my TC100. Best of both worlds. Plus there's the bonus that the TC100 has MIDI so I could send amp channel changes from the FM9 as well.

In any case, I'm assuming I'd be better off also picking up Humbuster Cables for all of the 4CM connections between my amp and the FM9 - correct?
You can use them and I actually do with the Fm9/Victory Amp set up. However, noise is still an issue and to be honest HB or not you still get the loops depending on where you are setting up. The device I have found that helps is the Ebtech Hum Eliminator. That works really well. On my clean channel it is next to noiseless and on the dirty channel it is almost like what the amp is like straight in. I was a mesa user for many years and they tend to have a noisier EL than many amps. The other thing that helped me was adjusting my Output 3 Level on the Fm9 to about 2-3 O'clock vs full on. Even though this is stated as being unity gain, there is not much effect signal lost and I still get a quieter sound ( by a lot). I know the manual also says to use the pad/boost function on the output menu, but that never really has helped me with noise level. But, yes the Fm9 is a perfect virtual pedal board and saves time and gives you so many effect options in an analogue set up. Using the preamps of other amps in front of your clean channel gives you many different channel options as well.

Not for every connection. Just for connections that use the FM9’s outputs. Humbuster cable’s won’t buy you anything for other connections.

You can use them and I actually do with the Fm9/Victory Amp set up. However, noise is still an issue and to be honest HB or not you still get the loops depending on where you are setting up. The device I have found that helps is the Ebtech Hum Eliminator. That works really well. On my clean channel it is next to noiseless and on the dirty channel it is almost like what the amp is like straight in. I was a mesa user for many years and they tend to have a noisier EL than many amps. The other thing that helped me was adjusting my Output 3 Level on the Fm9 to about 2-3 O'clock vs full on. Even though this is stated as being unity gain, there is not much effect signal lost and I still get a quieter sound ( by a lot). I know the manual also says to use the pad/boost function on the output menu, but that never really has helped me with noise level. But, yes the Fm9 is a perfect virtual pedal board and saves time and gives you so many effect options in an analogue set up. Using the preamps of other amps in front of your clean channel gives you many different channel options as well.
Those Ebtech devices are lifesavers eh! I've used the Ebtech Hum X before for a bass amp and the ground loop noise was completely eradicated. I'll keep the Hum Eliminator you mentioned in mind if I do run into any issues. Thanks!

Not for every connection. Just for connections that use the FM9’s outputs. Humbuster cable’s won’t buy you anything for other connections.
Ok good to know. So just two of them for the two outputs from the FM9 for 4CM. The amp FX Send back to an FM9 input doesn't need one?

Ok good to know. So just two of them for the two outputs from the FM9 for 4CM. The amp FX Send back to an FM9 input doesn't need one?
Correct. In order for a Humbuster cable to work, there needs to be Humbuster circuitry present. That circuitry only exists in the 1/4” outputs of Fractal gear.

Those Ebtech devices are lifesavers eh! I've used the Ebtech Hum X before for a bass amp and the ground loop noise was completely eradicated. I'll keep the Hum Eliminator you mentioned in mind if I do run into any issues. Thanks!
Would you (or anyone)happen to know if the Morley Hum Exterminator is essentially the same thing as the EbTech? I bought a Morley because one club we play regularly has really dirty electricity, but it didn't seem to improve on the noise level.

Would you (or anyone)happen to know if the Morley Hum Exterminator is essentially the same thing as the EbTech? I bought a Morley because one club we play regularly has really dirty electricity, but it didn't seem to improve on the noise level.
It's supposed to be essentially the same thing.

I'm using my FM9 in 4CM with my RedPlate Magica with Humbuster cables as directed in the owner's manual. Absolutely dead silent, no added noise and no noticeable latency. I also have a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher set up to change amp channels scene by scene. It's the most flexible and best sounding rig I've had in more than 50 years of guitar. Really impressive!

They both claim to interrupt ground loops, but it appears they do it in different ways and at different places in the rig, so I would not assume the performance of one is indicative of the other. For example, the Morley appears to treat the AC ground connection, which will not affect a ground loop that is not caused (in part) by that particular AC ground (i.e., the loop may be between 2 other paths to ground). Personally I'd reach for a transformer isolation tool like the Ebtech first, in part because I've found that such approach always interrupts a ground loop, assuming you can find the audio connection that needs the interruption. I keep one (not the Ebtech, but a DIY 2-channel transformer isolation box) in my gig bag at all times, and for rigs where there is a high risk of ground loops I build them into the rig itself. And depending on the particular connection, a transformer-based DI box can often get you the same result.

Also, I don't know that there is much if any connection between 'dirty electricity' and ground loops - i.e., they are potentially different issues with different solutions. For 'dirty power' from the venue I would think the solution is a power conditioner, though in my experience that's rarely actually the problem with a guitar rig - including because for most gear it shouldn't matter, since we're rectifying to DC and filtering it anyway before we use it - either within devices like amps or most rack gear, or in a multi-tap isolated power supply for pedals. And for anyone running pedals off a non-isolated supply and experiencing noise issues, that's the first thing I'd change.

Last edited:
I'm using my FM9 in 4CM with my RedPlate Magica with Humbuster cables as directed in the owner's manual. Absolutely dead silent, no added noise and no noticeable latency. I also have a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher set up to change amp channels scene by scene. It's the most flexible and best sounding rig I've had in more than 50 years of guitar. Really impressive!
This is exactly why I'm excited to use the FM9 with my Mesa TC100. The flexibility is unparalleled. The bonus in my case is the TC100 has MIDI integrated right into the amp so no need for an external switcher. :)

Looking forward to hearing your experience. I'm still amazed every time I fire this rig up.

I set up a master preset for 4CM with two clean scenes, two crunch scenes and two lead scenes so I have them all on the floor with FM9. I can easily open up effects view to play around with delays, drives, etc.

I then have an identical copy of that preset set up with the Virtual Capo to Eb. Just a single tap and I'm a step down. It's also fun to experiment with some of the Fractal amp models through the loop into the power amp. Unlimited options! BTW, I've found the most success bypassing the preamp and cab but keeping the Fractal power amp model engaged. YMMV. Enjoy!

Looking forward to hearing your experience. I'm still amazed every time I fire this rig up.

I set up a master preset for 4CM with two clean scenes, two crunch scenes and two lead scenes so I have them all on the floor with FM9. I can easily open up effects view to play around with delays, drives, etc.

I then have an identical copy of that preset set up with the Virtual Capo to Eb. Just a single tap and I'm a step down. It's also fun to experiment with some of the Fractal amp models through the loop into the power amp. Unlimited options! BTW, I've found the most success bypassing the preamp and cab but keeping the Fractal power amp model engaged. YMMV. Enjoy!
I’ve actually already experimented with 4CM using my AF3 and was blown away. So I do know what to expect already. But I want to leave the AF3 connected in the rack of my home studio. The FM9 is the perfect portable solution to be used with my tube amp. And yes, unlimited options! It’s a good time to be alive and playing guitar!!

Reactions: Den
I’ve actually already experimented with 4CM using my AF3 and was blown away. So I do know what to expect already. But I want to leave the AF3 connected in the rack of my home studio. The FM9 is the perfect portable solution to be used with my tube amp. And yes, unlimited options! It’s a good time to be alive and playing guitar!!
Yes , a very good time for sure !

Back
Top Bottom