4CM - interested to hear your feedback

flash6969

Inspired
So I'm considering buying an Axe FX & have spent a lot of time & money collecting some fantastic tube amps that I love.
I'm interested in running the 4 cable method to utilize the front of amp effects (eg: wah, phaser) and also the back of amp effects (delays, reverbs) whilst still benefitting from my tube amp crunch.

So please give me your feedback on the 4CM - what's worked for you, what's the best effects you found work, what was difficult in setting this up, any tips & tricks etc??

Thanks

Worked great for me and I still use it sometimes. All the effect types have worked well in 4CM for me. I seldom use 4CM now as the amps in the Axe makes most real tube amps redundant for me.

So I'm considering buying an Axe FX & have spent a lot of time & money collecting some fantastic tube amps that I love.
I'm interested in running the 4 cable method to utilize the front of amp effects (eg: wah, phaser) and also the back of amp effects (delays, reverbs) whilst still benefitting from my tube amp crunch.

So please give me your feedback on the 4CM - what's worked for you, what's the best effects you found work, what was difficult in setting this up, any tips & tricks etc??

Thanks

I don't like !

I use it with my Engl invader. Works like a charm. I have tried a lot of things such as real pedals and effects before the amp and the axe fx in the loop. I like the 4cm since I got frustrated by the amp tweaking. Now I am only into effects tweaking :). I am sure I will go back to the Axe Fx only some day.

Thanks again Rocket Brother - that's what I needed to hear. I'm also high-end amps (Friedmans, Bogners) & so you've settled it for me.
I'm gonna buy an Axe FX!

I have a Diezel D-Moll. Not exactly a low-end amp. Nor is it noisy on its own or a badly designed amp. Yes. AFII in 4-cable-method is very noisy. Certainly the Mark I is. People say the Mark II is different... I dunno.

I have a Diezel D-Moll. Not exactly a low-end amp. Nor is it noisy on its own or a badly designed amp. Yes. AFII in 4-cable-method is very noisy. Certainly the Mark I is. People say the Mark II is different... I dunno.

Later mkIs and Mk IIs have a modification to help reduce hiss with the 4 cable method.

Works very well on jvm410 for me. I change also the channels of the jvm directly on my mfc via midi. Only one peldal board for effects and channels.

Last edited:
Since you seem like you are going to use nothing but effects you may want to wait a bit, for the FX8
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/86923-coming-soon.html

As for noise I think allot of it has to do with the amp.
Example; I had a DigiTech GSP1101 that I used 4 cable method with no problems with my Mesa Mark IV, other people who had Mark IV's (GSP Forum) some had a noise issue and others did not.
The one's that did have a noise issue did resolve it by using a ground lift on the GSP1101 (still not something you want to do). There were other amp's also were some users had noise issues and others did not.

I went on to use my Axe Fx Standard 4 cable method with no problems with my Mark IV. A friend of mine wanted to try the Axe Fx with his Mark IV, it was fine if used in the loop but 4 cable method it was noisey.
Just for the hell of it broke out the GSP1101, even that was noisy with my friends Mark IV. Tried the ground lift thing as people were doing with there GSP1101's and that did the trick.
I guess what I am saying don't always look at the unit as the cause.

John

Back
Top Bottom