40 Guitars, All with the Axe-Fx

Hi Jeries,

Very entertaining. Loved it all.
How did you get the percussive sounds like bells and snare drums?

Cheers,

Mats N

Yeah, he's a great guy, he bought my ultra awhile ago. he also had bought a standard after he bought mine.

The percussion, is actual percussion... I am sorry-
I did try to see if there was a way i could mimic all of the percussion on guitar, but I couldn't make it good enough,
so the percussion is percussion, but every single part is on the electric guitar...

All played on guitar:
There's 1 piccolo (i did it with a 1 octave up effect, with a little bit of a 2 octave effect)
2 flutes (one oct up) 2 oboes
5 clarinets, 1 Alto Clarinet, 2 Alto Sax, tenor sax, bari sax, 5 trumpets, 4 horns, 4 trombone parts.... baritone, tuba... all on gtr (i think i got them all)

So all the instruments are guitar except percussion- however, the BELLS, are actual bells- not from the guitar... i kept all the instrumentation on guitar and the pit on the pit-

Every instrument was done with a different sound...
the low brass was all done with a Rectifier USA Distortion sound, some had a Soldono SLO100 sound, a few basic marshall sounds- i have all the settings if anyone's interested in specifics...

they were recorded dry- no delay/reverb, all that was added later...

i tried mixing it on my own but it sounded horrible- so i took it to the real studio to have done and it took an insane amount of work to fill it all out and make it sound pleasent and not sharp/painful... but i'm happy with it.

thanks guys
sorry to disappoint about the percussion

and btw- all the guitars are playing note for note what's on the full score, so i didn't arrange rhythm playing or rhythm parts, i didn't just do background/then play the melody... it's all as is- so the melody goes from the clairinets to the trumpets... and all the horns were done recording it 4 seperate times/etc.

Thank you so much...

I came up with the idea over a year ago... started working on it a year ago-
To make it easier to learn/transpose I took the score and typed it all by hand into Finale... it took between 1 hour and an hour and a half to do each page, and it was 30 pages long (suprisingly almost none of it repeated at all, so i couldn't copy and paste it or anything)

It took me about 2-3 weeks (4-5 days a week 3-6 hours a day) to track it all and edit it all... tried some failed mixes, then took it to the professionals to do.

The hardest part I think of all of it was the 3 part trumpet melody :50- 1:07.

The part i thought would be hard but was totally easy was in the same section, the clarinets and flutes do a 2 part set of moving trills that was really fun to play

(the trumpet melody is panned a bit left, the trills i'm talking about are panned a bit right 50seconds in)

There also isn't really an arrangement, i just played the notes off the page- i could have made it more 'rock' and had rhythm guitars outlining the background and using the music for just the melody and doing my own thing, but i really just played the notes on the page for every part, nothing more nothing else.- For example, there were 4 horn parts that pretty much play chords on the off beats the whole way through, it was recorded one by one doing single notes to build it all up, and thats pretty much how it all was done-- i dont think any part/track/guitar plays more than one note at a time.

thanks for your kind words everyone

Dude... OCD much? lol

Must say pretty damn cool though.

OCD....only if you count the fact that I...

Redid 2 Sax parts because I wasn't happy with it...Trashed/redid All 3 Clarinet parts because I wasn't happy with it... Trashed TWICE All 5 Trumpet parts each... and recorded a total of 8-10 complete basslines.

The most OCD thing is I almost trashed the ENTIRE THING... because of the way I play the line at 2:27-2:30...
I played what was on the music, but thought I made a mistake... because the Boston Pops version I was getting my inspiration from played it different.. with 2 extra eighth notes added... and i went crazy wondering how i could have made the mistake... checked the score... I played what was written in the score...

then searched to find all the versions i could find- and realized what i played was right, and either 1 the boston pops played it wrong... or 2 something in the old school recording of it from the 50s and made that line sound weird.(or the bell player was late)

In fact at about 100 times during the process i almost trashed everything... but i finally finished it.

Back
Top Bottom