3 month review: thoughts so far

jamongrande

Inspired
tl;dr = The learning process for the unit has required a pretty major paradigm shift for me: the Ax8 has ultimately meant a shift in how I control effects, limiting options per preset (partially due to preset-level and bank-level structures), focusing my attention on the Amp/Cab combinations more than anything else, and rethinking how the rest of a band hears me.

A little background for context - I bought an Ax8 late Dec, coming off of a complex channel switching/midi rack setup: Bogner Shiva, dirt and other analog effects in a midi controlled looper, Whammy V, Strymon Mobius and Timeline; all controlled by a Liquid Foot Controoler and a self-designed ipad-Lemur interface. I was able to switch individual effects on and off, and select individual presets in the various midi devices without changing my global preset. Modeling wise, i mainly used a Roland VG-8 system in the early 2000s. I primarily play in event bands, but am heavily invested in free-jazz/free-improv and "jammy" genres.

I've given up quite a bit of flexibility in regards to my old rig. Part of this is due to the amount of time I spent building the previous rig, and part is due to the CPU and control limitations of a preset. I'm able to get a decent amount of effects within a CPU limit, though I can't have everything I want in all of my presets (I've given up on having a pitch shifter in my patches and use the Whammy instead). I'm also running up against the limits of modifiers pretty quickly as well.

At this point, I'm using one template structure (modifiers, order of effects and routing) with variations in amp and cabs. I'm still using a customized Lemur interface, but the modifier limits constrain that as well. It's quite easy to have so much controller and effect variation between presets that it becomes a little tricky to remember what preset has what effects and controls. My preset naming convention helps to an extent (amp/modulation type/other unique features). I have to simplify at this point to get a sense of consistency within constraints. For event band music, this is generally not a problem. For any sort of improvisatory effect use, I would need to add devices (whether midi controller or effects pedals) to achieve what I had before. While an upgrade to an XL+ would certainly help, I know I would still hit limits based on the overall architecture.

Most of my major patch edits deal with amp/cab combinations. This seems to be just a matter of time spent with each block and model/IR. I've barely gotten to know the variations on effects, but again, that variation makes it tricky to remember what preset does what.

The other major shift has been in how the rest of the band hears me. I monitor through my own IEM, while the bands I work with mostly rely on stage volume for monitoring. As I usually run sound, I would be glad to give everyone my guitar through their monitors, but a lot of musicians prefer me to come from my own source that cuts across the stage. They're not quite ready to change their performance process to accommodate what I do, given that the majority of other guitarists they work with still crank an amp on stage.

Soundwise, I've compared to the Shiva handful of times and don't necessarily miss it. In fact, other band members like the way it seems more "even" frequency response-wise and leaves more sonic space on stage for other instruments.

Just some random musings at this stage. Sorry for the length. Thoughts, suggestions, and opinions welcome.

-joe

Last edited:
The modifier system was designed with performance control in mind, not a complete gateway to every parameter in a preset. That could be why you're feeling limited.

Two thoughts:

1. Hopefully you've discovered the global MIDI CC assignments, that don't require modifiers. For example, you can bypass the Reverb block, or switch XY on the Delay block, all from your Lemur interface and without using modifiers.

2. It looks like Lemur supports MIDI SysEx, so you could theoretically craft controls that send specific MIDI SysEx streams rather than a CC stream, which frees up modifiers and gives you access to controls that can't have modifiers.

On CPU, I haven't seen this mentioned recently, so be sure to reduce your Reverb block Density and consider switching it to Normal quality. The Reverb block defaults at the absolute insane high quality, and eats a metric ton of CPU with those settings.

In your musings I got the sense that you were feeling quite a lot of nostalgia for your previous rig setup. With the obvious time and effort you put into your pre-AX8 rig and your seeming satisfaction with it I'm just curious the motivation to make the switch.

I read your musings a few times, and I am sometimes thinking the same. But, you are coming from a complex rig , to another complex rig. They both have limitations, all Rigs will. Your previous rig just makes me cringe with thinking about how much time you spent making it work for you.
First, you should get a powered monitor for the rest of the band to hear. At a friends, I use a gemsound, and I can rock it! Most pick something a little more high brow, but I still get compliments with it.
Definitely a paradigm shift, VG-8 too? You should have at least an advanced degree in programming by now.....

Awesome. But I am surprised you didn't opt for the axII considering the extent of your requirements?
Yeah, that was me being a bit gunshy getting into the whole fractal ecosystem - I didn't want to through down the 2k+ for an XL+ without knowing how the whole thing worked and what the idiosyncrasies of the unit and the individual effects are. I'm considering a change down the road, but for now I can live within the constraints of the AX8. Once I figure out a preset and bank structure that consistently works for my though process, I might be more inclined to spread out the variations I want between presets, and then cue the up via Lemur (easier and faster to jump to a preset in a different bank than using the F switches to navigate).

In your musings I got the sense that you were feeling quite a lot of nostalgia for your previous rig setup. With the obvious time and effort you put into your pre-AX8 rig and your seeming satisfaction with it I'm just curious the motivation to make the switch.

Originally, I wanted something I could use for late night head phone practice that also doubled as an fx replacement for part of my rack effects (essentially everything but dirt and a vocoder). But rather than going that route, I ended up diving all the way in; ditching the 80lb amp and 50 lb rack in favor of the ax8 (I was already bringing a monitor to gig) seemed to good to pass up.

About a month in after making the switch, I felt good enough with the basic tones I set up for gigs to go forward with that. Plus, I was never completely in love with the Shiva's clean compared to say the Rambler it had replaced, and I still needed a dirt pedal to cover the difference between the clean and gain channels (but that's all a different story).

In general, don't take what I'm saying as complaining. I'm trying to document my learning process; I enjoy the work and finding solutions, and thinking about how changes in technologies change my musical thinking.

You could also get fracpad for the ipad instead of lemur

The modifier system was designed with performance control in mind, not a complete gateway to every parameter in a preset. That could be why you're feeling limited....

Thanks for the suggestions! I've been curious about Fracpad, the old Lemur-AxFX app, and also Ax8 Edit since they all seem to employ sysex to do the job. Do Fracpad and the old Lemur app cause the same audio skips as Ax8Edit? Or is the whole "communication pause" issue due to the USB connection? And is there some sysex reference for the AX8, or is it similar to the Axe-fx reference posted in the wiki?

I think my other hesitation with those apps is that they seem to be in the "device-editing" paradigm rather than providing a live performance interface to manipulate. My self-made lemur interfaces group certain controls together more for performance sake rather than reflecting the parameter/editing structure. Not to say the former is bad by any means, I just want the flexibility to reconfigure the arrangement based on what starts to feel comfortable and creative.

Otherwise, I've stated building my new lemur interface for the unit. I think I have something like 26 distinct revisions (each with a handful of variants) of the old rig setup. The ideal setup has the lemur app reflecting any preset changes (what effects are on/off or in x/Y state). I can accomplish this without sysex by setting up scripts in lemur that are triggered via a PC message triggered by the Ax8 (via preset or scene). The global CC's help in this regard; I already have a dedicated page for looper functions that is almost all global CC's (it includes sliders for loop volume and loop trimming).

Regarding reverb and CPU, I'm still convincing myself that I don't need the lovely reverbs in my patches (I can dial in reverb via the mixer as needed), so I will be able to free some of that up. With a little more headroom there, I can bring in the second delay and Multidelay to provide more variation with delays. I think I can also get multiple modulations in a patch once I figure out how to treat them as a "group" in which only one can be activated at a time. I think it will require a combination of parallel paths, a control switch that turns them on or off, and a lemur function to select which is active. And of course, scenes could accomplish something similar using more native means.

I'll try to post a photo or two of the setup when the lemur interface looks publicly presentable.

You should have at least an advanced degree in programming by now.....

Funny that, I do have a PhD in music: a lot of my research focuses on the effects of technology on musical practice. I never went down the path of computer music, but I really enjoy the programming aspect (way more than what most guitarists care for). So yea, my initial post was a little bit of academic navel gazing fueled by an imperial stout.

Have you considered adding an FX8 to provide your "improvisatory" mode?

Have you considered adding an FX8 to provide your "improvisatory" mode?
Matt himself wrote these words some months ago...

The AX8 and FX8 make an amazing duo. We actually designed some of the MIDI features of the AX8 specifically with this in mind. Mark Day played through this setup in the office for a few weeks and we all really loved it. Joe and I still call it "the killer app"

Since the AX8 and FX8 offer the same effect block types, there are three ways to set it up:

FX8 as PRE FX with AX8 as Amp/Cab + Post FX
FX8 in 4CM with AX8 as the "amp"
FX8 as POST FX with AX8 as pre-FX + Amp/Cab

I prefer the third option. 4CM introduces a small bit of extra latency and I find that the AX8 has more than enough juice to handle all of your pre FX as well as amp+cab.

If you like the FX8 as a "pedalboard" then the first option would also be great for you. You'll be able to run Amp, Cab, plus a HIGH quality stereo reverb and still find the AX8 only at about 50% CPU utilization.

Or, you could skip the CAB block, run into a power amp, and use one of your favorite 4x12 speakers.

Back
Top Bottom