2x12" Cab to use with Matrix GT1000

philos

I'm planning to build a new setup a 2x12" stereo cab to use with AxeFX2 and matrix GT1000 in a compact rig and narrowed to these two options:

-Wizard + Governor (16 Ohms each to match best the amp power)

-Swamp Thang + Tonker (as an more neutral higher power option) or maybe two ST's.

All Eminence speakers as the cab maker in Brazil is dealer of them with warranty and good price.

Do you think the Wizard/Governor could be used with the IR's successfully?

I don't like that heavy and stiff sounding EVM/Delta stuff, btw. Swamp Thang/Tonker would be a compromise . But haven't used these models...

I play classic rock, blues and pop-rock (Police, U2, Hendrix, Clapton, Dire Straits...Bon Jovi, EVH... a mix)

Thank you in advance for any comments!

Last edited:
I don't much about eminence speakers in general but if you are planning on using cab sims (IRs) you need as flat and as full range of a speaker you can get

Just FYI, you don't need to run 16 ohm speakers with the Matrix amp. In fact, you'll be able to push more power if you move to 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel, which will present the amp with a 4 ohm load, or you can run it in stereo with 8 ohms per side. You could use one of these for ultimate flexibility: http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/S-H700

Do you think the Wizard/Governor could be used with the IR's successfully?
No way.

The same goes for Swamp Thang and Tonker. All of these are characterful guitar speakers - not intended to be anything close to flat response. Any one/two of them will work fine without cab sim but you won't be able to use a speaker IR through them and have it sounding like it's supposed to.

I like your idea of using two different speakers in a guitar cab, that's what I'm doing too.
But... if you want your rig to be able to do drastically different tones you probably want to look for a FRFR solution.

Thank you for the responses!

A "neutral guitar speaker" like the Lil Eagle, or Jensen Neo 100 (with the extra benefit of low weigh) would be able to run IR sims?

They're reported to have a flatter response, and a extended high (haf-way from a FRFR). I don't mean precise simulation with IR's , anyway, more kind of a dedicated equalizer for speakers.

A compensated IR would be nice feature to add (enter your speaker and the desired Ir and the algorithm compensated booth. The problem: double the process power needed.

I use a Genz Benz 2x12 g-flex cab loaded with Eminence Pro Delta A's. They are 400 watts each and pretty damn flat response. Why color your modeler with a non flat response speaker?

As long as the speaker has flat midrange and treble response, yes, I believe it could work very well. It doesn't have to go all the way down to 20Hz and up to 20000Hz.

A compensated IR would be nice feature to add (enter your speaker and the desired Ir and the algorithm compensated booth.
I have heard people talking about a "inverse IR" for correcting a not-exactly-flat PA-style speaker (Verve was it?). This kind of thing could be immensely useful but I have no idea how to create the inverse of an IR.

The problem: double the process power needed.
Not a problem. The speaker correction IR and the desired cab IR can be combined offline into a single IR.

I had this set up. I was using the V30 without the IRs. I would high recommend using a FRFR speaker and taking advantage of the IR's. Matrix makes a 2 x 12 cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom