250$ for Metallica Black Album Preset

I (as do others) do this professionally. My labor rate is $50 USD per hour. I also help out here and on Facebook groups for free when it suits me and when time permits. There are some rules here about pushing your wares in discussions, so I usually don't mention this unless someone else mentions/tags me first. I like to use dry DI clip(s) provided by the client of their guitar(s), pick, fingers, technique, etc., to ensure that things sound as intended on their end.

Having said that, here is @Singtall's preset posted previously with the Tone Match block added just after the Cab block, as well as a few other tweaks. Then moved the Tone Match block to before the Cab block to keep the 'Room' settings added the Cab block in stereo (Tone Match block is mono). Tone matched using my Epiphone Alex Lifeson.

Look at the grid in the Tone Match block to see what frequencies are manipulated for further guidance if desired.

Firmware 22.01

@MrBurns666 UPDATE... uploaded the wrong version. Cab and Tone Match blocks were not swapped. Also lowered the Cab block 'High Cut' a bit more. Sounds pretty much the same on my EMG equipped Kramer.

Moke

Attachments

• Metallica Black2(Singtall&Moke).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I (as do others) do this professionally. My labor rate is $50 USD per hour. I also help out here and on Facebook groups for free when it suits me and when time permits. There are some rules here about pushing your wares in discussions, so I usually don't mention this unless someone else mentions/tags me first. I like to use dry DI clip(s) provided by the client of their guitar(s), pick, fingers, technique, etc., to ensure that things sound as intended on their end.

Having said that, here is @Singtall's preset posted previously with the Tone Match block added just after the Cab block, as well as a few other tweaks. Then moved the Tone Match block to before the Cab block to keep the 'Room' settings added the Cab block in stereo (Tone Match block is mono). Tone matched using my Epiphone Alex Lifeson.

Look at the grid in the Tone Match block to see what frequencies are manipulated for further guidance if desired.

Firmware 22.01

Moke
I'll take a look at it tonight Moke
Thanks !!

Firmware 22.01

Moke
Metallica doesnt even use a "black album" type tone live, so I doubt the tech even has something very close. And if they did, they would tonematch.

My own personal Metallica preset is based more on their live tone, which works better across all the material, and is a more classic mesa tone imo. But Ill admit I compared it to Sandman and Roam for its "core".

And for those who think that 250$ is way too much for only one preset i would say it depend on how you look at it...
I've very little free time so i value my free time quite a lot.
So far , i've spend maybe 10 hours on this Black Album Preset , i'm new to the AXE FX so there was a learning curve
that did slow me down at first but now i think i'm doing good.
I tend to be a excessive person so i know i willing to spend quite some more hours on it before totally giving up so let say i spend
another 50 hours in the next month on this preset and i end up with something just a bit better than what i already have.
That's gonna be a big waste of my "precious free time".
Paying 250$ for someone else to do the "heavy lifting" IF he can achieve the result that i'm looking for seem quite a bargain to me...
250$ vs 50 hours of my time , that's like 5$ a hours , like i've said , that seem quite a bargain to me.

And for those who think that 250$ is way too much for only one preset i would say it depend on how you look at it...
I've very little free time so i value my free time quite a lot.
So far , i've spend maybe 10 hours on this Black Album Preset , i'm new to the AXE FX so there was a learning curve
that did slow me down at first but now i think i'm doing good.
I tend to be a excessive person so i know i willing to spend quite some more hours on it before totally giving up so let say i spend
another 50 hours in the next month on this preset and i end up with something just a bit better than what i already have.
That's gonna be a big waste of my "precious free time".
Paying 250$ for someone else to do the "heavy lifting" IF he can achieve the result that i'm looking for seem quite a bargain to me...
250$ vs 50 hours of my time , that's like 5$ a hours , like i've said , that seem quite a bargain to me.
Providing a di track is essential to not wasting precious time imo - as that will at least take the guitar / hands factors out of the equation for whoever is working on an a preset for you. Room + playback differences will still remain to be accounted for (whoever takes your money should be asking questions about that (ideally working with the same FR system or headphones)).

the guitar sound on that record was massaged by a LOT more high end audio gear well after it was captured. Guitar sound is achieved in context of a mix. Great sounds no doubt, but look who produced and mixed that record.

Metallica doesnt even use a "black album" type tone live, so I doubt the tech even has something very close. And if they did, they would tonematch.

My own personal Metallica preset is based more on their live tone, which works better across all the material, and is a more classic mesa tone imo. But Ill admit I compared it to Sandman and Roam for its "core".
Only addressing the specific request from the OP. Wants a preset that sounds like the referenced YouTube clip. Be careful what you wish for. 😂

Last edited:
I've just finish testing all the suggestions that i've receive so far and the one that seem to sound the best to me would be the preset
from Singtall combine with the IR from lucasMetallicaentersandmanaxe.
With that said , it's still sound quite close from the result i already had , i was using the Dyna-Cab so the Lucas IR kinda help getting a bit closer of the Black Album Tone but it's still sound "like a live" guitar for a lack of better words , it doesn't sound "ultra process" like the sound clip that i've provide.
I'm looking for that "ultra-process" type of sound.
I'm aware that you can't get that kind of sound from a "normal setup" ( one guitar and one amp ) but the possibility of the AXE FX 3 goes
far beyond this so call "normal setup" so i'm hoping that somebody can make a miracle happen...
Or maybe it's absolutely impossible to achieve that
I guess time will tell...
Thanks so far Guys !!

Last edited:
How do you feel about it today? In a perfect world, AJFA would have the black albums production.
I've calmed the f down a lot about it over the years. Growing up helped a lot :D

Some great (not Enter Sandman) tunes on there as well as one of their best post Justice leads from Hetfield himself. It's a great album just not in the same league of epicness as the early material. I get why they made it now. Certainly.

I still feel like lots of the Black album is just super cringey and feels so much more "edgy" than a band's 5th album should be. I don't know what happened to James' lyric writing but the RTL->AJFA era had some quality, thoughtful lyrics IMO. And then it just feels like a lot of TBA was just... dumbed down.

It has its place, and a lot of what I consider dumbed down is probably perceived by many as "approachable". So yeah...

I get why they made it now. Certainly.

This 100%, even if it marks the beginning of the... "not so great" era of Metallica (IMO).

Reactions: JTI
Just use the IIC++ and a 800 with a V30 cabinet (57 and 241 for mics). Add a bit Reverb and you are almost ready to go.
Dyna Cabs works perfectly in that case aswell.

They key is though to record at least 3 guitar tracks. Left, Right, Middle. for Sad but true you need to record another track with a Baritone just for the accents.

I've just finish testing all the suggestions that i've receive so far and the one that seem to sound the best to me would be the preset
from Singtall combine with the IR from lucasMetallicaentersandmanaxe.
With that said , it's still sound quite close from the result i already had , i was using the Dyna-Cab so the Lucas IR kinda help getting a bit closer of the Black Album Tone but it's still sound "like a live" guitar for a lack of better words , it doesn't sound "ultra process" like the sound clip that i've provide.
I'm looking for that "ultra-process" type of sound.
I'm aware that you can't get that kind of sound from a "normal setup" ( one guitar and one amp ) but the possibility of the AXE FX 3 goes
far beyond this so call "normal setup" so i'm hoping that somebody can make a miracle happen...
Or maybe it's absolutely impossible to achieve that
I guess time will tell...
Thanks so far Guys !!
Its not impossible just kinda unrealistic to achieve. Others said it before, there are some factors that are not be able to reproduce. The room mic for example (Neumann U87) to get chunk that James was after. The closest thing is to use the Mesa add the Marshall 800 to it (for certain mid-frequencies) and a Marshall Cab with V30 speakers. Use a 57/421 Combination.

Very generous!
Onya Moke.

Firmware 22.01

@MrBurns666 UPDATE... uploaded the wrong version. Cab and Tone Match blocks were not swapped. Also lowered the Cab block 'High Cut' a bit more. Sounds pretty much the same on my EMG equipped Kramer.

Moke

Hi Jiveturkey,

Funny how years of experience turns us into 'rounder' individuals.
I miss the feeling of strength and being bulletproof!

thanks
Pauly
I've calmed the f down a lot about it over the years. Growing up helped a lot :D

Reactions: JTI
Back
Top Bottom