250$ for Metallica Black Album Preset

Yeah I'm grasping at straws here 😅
One possibility is that a Tone Match can "age out" over time because it's going to be based on the modeled reference amp at the point its captured. Future modeling changes can result in differences.

However, I'd be surprised if a new owner was aware of that.

Ruling out Tone Match seems like an utterly bizarre requirement.
I even used Tone Match when creating sounds with James Hetfield himself.
Same here, well except for the James Hetfield part.:D

I have used the Tone Match block as a final EQ for a few touring Artists preset projects that I have worked on. The Tone Match block itself may or may not be in the final preset(s). I typically combine that 'final EQ' into a new IR.

The 'Tone Match' block can be amazing. But using it for 'off-line' matches is still a bit of an art form. You have to dial in the gain, distortion texture, tone, and any pre-EQ by ear first. Then you have to play the piece as close as humanly possible to how the original player played it. If there is a different amount of pick attack, pinch harmonics, palm muting, pick slides, hand sliding squeaks, etc, it will throw off the match. Then make some tweaks based on what you see/hear in the Tone Match. Rinse and repeat. The less that the Tone Match needs to do, typically, the more natural the results.

And obviously, the better quality, and wider the frequency spectrum of the source material, the better the match

I'll pay 250$ for that Metallica Black Album Preset.
The risk is, if you shell out $250 big ones for a preset of a tone that someone else has made, it more than likely won't sound at all the same on your guitar & fingers. I mean, it could sound great on the preset creator's guitar and setup, but the exact same preset could sound awful on your setup (purely because of it being used in a different environment).

I think buying presets for replicating effects/routings etc is always useful, but when you download the many presets from Axe-change that promise to sound like a tone from a song/artist, then most of the time you get a surprise when you try it. Although, I can see it being useful as a good starting point, but not worth that kind of cash.

I would start with this preset I made in like 5 minutes, then use tonematch to get the final eq in place.

Attachments

• Metallica Black.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 41
Ruling out Tone Match seems like an utterly bizarre requirement.
I even used Tone Match when creating sounds with James Hetfield himself.
Tease GIF by Shark Week

I wonder why no one asked: frfr or studio monitors? Which guitar and pups? I mean frfr or studio speakers makes a huge difference.

Studio speakers are FRFR.;) Volume plays a bigger part
Tx Moke. And how about speaker size? After a sidestep I came back to 12” and, in my humble opinion, made everything stock in the axe sound better.

Kind regards, Harm

Curious rando on the forum: "What's 2 plus 2?"

90% of respondents:
"17"
"Why would you want to know what 2 plus 2 is?"
"34"
"2 plus 2 is the same as 1 plus 3"
"Get one pile of 2 things and another pile of 2 things and use your eyes to figure out the answer"
"Blueberry cheesecake"

Y'all know you don't HAVE to respond to a post if you aren't actually interested in the specific conceits of it, right? lol

Tx Moke. And how about speaker size? After a sidestep I came back to 12” and, in my humble opinion, made everything stock in the axe sound better.

Kind regards, Harm
It all plays into it. Here is my take...

The guitar/pickups, and the guitarist play the biggest roll in what actually sounds like what. But I think that most people put too much into the FRFR side of this. Things will sound different on different playback systems and in different rooms. Play a well know recording of an isolated guitar part (to rule out the band mix/context), EVH, Hendrix, SRV, Santana, Metallica, etc.. No matter what you listen to it on, High-end monitors in a treated room, headphones, PA speakers, your car, I-Pods, etc... Those artists will absolutely still sound like themselves. You won't think "the tone just doesn't sound like them at all, is this a cover?"

Hey Guys !!
Well , it seem that's ""the party is about to begin""
Please don't get too emotional about all this , it's not my intention to create a animosity kinda vibe in here...
Let me give more details:
My "Metallica"guitar is a Gibson Les Paul with a classic pickup setup ( EMG 81 / 60 )
I'm using the AXE FX 3 in my studio only and i've a pair of Focal Trio6 monitors with a Trinnov system.
The reason i don't wanna have the Tone Match involve for now is , i wanna to see how the guy who did the preset
did reach that sound , i wanna see where are the high pass , the low pass and all those little details...
Like i've already mention , i'm no "black belt sound engineer" so i might learn something from that preset.
I'm not ruling Tone Match out but let say that i'll keep the Tone Match for the last final tuning.
I wanna see how far it's possible to get without Tone Match.
And before asking on this forum , i did collect some free Metallica presets base on the Black Album sound and none of them where
even usable but they all seem to had a much lower firmware version , probably not even for the AXE FX 3 so that might explain
the mediocre quality...
Hopefully that answered some of you guys questioning.
And don't forget , no need to go crazy about this...
Thanks !!

Back
Top Bottom