250$ for Metallica Black Album Preset

Hi Guys
I'm a relatively new owner of a AXE FX 3 and so far , i've spend quite some times trying to emulate the sound of the Metallica Black Album
with the AXE FX 3 , i'm getting close but i think i've reach my limit... I'm no sound engineer so my limited knowledge in that department seem
to indicated that i won't reach my goal...
So i'm asking here cause i'm sure some peoples with more experience than me would be up to the challenge.
You can use everything available on the AXE FX 3 except the "Tone Match". That's the only rule.
I'll pay 250$ for that Metallica Black Album Preset.
Here is the short clip to match:

That's the exact sound that i'm looking for and the preset need to match that sound.
I'm not even sure it's possible so that's why i'm willing to pay that much.
Let me know if you need more details...
Thanks !!

Last edited:
There are like 5 guitar tracks on that. Regardless, just put a tube screamer in front of the IIC++ with tone up high (7.5ish) and your 90% there.
James stopped using drive pedals after Lightning when they moved to Mesa amps.

But honestly trying to do this without tone match is just pointlessly restrictive. A ton of that album's tone comes from the cabs/mic/room.

Do you know how that isolated track has been achieved? It's most likely done via software rather than a direct original track exported from the original recordings. So that alone could change things.

Plus recordings are often multitracked for a fatter sound, studio EQ applied to it etc. While you can replicate some of that with the tools of Axe-Fx 3 it's not the same thing. So chasing a recorded tone is a bit of a fool's errand.

Any preset somebody else makes, even with a recording of it sounding near identical, will not work perfectly for you because you have a different guitar, playing style, output system etc.

Honestly your $250 would be better spent on investing it and spending the effort learning to get the most out of your Axe-Fx 3 to dial it to your liking.

Hi Frozen
I've no problem with custom IR
Thanks !!

You can get a custom IR of a tone match, which captures the final EQ as an IR. Would that violate your "no tone match" requirement?

Do you know how that isolated track has been achieved? It's most likely done via software rather than a direct original track exported from the original recordings. So that alone could change things.

In Metallica's case thanks to the Guitar Hero: Metallica release there are a number of isolated tracks around that came from the original studio masters. I'm not sure that's true of this particular clip, but they are one of the rare examples where some relatively unadulterated isolated tracks exist. Unfortunately it's not a single guitar track but the entire guitar mix bus so it's still not perfect to tone chasing.

Thanks for the suggestion so far...
Look guys , i know what i'm asking for , i do mention in my post that this sound might not even be achievable by itself so that maybe i'm "chasing a rainbow" , i'm aware that this is a possibility so there is no need to remind me that fact.
The key point here is that i would like to have a preset that sound exactly like that.

Thanks for the suggestion so far...
Look guys , i know what i'm asking for , i do mention in my post that this sound might not even be achievable by itself so that maybe i'm "chasing a rainbow" , i'm aware that this is a possibility so there is no need to remind me that fact.
The key point here is that i would like to have a preset that sound exactly like that.

I'll give you mine for free then. It uses the Plague Scythe provided IRs (Freely downloadable from this video).

This has Justice, Puppets, and Black Album dirty tones as well as a generic JC120+CE2 chorus clean tone (still trying to nail that one, but I suspect it has more to do with James' picking technique as mentioned).

I use these to play along with the albums and IMO they're pretty spot-on.

Attachments

• Justice for Puppets.fasBundle
    33.2 KB · Views: 141
I'll give you mine for free then. It uses the Plague Scythe provided IRs

This has Justice, Puppets, and Black Album dirty tones as well as a generic JC120+CE2 chorus clean tone (still trying to nail that one, but I suspect it has more to do with James' picking technique as mentioned).

I use these to play along with the albums and IMO they're pretty spot-on.
I'll try them.
Thanks Rossipedia !!

James stopped using drive pedals after Lightning when they moved to Mesa amps.

But honestly trying to do this without tone match is just pointlessly restrictive. A ton of that album's tone comes from the cabs/mic/room.
Yeah I know, doesnt mean that still doesnt get you close very quickly... To your point though, there are scientific ways to approach it as well. Ive just always been more of a use my ears to match it guy.

Back
Top Bottom