Bug? 2290 Delay not passing audio to active blocks in the delay trail [NOT A BUG]

northtrader

Inspired
Merry Christmas.

I had some time today so I decided to try my hand at the "glitterverb" preset from this thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/94024-effect-guru-question.html

I set up the following blocks in a parallel delay line:
Delay >> Multidelay >> Pitch >> Multidelay >> Filter

As I experimented with the different delay types I noticed that, when I selected the 2290, no sound was processed in the delay line. When I bypassed the effects in the delay trail, the 2290 delay line was 'heard'. When any of the downstream blocks were engaged, the delay line went 'dead'. This was consistent every time I tried it. This did not happen with any other delay type - only happened with the 2290.

Here's the preset:
View attachment GlitterVerbDiff.syx

At the time I was running an Axe II Mark I on firmware 17.03 and AxeEdit 3.4.1.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2290 is unique in that one channel is inverted to make it 180° out of phase with the other channel. This sounds nice and fat in stereo, but if you collapse your signal to mono, those phase-inverted delays cancel each other out, and you don't hear any delay at all. Somewhere in your chain, your delay signal is being collapsed to mono.

The 2290 has one side phase inverted so if you sum the left and right signals the cancel perfectly. Either don't sum the outputs or set the phase shift to none.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the insight and education. I'm sure that's what was going on. I'll check it out when I get home later today.

Back
Top Bottom