2022 new guitars/gear? what has you excited?

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
Curious to see what new gear will come out yet for the year. I just saw two posts today on my Instagram feed.
A new Wolfgang model of his own. Prototype SA-126
Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 3.23.32 PM.png

Also this new Music Man Tobin Abasi model 'Kaizen' looks wild. Not my thing but interesting.

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 3.33.28 PM.png

Last edited:
In 2022?? Les Pauls. Marshalls. And volume!! ;)
This is called taste, kids!

In reality i dont follow brand announcements for namm. Stuff gets posted to forums and i might click the thread.

What im buying in 2022 is a different subject haha.

Doesn't Tosin have his own guitar company? That would be like Ola Englund getting a signature EBMM. Either way, I like the look of it.

Honestly, I'm in a great place as far as gear goes. I look at ads or wander through Reverb, and absolutely nothing entices me and after a minute or two, I'm done.

I have my Fractals, I have two wonderful tube amps, and I have guitars that nicely cover their own bases and can double-up on sounding like others. That's not to say everything is perfect… both of my Strats with Fender's Deluxe Tremolo have gouges worn into the saddles so they buzz and can't be sanded out, so I'm sitting next to two Callaham replacement bridges to be installed "soon". And one of my PRS has a weird electrical problem that I can't figure out so it's on its way back to the factory right now. But they'll figure it out.

And I have my porch, and I have something to sip as I wait for someone to step on my lawn.

Honestly, I'm in a great place as far as gear goes. I look at ads or wander through Reverb, and absolutely nothing entices me and after a minute or two, I'm done.

I have my Fractals, I have two wonderful tube amps, and I have guitars that nicely cover their own bases and can double-up on sounding like others. That's not to say everything is perfect… both of my Strats with Fender's Deluxe Tremolo have gouges worn into the saddles so they buzz and can't be sanded out, so I'm sitting next to two Callaham replacement bridges to be installed "soon". And one of my PRS has a weird electrical problem that I can't figure out so it's on its way back to the factory right now. But they'll figure it out.

And I have my porch, and I have something to sip as I wait for someone to step on my lawn.
Yeah, I'm sort of at gear nirvana at the moment as well. All I do is look for any potential deals, just because.

I'd like to get my diy luthierimg tools up to snuff: nut files, crowning file, end file, levelling beam

+ a lefty Epi Inspired by 335 if/when there's a sale.

That's it other than practice, and like Greg above - sit on the stoop n watch cars go by.

+1 for control surfaces for DAW ‘cause I’ve already own the best modeler and FX unit, the best studio monitors and I don’t like new guitar models (IMHO obviously 😉)

Doesn't Tosin have his own guitar company? That would be like Ola Englund getting a signature EBMM. Either way, I like the look of it.

Looks like he made sure to say it wasn't a 'signature' guitar, he just was consulted on it. I guess when you own the company that endorses you, there's no one to get pissed off if you play something else.

Not my cup of tea either way, though I'll definitely try it if I see one in the wild. Ya never know, I wouldn't turn down a guitar on aesthetics alone if everything else worked. I tend to not like fanned frets as I play a lot of weird jazz chords up above the 12th fret and it makes them awkward...kind of a weird scale though, the 'long' is 25.5, which is not appealing to me either...maybe if you play light strings, which I don't. I think it's the new Rob Scallon Schecter 7-string that has the fanning more offset so the upper frets are straighter, I'd be more interested in that.

Coming from someone who had one of the first Morse and Luke guitars, the latest stuff from MM has just not felt inspiring to me :confused: when I was looking for a domestic high-end 7-string I really wanted to like the JP stuff and I just never connected with it.

(my go-to these days is a Washburn Nuno N7 with a coil split mod, for reference, but I also have a Jackson USA HT7 at 26.5 scale)

For 2022...I already ruined that one, I recently got a Martin SC-10E which has been awesome. For the studio work I do at home I'm fine with my FaderPort, and (now obsolete and refusing to upgrade due to compatibility concerns) DAW. I still use my AX8 several times weekly live and the FM3 lives on my desk. Besides that Martin, which I got because I've been picking up more acoustic shows lately that need lead guitar kinda stuff, I don't think there's much I'm excited about, simply because I don't need it. I don't chase stuff, I do what I do until I need a tool I don't have, and then I'll see what's out there. Sounds like a few of you share that mentality 🍻

Last edited:
I mainly like to window shop...walk around the yard kickin' tires. I'm not all that interested with the myriad of new finish options for same guitars or even new guitars really. Dare I say, I think i'm guitar'd out. Pretty damn satiated with what I have. Probably the only thing that would grab me is more midi /DAW related controllers. Things with knobs that I can go twirly twirly, Savvy?

The Kaizen looks interesting in many ways, and I'm sure the engineering is good. I can appreciate the design elements, but aesthetically, it's not my thing. Yeah, I own a Strandberg, so I shouldn't be casting stones at weird guitar shapes :)

The Kaizen looks interesting in many ways, and I'm sure the engineering is good. I can appreciate the design elements, but aesthetically, it's not my thing. Yeah, I own a Strandberg, so I shouldn't be casting stones at weird guitar shapes
MusicMan seems to have embraced more bolder designs over the years. Coming from a long line of pretty traditional guitars I"m trying to think of the first model that was pretty divergent...maybe the JP Majesty was first to take a sideways turn? I dont' mean that in a negative way...just a different direction in design. There was the Armada too which I believe they stopped making already...the St. Vincent. Now that I think of it the Albert Lee model was pretty angular in design and that's been around long time

Back
Top Bottom