There are no beneficiaries. No one is getting paid or making money. The NHL commish is the worst in major league sports history. Players want more, owners want to give less. Same old story. Every 10 years.

GO FLYERS!

As always, this is about $$$ for both sides. It remains to be SCENE (sic - j/k) if some of the secondary market areas like Columbus, Ohio and Nashville, Tennessee can absorb the fallout from this lockout and still field a franchise. Boston, Detroit, Philly, Montreal...their fans will eventually come back and support their teams...but Phoenix? Hockey is behind soccer and WAAY behind NASCAR in those markets. Personally, I think the overall talent level would improve if some of those teams folded up the tent. Hockey in Miami, Florida? Really? The NHL seems hellbent on expansion, but IMHO there is simply not yet the market for it.

GO BRUINS!! GO BRUINS!!

It's basically like the NFL and NBA lockouts were my friend.

Millionaires and Billionaires fighting over not making enough MONEY!

Sad... but true

It's all the teams jealous of my Kings and knowing they were going to go back to back so the only way they could prevent it was to cancel the season.

Can some of you hockey experts explain to me what the 2012 NHL lockout is about? Who/what started it? Who are the beneficiaries?

In one picture:

0kc8l.jpg

All I have to say is MY TEAM HAS HAD ITS BEST SEASON IN 50 YEARS THIS YEAR! :)

GO LEAFS!

Hey look at it this way!!

Everybody's Team is tied for 1st place!!!!!!

uh oh...
or maybe tied for last :lol

Gary Bettman is horrible... How do you allow 2 lockouts in what? 10 years?

Go Whale! Oh wait... we don't have a team anymore :(

What is NHL, ice hockey or something? And what is a lock-out? I get the impression ice hockey is a bit like WWF in terms of being more about entertainment rather than sport but I don't really know so don't go all mediaeval on me:)

What is NHL, ice hockey or something? And what is a lock-out? I get the impression ice hockey is a bit like WWF in terms of being more about entertainment rather than sport but I don't really know so don't go all mediaeval on me:)

Oh, man! Professional hockey players are freaking athletic geniuses if you ask me. Yeah, the fans like to see a good tussle now and then, but the pure sport is the GREATEST IMHO. It can be a hard game to follow if you don't know the game well or understand the rules. It's kind of like soccer, except on ice, and instead of a ball they use a hard rubber puck, and you can pass and shoot the puck with a stick allowing the puck to travel at up to 105 mph, and they allow hitting of all kinds, and the game moves really fast most of the time. How can you lose? Actually, if you follow the game of lacrosse, it's a lot like that on ice.

IMO, most of the players (except for the biggest stars) are underpaid and have a much healthier respect for the sport and the fans than any other sport where players are always show-boating and slacking off.

Oh, man! Professional hockey players are freaking athletic geniuses if you ask me. Yeah, the fans like to see a good tussle now and then, but the pure sport is the GREATEST IMHO. It can be a hard game to follow if you don't know the game well or understand the rules. It's kind of like soccer, except on ice, and instead of a ball they use a hard rubber puck, and you can pass and shoot the puck with a stick allowing the puck to travel at up to 105 mph, and they allow hitting of all kinds, and the game moves really fast most of the time. How can you lose? Actually, if you follow the game of lacrosse, it's a lot like that on ice.

IMO, most of the players (except for the biggest stars) are underpaid and have a much healthier respect for the sport and the fans than any other sport where players are always show-boating and slacking off.

Oh ok thanks for that. I've seen some stuff on the TV but they tend to only show the fights here in the UK and it all looks a bit fixed as they are all armoured-up, hence my reference to the WWF. I've been to Canada quite a bit and tried to watch a game on TV but it was too fast for me to follow the action so I gave up after a couple of minutes. Of course in the UK we don't have any overpaid, under-educated sportsmen as they all do it for the love of sport and in addition are exemplary role-models for youngsters.

I'm not an NHL expert by any stretch, but used to love catching it late at night on Channel 5. I get most of the game but don't have any idea what the Lock Out is
no.gif

this whole lockout thing is really sickening....
it just denies everyone of everything..

and when you keep seeing "talks ended in deadlock" and "more games canned" it does my head in...
it's more like a corporate pssing contest than anything else...
looks to me like the underlying issues are greed and vanity...

and the lockout means that I'll have to wait before I can go get my next fix of Texas
especially as some of the locals [after many many beers in Deep Ellum] granted me the status of Honorary Texican... lol...

GO STARS ! ! ! !

ahhh... but at least here at home we still have hockey [ok so it's not NHL, but it's better than no hockey at all]..
and thanks to the lockout we have a couple of NHL players here for a while... yaaayyyyy.....

GO STEELERS ! ! ! !

I firmly believe there should be a season ticket holder/fan union with a seat at every collective bargaining agreement talk.

So while they are bickering over 2%-5% of revenues we could simply say… “We want a 10% reduction in beer and parking prices and if you don’t get your shit together and start the season within two weeks we not only will not come when you do but we will hold out next year too!”

I bet they would come to an agreement real quick! :)

cobbler - is this akin to the ridiculous excesses which exist in top-level football over here..?

I hear about smaller clubs which have their roots the best part of century ago and have meant a great deal to a lot of people going bust for less than a Premiership Footballer earns in a day. Most people are dismayed by such disparity, yet if they really are that concerned, they could simply choose not to buy match day / season tickets. That would certainly grab the attention and change the culture, but it would need everyone to take the same stance and there's not a chance of it happening, sadly

Exactly! Many times in these battles they lose more than they are bargaining for just because of the missed time. It's absurd.

If there truly was a fan union it would as you said put a lot of pressure on them when season ticket holders held out. But as you also noted, it would take a vast majority to agree to it and that would be almost impossible. The owners/players know damn well that no matter how long they hold out the fans will come streaming back in.

cobbler - is this akin to the ridiculous excesses which exist in top-level football over here..?

I hear about smaller clubs which have their roots the best part of century ago and have meant a great deal to a lot of people going bust for less than a Premiership Footballer earns in a day. Most people are dismayed by such disparity, yet if they really are that concerned, they could simply choose not to buy match day / season tickets. That would certainly grab the attention and change the culture, but it would need everyone to take the same stance and there's not a chance of it happening, sadly

as a point of interest...
a few of the oldest Hockey teams in the world are actually in the UK..

The Oxford Blues [the Uni team] played Cambridge [back in 1885]..
the first hockey game in Europe
and the Oxford / Cambridge rivalry is recognised as being the oldest in the game worldwide..

and I think the original Streatham team in London goes back to the early 1930's [or something like that]..
the modern Streatham Redskins has roots back to that original team..

EDIT: funny really.... despite the British national team being ranked a lowly 21st..
ice hockey actually has very strong [though not total] origins / ties that are linked to the UK and British in Canada
especially around the late 1800's / early 1900's

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom