2 x FRFR Speakers for Gigging, $1000 budget. Help a brother get started?

Skanky

Inspired
Hi fellow Fractal nuts!

I'm currently playing through the Axe Fx II into a Carvin FET1000 Amp, to a Carvin 4x12 cabinet. I'd like to swap the cabinet for 2x FRFR speakers for:
  1. Better sound quality at home
  2. Better sound quality at gigs/practice
  3. Portability (I can't pack the 4x12 into my car)
I'd like to stick with a $1000 budget, which might be overkill, but hey - bitcoin is good right now and I'm thinking of cashing in.

There's just so much information here - all I really want is something that will sound great and can play loud enough for practice and gigs, and not break the bank. Not asking for much, right? lol. Some of the places I'd be gigging might not have the ability to plug up directly to the sound board, so the FRFRs may have to be mic'd.

I may or may not sell the Carvin Cabinet for some extra cash, so there's that too.

I'll also probably be buying some pole stands for the FRFRs. So, where to start? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

I'm certain a quick forum search will find you an answer but given that the new QSC K 2.0 series are released the original QSC K10 and K12's (especially the K10) can be had for $1K/pair. The EV ZLX and ELX series IIRC both meet or beat that budget. I have a CLR and an TruSonic Alto TS212 ($300) and its 80% of what a CLR is so, I like virtually everyone else on this forum will tell you, you have to go demo the speakers to see what appeals to your ears/budget.

Yamaha and Mackie also have the DBR and DXR (IIRC) series in 10" and 12" that might make your budget as well.

If you are ok with passive cabs, you can get 2 Xitone wedges in your budget.

Excellent sound, great build quality, outstanding customer support.

If you are ok with passive cabs, you can get 2 Xitone wedges in your budget.

Excellent sound, great build quality, outstanding customer support.

Funny you mention that, because i was literally just researching those!

Do they have post mounting? How would you typically gig with them otherwise? Loud enough? I'll be playing 80's and 90s metal, so...

Funny you mention that, because i was literally just researching those!

Do they have post mounting? How would you typically gig with them otherwise? Loud enough? I'll be playing 80's and 90s metal, so...
There is an option for a "tophat" so they can be pole mounted.

They are wedges, so the primary use is for monitoring as opposed to backline. However, used to use one as a monitor and one as a backline.

You can ask @MicFarlow about other options... He'll take care of you.

There is an option for a "tophat" so they can be pole mounted.

They are wedges, so the primary use is for monitoring as opposed to backline. However, used to use one as a monitor and one as a backline.

You can ask @MicFarlow about other options... He'll take care of you.

When you had your wedges set up like that, how did you control the volume independently between the two?

I don't love the Altos personally, the mids feel sucked out for me. Maybe people are compensating for that on the Axe side. I'm using an EV ZLX and it's pretty solid once you tune a little.

After doing a bit more research, I'm looking at the Electro Voice zlx 12 pretty closely. However, I'm curious what people would think about getting the active version versus the passive version? Is there any negatives to getting the active versions and just using the onboard amps versus my own separate power amp? It would definitely be more portable that way, but am I compromising in the quality of the onboard amp?

After doing a bit more research, I'm looking at the Electro Voice zlx 12 pretty closely. However, I'm curious what people would think about getting the active version versus the passive version? Is there any negatives to getting the active versions and just using the onboard amps versus my own separate power amp? It would definitely be more portable that way, but am I compromising in the quality of the onboard amp?

I have a pair of the powered EV's and to be honest I think there are better solutions out there that work in your budget. To me the EV's have a polished sound about them and lack definition in the mids.

Are you going to using them for back line duty or fold back type of monitoring?

I am sure you know what you want, but do you really need two? That was my first thought with Fractal because it can run stereo. But one speaker sounds fine, too, and to me, stereo doesn't add much on a small stage. One CLR is in your budget and pretty light and portable. They are loud, but one might not be loud enough if you are playing really large clubs.

For me, powered monitors are an easier load in and set up so I prefer them, thought they do not seem quite as reliable as passive with an amp. The sound modules still seem to be a bit glitchy, with a very, very infrequent, but higher than I would like, instance of cutting out until power cycled or emitting strange pops. This has happened to me once on a gig with one of the top brands, but never occurred since.

I have a pair of the powered EV's and to be honest I think there are better solutions out there that work in your budget. To me the EV's have a polished sound about them and lack definition in the mids.

Are you going to using them for back line duty or fold back type of monitoring?

I plan on using them for whatever works best really. Probably back line for most gigs, since all the places I've played so far have their own monitors. Plus, I'm hoping that the back line will be loud enough anyways. But if i want, i could do a back + wedge monitor for other events

I plan on using them for whatever works best really. Probably back line for most gigs, since all the places I've played so far have their own monitors. Plus, I'm hoping that the back line will be loud enough anyways. But if i want, i could do a back + wedge monitor for other events
If the places you are playing have monitors and a FOH PA, what do you need a backline for? Your bandmates will hear you from their monitors and the audience from the FOH... You really only need them if you want to hear yourself exactly all the time.

I am sure you know what you want, but do you really need two? That was my first thought with Fractal because it can run stereo. But one speaker sounds fine, too, and to me, stereo doesn't add much on a small stage. One CLR is in your budget and pretty light and portable. They are loud, but one might not be loud enough if you are playing really large clubs.

For me, powered monitors are an easier load in and set up so I prefer them, thought they do not seem quite as reliable as passive with an amp. The sound modules still seem to be a bit glitchy, with a very, very infrequent, but higher than I would like, instance of cutting out until power cycled or emitting strange pops. This has happened to me once on a gig with one of the top brands, but never occurred since.

Can the active monitors be used as passives if that ever happens? How do you feel about the sound quality?

If the places you are playing have monitors and a FOH PA, what do you need a backline for? Your bandmates will hear you from their monitors and the audience from the FOH... You really only need them if you want to hear yourself exactly all the time.

We play some places where the sound guys are complete morons and refused to turn up the monitor with more guitar in the mix. I do have to hear what I'm playing to some extent

Well, personally I'm partial to Coaxial speakers because of how they sound meaning they sound more like a guitar speaker because of the way they are designed.

So on the budget side you have Seismic SAX 12m pw witch at the moment they are out of stock on you could run the 15's I here they work pretty good but are a little heavy.

Then there is Yorkville NX10c which I know a few people have tried with mixed reviews 1 liked them another did not because of the type of music he was playing (drop tuned metal) which makes sense but are light and have good power for there size.

The other speaker that comes to mind that gets a lot of love and sounds really good is the Yamaha drx series but are little over the price range you are working in.

Back
Top Bottom