2 x FRFR Speakers for Gigging, $1000 budget. Help a brother get started?

We play some places where the sound guys are complete morons and refused to turn up the monitor with more guitar in the mix. I do have to hear what I'm playing to some extent
Yep.. That's why I was saying you want them for hearing yourself, in which case you're better off using them as wedges in front of you rather than a backline

Yep.. That's why I was saying you want them for hearing yourself, in which case you're better off using them as wedges in front of you rather than a backline

Since I'll be getting two, i can have both for all possibilities, plus, true stereo for home practice.

Welp, for better or worse, I pulled the trigger on a pair of EV ZLX-12P active speakers, 2 stands, and 2 cables - great deal considering I'm still under budget!

I verified that they will work both active or passive, so that's good.

I'll let you all know how it goes once I've had a chance to plug them up and try them out!

Thanks a million to everyone who commented in this thread. You are all very very helpful!

Seismic also has a 10" and a 15" powered and passive boxes.
If you already have an amp. Also use an NL-4 to biamp if needed.

These are COAXIAL (FRFR) cabs with Speakon connectivity

Last edited:
Can the active monitors be used as passives if that ever happens? How do you feel about the sound quality?

I don't think so. The only input on the CLR is an XLR plug. The glitch incidence is very low, but it has happened to me with both top brands. I still use them because one is super portable and for the other, to me, nothing sounds better than a CLR (I have also owned Verve FBT, Matrix power amp into a passive Xitone 2 x 12 cab or into a THD 2 x 12 cab, Matrix FR12). I only use one speaker when gigging because it's plenty loud for stage volume and the difference in sound isn't worth the cost in portability.

Agreed! I compared these to the zlx's that I have and the difference is huge... The Seismics are more present sounding with the same presets beeing used, my guitar gets lost in the mix through the EV's without EQ'ing not sure why but with the two side by side for monitoring the Seismics win.

@ Skanky, let us know what you think when you get your EV's.

Hey - got the EV's up and running today. Obviously, they're incredible compared to my Carvin 4x12 cabinet, just because of the added range and separation. Haven't had a chance to really crank them up hard yet, but I think I can tell already that they will be more than capable of keeping up at stage volume levels.

Loving the sound so far - realizing how much different it all is with FRFR versus the cab I had. Now I have to go tweak all my presets. LOL

Thanks everyone for your help. Practice is Tuesday, so we'll see what my band mates think.

You may want to low cut and high cut everything so you cut through at rehearsal. Full FRFR can get buried in the mix compared to a cab.

Back
Top Bottom