2 minute update time limit...

tcvans

Inspired
Just a heads up. I was one of the first group to get the MFC-101.

I have always had trouble updating firmware. It's always taken dozens of tries with "error 14" messages.

I have known this for awhile, but I have a 2 minute, 10 second-ish window to flash the MFC before the "error 14" pops up.
The file size for each release has obviously gotten bigger which shortens my time limit.

it took 3 hrs, multiple midi interfaces, and very fast mouse clicks to make it to 100%.
And I made it by just a few seconds.

The Ultra and II have always gone without a hitch. But I don't dare perform another MFC update in fear of bricking my awesome controller.

My question... Has anyone else experienced this? Or taken note?
I had to go back to MidiOX with a 51ms buffer (any less then all sorts of fun things happen. LOL). Unfortunately, Fractal-Bot couldn't do it in time.

Thx,
T

Last edited:
I have always had an easy go of it with MFC updates. I've used Sysex Librarian on a Mac an a Midisport UNO. Reboot the MFC in update mode, start the transfer
and everything worked. This time for some reason, the MFC wouldn't update at all initially with the new firmware. I kept rebooting the MFC; it would come up
and enter update mode but when I started the transfer...crickets.... So I kept rebooting and starting the transfers again and again. I eventually moved to
FractalBot and retried and it worked. I don't think the FractalBot or new firmware had anything to do with this glitch but it was frustrating.
I have 2 MFCs and the second one went without a hitch. Fractal stuff generally works very well for me.

To avoid issues I've slowed things way down in midi-ox and make sure only the midi-in cable is connected.
Low level output buffers size-256, num-16 then check delay after f7 with 120ms then solid as a rock.

Haven't had a chance to see if fractalbot makes any difference, I too had issues before my settings were like this but not since.

To avoid issues I've slowed things way down in midi-ox and make sure only the midi-in cable is connected.
Low level output buffers size-256, num-16 then check delay after f7 with 120ms then solid as a rock.

Haven't had a chance to see if fractalbot makes any difference, I too had issues before my settings were like this but not since.

I can't slow things down. I only have 2 mins before it fails. for example. If I set the buffer to 120ms and immediately click send, I'll get to 47% then an error 14.
If I set it to 90ms, I may get to 77%. Even If I just leave the "Waiting for Update" screen on the MFC, It will timeout around 2mins 10secs.

It's a mystery to me, but it's the same every time. 2 minutes 10 seconds. Hmmmmmmm

Try this... Unplug all the midi cables and cat5 and power up with ac adapter in FW update mode... It should just sit there with "FW Update Mode" on the screen. If you get an error with nothing connected there is probably something else going on and would contact support. I tried it mine a moment ago and was able to power off / on back to where I was at with no issues... Let it sit like that for almost 10 minutes with no errors.

If that works fine it sounds like something is sending garbage or querying the midi port. Really don't have much to suggest other than trying to shutdown anti-virus temporarily and anything that could possibly touch the USB bus. And if you decide to give it another try, make sure the only connection to MFC is midi in (disconnect midi out) and have USB plugged directly to your pc USB ports and not a hub, monitor etc.

I tried the solution that jjozwia suggested. NO GO! 2 mins 10 secs, but instead of an error 14, the MFC reboots/starts up. anymore suggestions?

Wow, that's special. You can try a factory reset to see if that resolves, I suspect fractal support would recommend that as a next step but sounds like you need to contact them. Good luck!

I perform a factory reset of the entire rig whenever either piece get an update. In fact, after I was to get 2.16 finally on, the first thing the MFC asked was to reset.

This whole time I thought this was normal and never brought it up before. Not until I've been reading how everyone else was sailing through this release.

I sent an email to support directing them to this post.

I have seen this, not only on old MFCs, but on new ones -- but just a few times since the debut of the product.
Once you get an update to take, the time limit should be gone the next time you do an update.

For reference, I used the same settings you did: MIDI-Ox, with 50 ms between buffers.

I was also able to help another customer with this problem on a Mac, using Fractal-Bot and a setting of 90 ms between buffers (Mac MIDI is always faster).

Best,

Having the exact same problem trying to upgrade to MFC v3.0 firmware. The device is bricked, only boots up with an Error 14, and if I put into FW Flash mode, and just let it sit there for a bit over 2 minutes, it goes into Error 14. Any other suggestions please? I've tried pretty much everything in this thread, as well as every other one I could find, on this topic.

For anyone looking for an answer to this problem, the solution is to flash the MFC-101 in less than the ~2:00 timeout. I ended up having to use a separate external interface (midisport 2x2) and crank down the delay to about 50ms (using Sysex Librarian on OS X), and I just *barely* made it under the timeout deadline.

For anyone looking for an answer to this problem, the solution is to flash the MFC-101 in less than the ~2:00 timeout. I ended up having to use a separate external interface (midisport 2x2) and crank down the delay to about 50ms (using Sysex Librarian on OS X), and I just *barely* made it under the timeout deadline.

I had sent mine in. The 2:10 thing wasn't fixed. When I upgraded to 3.0, I had the same issues as before. So far, I always seem to find a way. I figure at some point it'll be time vs. distance and I'll run out of time.

Back
Top Bottom