2 Guitar Options: NGD!

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Hi,

Like many of you, I'm a modest guitar hobbyist with a comparably small collection of 4 PRS Guitars. All of which are SE models after owning 2 core or Private Stock models at one time. Because PRS quality is what it is these days, you don't need to be a dentist or doctor to enjoy quality workmanship in imported models.

That being said, my guitar collection has room for one additional guitar. My options are a PRS Silver Sky SE Rosewood, or a D'Angelico Premier Mini DC. Allow me to describe why these 2 guitars are being considered, then, if possible, please offer your thoughts as to why you might prefer one over the other.

Most all of my life I've preferred Humbucker-equipped guitars. There is something about owning a Humbucker guitar because of the balanced, smooth tone one can coax from Humbucker pickups. Conversely, single-coils, IMHO, tend to be more contrasted, jangly, sharper pick attack...

For this reason alone I'd sway my vote towards the Humbucker guitar. Why not just buy a Premier Mini? Part of my dilemma comes from loyalty to PRS. Many times I'd purchased other brands only to discover a too-large neck profile, or work that might need be done once the guitar arrives. My loyalty to PRS is largely based on the fact that seldom if ever might I need to perform work on a guitar once it'd arrive. And the Premier will need work, typically a bone nut replacement for the proprietary PPS nut offered with the sale. Good news is, my luthier buddy has agreed to removing/replacing the nut for the cost of a nut, and one of my homemade meatloaves. Well, dang, wouldn't you jump at that offer?

My mind is comparatively made up already; the guitar likely to be purchased soon with a replacement nut purchase added in, the guitar to arrive some weekday afternoon. Upon arrival, guitar and nut make the trip to my buddy's workshop where the repair is to be accomplished. I provide meatloaf upon completion of work, maybe a quick sandwich/wrap lunch at an eatery, we head back to check out his work and discuss any immediate tweaks, then home to try out the guitar.

Although I realize the the Silver Sky SE might have a greater resale profile, the Premier Mini DC is an ES-339 value in its own right, with features that are not easily located among imported or standard models, the standard models costing almost 4 times as much. I honestly think that the rarity alone of the D'Angelico might be a reason to consider purchase. These might fade from public view in due time, and their respective value might increase. While it's difficult to judge what the future of imported guitar values might be several years from now, the Premier Mini DC might be THE guitar that will round out my collection until PRS builds the next-new gotta-have-it import model.

Last edited:
I'd grab the silver sky, get some single coils back in the stable. Says the guy who just got another strat last week ;)

I don't know anyone with a D'Angelico, and given the amount of time I spend on forums I'd expect to see more NGD's if they were a great get.

I'd grab the silver sky, get some single coils back in the stable. Says the guy who just got another strat last week ;)

I don't know anyone with a D'Angelico, and given the amount of time I spend on forums I'd expect to see more NGD's if they were a great get.
I'd consider the Silver Sky, but my ears and fingers just don't "like" single-coils when I play them. Sure, name any good Strat blues guitarist and I'd agree they've got great tone and sound...single coils and I just can't find common ground.

The D'Angelico Premier Mini XT DC has Seymour Duncan Jazz and JB pickups. The downside is that it will need a new bone nut. That'll be taken care of. Ovangkol fretboard? Meh. YT videos sound decent. At $8 bills on sale Sweetwater they seem like a great deal. For a ES-339-style guitar with slim-taper 60's C neck, that was the selling point for me. Recently, I tried a Gibson ES-339 as well as an Epiphone ES-339...both had 50's thick necks and were either resold or returned quickly. Only when you you reach the $6K level will you see 60's slim taper necks on Gibson ES-339s.

Call it being smart, but who else doesn't want to save money yet receive a decent guitar you did your research for? My only concern is that a little temptation put the purchase wheels for the D'Angelico in motion. A good set of brakes put the kibosh on an out of reach $6K guitar.

Last edited:
Which guitars do you currently have?

The biggest thing is playing the guitars and seeing which connects with you. While I swap pickups and tinker quite a bit, if you don't really like the guitar out of the gate you never will. Value doesn't mean a thing if you don't enjoy it.

I think a small collection of PRS SE guitars would be really fun. I'd go with a DGT, Silver Sky, and Hollowbody because it would cover basically the entire range. But that assumes you really like the guitars out of the gate, and the few SS and HB SE's I've tried in person weren't as good as most SE's I've played (though it's likely just bad examples of good guitars).

Although I realize the the Silver Sky SE might have a greater resale profile, the Premier Mini DC is an ES-339 value in its own right, with features that are not easily located among imported or standard models, the standard models costing almost 4 times as much.
This is all I need to read - buy the Premier Mini DC. You want it.

Any time I hear someone mention resale value of a guitar, I know it's something they're not in love with.

If you want what I would consider a nicer guitar than the D'Angelico, have you looked at one of these?

https://prsguitars.com/electrics/model/se_hollowbody_ii_piezo_2024

The piezo and an Axe-Fx give you some cool and unique sound options. They also have less expensive non-piezo hollowbody options if the piezo thing doesn't float your boat.
I'm pretty neck agnostic, I have an Epi ES339 that my wife gave me when I wanted to try a hollowbody guitar and it's a decent guitar. Nice and light and comfy for me to play. Nice pickups too. I gigged with it for a couple of years because it could cover any style. But for me the ES body shape is the guitar equivalent of butterface. They just aren't handsome guitars to me.

Which guitars do you currently have?

I think a small collection of PRS SE guitars would be really fun. I'd go with a DGT, Silver Sky, and Hollowbody because it would cover basically the entire range. But that assumes you really like the guitars out of the gate, and the few SS and HB SE's I've tried in person weren't as good as most SE's I've played (though it's likely just bad examples of good guitars).
The McCarty 594 SE, the DGT SE, the Hollowbody II SE and the A60E SE acoustic. The only one I don't currently own is the PRS McCarty 594 SE Singlecut. (Concerned about guitar weight over the long term, so currently enjoy the McC 594 SE DC.)
This is all I need to read - buy the Premier Mini DC. You want it.

Any time I hear someone mention resale value of a guitar, I know it's something they're not in love with.
Yeah, I'd thought that I'd save some by buying used, but Premier Mini DC's are pretty hard to find 2nd-hand. Likewise the SS SE, except they're all over the place. If I didn't bond with the Silver Sky, it'd be more difficult to offload that than perhaps the Mini DC. Just thinking from a current market / availability viewpoint.
Have you considered a Vela?
Thanks, but meh. Not keen on the pups or body shape. My style of music is geared towards blues and eclectic jazz, maybe not what the Vela is best used for.
If you want what I would consider a nicer guitar than the D'Angelico, have you looked at one of these?

https://prsguitars.com/electrics/model/se_hollowbody_ii_piezo_2024

The piezo and an Axe-Fx give you some cool and unique sound options. They also have less expensive non-piezo hollowbody options if the piezo thing doesn't float your boat.
I'm pretty neck agnostic, I have an Epi ES339 that my wife gave me when I wanted to try a hollowbody guitar and it's a decent guitar. Nice and light and comfy for me to play. Nice pickups too. I gigged with it for a couple of years because it could cover any style. But for me the ES body shape is the guitar equivalent of butterface. They just aren't handsome guitars to me.
Thanks, I've already got a PRS HBII SE. Owned a piezo model couple years ago and had trouble with the dual cable aspect before learning about FAS. Prefer to keep things simple and avoid any extra battery-powered piezo. The HBII is enough currently for traditional jazz.
The Premier Mini XT DC will add a jazz lounge look to my collection. Already ordered and will arrive early next week.

Cool, Mike Olson was playing D'Angelico EX-DC's in Lake Street Dive when he was in the band. He got some nice tones from them.

The OCD part of my brain just says get the PRS SE Silver Sky to complete the collection lol

The OCD part of my brain just says get the PRS SE Silver Sky to complete the collection lol
I've previously owned several single-coil style guitars from Fender, to Suhr, to PRS. I really don't know what to make of everything...it's just that single-coils and I have this love/hate thing...every time I'm tempted into buying a single-coil guitar, the relationship lasts about 6 months, then its back into the wild with the devalued guitar. I keep telling myself, "Don't bother, you'll only end up selling it for a humbucker guitar." You'd think I'd have learned by now. Nope. My business relationship with my retail grocer is far better than my track record with single-coils....

Cool, Mike Olson was playing D'Angelico EX-DC's in Lake Street Dive when he was in the band. He got some nice tones from them.
Thanks for the shout-out to Lake Street Dive. I'd never heard them before and the lead singer has got incredible pipes. I looked through several YT videos but couldn't flag any Excels, so my guess is that this goes back a few years...

I've previously owned several single-coil style guitars from Fender, to Suhr, to PRS. I really don't know what to make of everything...it's just that single-coils and I have this love/hate thing...every time I'm tempted into buying a single-coil guitar, the relationship lasts about 6 months, then its back into the wild with the devalued guitar. I keep telling myself, "Don't bother, you'll only end up selling it for a humbucker guitar." You'd think I'd have learned by now. Nope. My business relationship with my retail grocer is far better than my track record with single-coils....

You ever have a P90 guitar? I’m addicted pretty bad. If you haven’t you should try one.

I got this Jazzbird body recently, to transplant the Noventa Jazzmaster neck onto, since the Jazzmaster style bridge and vibrato tailpiece and I don't get along. It nicely filled a gap here big time - Firebird Mini HBs. Loving it so far, though I foresee upgrading the good-sounding, but unpotted and microphonic pickups. If I had a vacuum oven, I'd try potting them in wax. Sounds like you want that 339 style guitar....

You ever have a P90 guitar? I’m addicted pretty bad. If you haven’t you should try one.
TBH, I owned a couple PRS McSoapies years ago. I don't recall whether I bonded with them or not. Maybe they were just..."OK" but were later sold for lack of interest? Dunno, honestly.
I got this Jazzbird body recently, to transplant the Noventa Jazzmaster neck onto, since the Jazzmaster style bridge and vibrato tailpiece and I don't get along. It nicely filled a gap here big time - Firebird Mini HBs. Loving it so far, though I foresee upgrading the good-sounding, but unpotted and microphonic pickups. If I had a vacuum oven, I'd try potting them in wax. Sounds like you want that 339 style guitar....
Thanks. My luthier buddy owns a Jazzmaster (or something of like build) and enjoys the pups. The large scale body and length, as well as the electronics layout IMHO is designed for people over 6 feet tall. I'd look like silly sitting behind a Jazzmaster because of its huge size. The D'Angelico Premier Mini XT DC Vintage Sunburst is on its way to CT and should arrive Monday. Will keep you posted until then.

TBH, I owned a couple PRS McSoapies years ago. I don't recall whether I bonded with them or not. Maybe they were just..."OK" but were later sold for lack of interest? Dunno, honestly.

Thanks. My luthier buddy owns a Jazzmaster (or something of like build) and enjoys the pups. The large scale body and length, as well as the electronics layout IMHO is designed for people over 6 feet tall. I'd look like silly sitting behind a Jazzmaster because of its huge size. The D'Angelico Premier Mini XT DC Vintage Sunburst is on its way to CT and should arrive Monday. Will keep you posted until then.
Jazzmasters are strat sized give or take (I’ve had 4). Body shape is a little different but they fit the body similarly. No ones gonna think you look silly ;) no point writing off a guitar based off imaginary opinions imo.

All that said, hopefully your new guitar rocks your world :)

Back
Top Bottom