1U AXE Control Panel

Isn't this just a MIDI controller that sends CC messages via rotary encoders and buttons?
You'll need to handle SysEx to work most of the controls.

By the way, I like what you built there. ;)

I'll try to prototype it in midibox. But can we control Gain, Bass, Mid, Treb, Pres, MV, Rev Mix, FX Mix though sysex. Anyone have the specification? Then is is easy..
Every parameter on every effect block can be controlled by SysEx. I have already prototyped the system in software and it is definitely feasible.

So, in general, what would people prefer for a control interface, an LED ring around a rotary encoder, or (2 or 3) seven segment displays?

Take the poll so I have an idea of what people want: PollJunkie.com - Axe-FX II Amp-Panel Midi Controller Poll

Rotary Encoder with LED Ring
Encoder-LED-AllOn2.png

Seven Segment Display
7-Segment-LED-Display-0-36-3-DIGIT-Super-Blue-7-Segment-LED-digital-tube-CC.jpg

Hey David, a few posts above you ask about whether people want rotary encoder displays or seven segment displays. How about neither!

The Axe-Fx will already show the parameter as you're changing it, not to mention that having your unit communicate back-and-forth with the Axe-Fx instead of just issuing one way commands could likely cause the sound to jitter when you alter parameters like it does when you edit them in Axe-Edit.

Basically, I'm suggesting that building in data readout mechanisms on your unit would probably be a lot of extra work for features that would be made redundant by the Axe-Fx anyway.

I am also interested in this. I had the DG-1000, and the motorized knobs were awesome. Add to that an automatic save function or a "live mode", and it'd be a winner (the changes would be preserved when when changing presets). One think I'd also like would be a global adjustable solo boost like the TC Electronics G-system had. I know it can be done otherwise in Axe, and I have, but I think in G-system it was a brilliant feature.

Reactions: MNG
Great! Congratulations! I guess Al and Sebasto's controller will be very professionally looking and industrially solid!

I also managed to build a homebrew prototype based on the midibox platform (like arduino but is fully dedicated to midi) I've got six encoders with gain, bass, mid, treb, pres and vol. More can easily be added once i find the sysex protocol of global reverb and fx mix. It can be daisy chained with my FCB 1010 foot controller. So this is an option too if you're into diy.

And it works!

Pics:
IMG_2276.jpgIMG_2275.jpgIMG_2277.jpg
http://midibox.org/forums/topic/19137-controlling-my-axe-fx-guitar-processor-with-mbng/

It only shows the parameters as they're changing if you dive into the menus (or have the unit bring up the appropriate menu as you change the value), which to me defeats the point. If you just send SysEx messages to change parameter values, nothing happens on screen.

Yes, same here.

Last edited:
The Axe-Fx will already show the parameter as you're changing it
It only shows the parameters as they're changing if you dive into the menus (or have the unit bring up the appropriate menu as you change the value), which to me defeats the point. If you just send SysEx messages to change parameter values, nothing happens on screen.

Great! Congratulations. I guess it will be very professionally looking and industrially solid!

I also managed to make a working prototype based on the midibox platform (like arduino but is fully dedicated to midi) I've got six encoders with gain, bass, mid, treb, pres and vol. More can easily be added once i find the sysex protocol of global reverb and fx mix. It can be daisy chained with my foot controller. So this is an option too if you're into diy.

And it works!

Pics:
View attachment 23730View attachment 23731View attachment 23732
Controlling my Axe FXii guitar processor with MBNG - MIDIbox NG - MIDIbox Forum

Yes, same here.

great job would love to know more about what you bought and used to put that together.

Thank you guys for the likes and the kind words!

I only slapped the thing together with great hard and software from midibox and the ideas on the forum here. It works like this:

Midibox (www.uCApps.de and MIDIbox Forum) is a non-commercial diy platform. It is comparable to arduino, but fully dedicated to midi applications. Great sequencers, controllers, SID synthesizers out there. The hardware is modular. You buy the pcbs you need from mbhp.avishowtech.com-Home (in oklahoma), get your parts from any electronics store and solder the lot together. You download a firmware and upload it to the processor board. That has 2x midi in/ out and usb. You will need a certain level of experience with electronics and soldering, but you don't need to be an accomplished electronics engineer.

So I bought the core LPC17 module, a DIO matrix module (DIN would also work), an SD card adapter from chinabay plus a sdcard, a bunch of rotary encoders and a nice plastic case. Soldering guides are on ucapps.de. The firmware is midibox NG, a scalable platform for any kind of midi controller you can imagine. In this case six or more rotary encoders, the LCD is not really necessary, but was in there already.

Then find out what midi messages should be sent to control the Axe FX parameters. There is some documentation on the wiki, but I found that Axe Edit does things differently - easier for an amp style controller. Once you have the sysex messages, you put them into a configuration file. Then the software will send out the proper sysexes when you turn the knobs. I configured the midibox to just forward incoming midi signals to the axe. So it works with a floorboard as well!

That's the basics, just pm me if you want more details.

BTW, I "spied" a little on the communication between Axe FX and Axe Edit. I hope FAS does not take this as reverse engineering or some other break of their ownership rights. If they don't like it, just tell me and I will take it down.

One question I have about using the SysEx method.... which right now is the only way to attack this...
If it operates like Axe Edit... then it likely has the potential to cause some of the artifacts that Axe-Edit causes. Namely, delays in scene switches, slight dropouts and occasional sound artifacts. Plus, when connected to Axe-Edit the is additional CPU usage. None of these things are really desirable, and in some cases they will be unacceptable. I would NEVER have AE connected in a live situation like a gig.

What would be great is if somehow Fractal could make more parameters controllable via modifier, and then we could simply use external modifiers to accomplish this.
I think I read a while back though that they were all out of cc#s though... that they had all been used. I'm wondering if they couldn't be user definable...
I mean... if an external controller could be set to control Bass, or Mid, or Treble, etc... that would make this whole idea MUCH easier... and cheaper.

if an external controller could be set to control Bass, or Mid, or Treble, etc... that would make this whole idea MUCH easier... and cheaper.

I originally thought I could slave the A, B, C, D knobs to Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble. It was a sad day when I realized I couldn't.

I originally thought I could slave the A, B, C, D knobs to Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble. It was a sad day when I realized I couldn't.
When you're in Recall mode, if you press the X button, the Value knob will be gain, and A/B/C/D will be Input Trim/Bass/Mid/Treble.

One question I have about using the SysEx method.... which right now is the only way to attack this...
If it operates like Axe Edit... then it likely has the potential to cause some of the artifacts that Axe-Edit causes. Namely, delays in scene switches, slight dropouts and occasional sound artifacts. Plus, when connected to Axe-Edit the is additional CPU usage. None of these things are really desirable, and in some cases they will be unacceptable. I would NEVER have AE connected in a live situation like a gig.

I will check tonight for glitches. But my device sends only one sysex command. Ae and axe talk a lot more. We ll see.

If they're out of cc's, the midi protocol allows so called non registered parameters (NRPN's). Shorter than sysex. Or use cc's and multiple midi channels, but that might complicate some things.

Maybe a future firmware update could open up a second MIDI channel. That would make lots more CCs available.

What would be great is if somehow Fractal could make more parameters controllable via modifier, and then we could simply use external modifiers to accomplish this.
I think I read a while back though that they were all out of cc#s though... that they had all been used. I'm wondering if they couldn't be user definable...
I mean... if an external controller could be set to control Bass, or Mid, or Treble, etc... that would make this whole idea MUCH easier... and cheaper.

Assign control modifiers to Bass, Middle, Treble, etc. ( for example to a Amp1 Block) also has its problems, because you should share the same settings between X and Y, unless it uses two Amp Blocks (but at the expense of the CPU).

Back
Top Bottom