1960TV Cab (Basketweave TV mix)

Hi guys,

since the 4x12 basketweave TV mix cab is my favorite in the axe-fx, I'm looking to buy one.
The axe-fx wiki says it's an early 70's cab, yet the Marshall 1960TV is apparently "a reissue of something that never existed".
Anyone know which cab the basketweave TV mix really is, or which speakers it has ?

"4x12 BASKETWEAVE TV MIX — Eearly 70s Marshall 1960 TV angled tall cabinet with four 12" speakers. This is a favorite of many Axe-Fx users."

thanks !

The new TV cab is also really good. It's brighter maybe. It has G12M25 Greenbacks in it. Those Marshall cabs from the 70s had different speakers changing almost on a yearly basis.

Take a look (listen) to Scumback Speakers. When I went looking for the aged Celestion sound, they hooked me up. They can do the aged speaker sound and the cabinet as well.

boogie

I've tried Scumbacks and real Pre-Rolas. I like how both of them sound but I don't think they're similar sounding. Scumbacks were simply brighter like most new speakers are. But like I said they both sound really good.

I had a reissue TV cab and a Bray modded reissue Plexi.

Mikko is right. The reissue stock speakers are very bright. It's okay though you just have to dial in your amp appropriately. Low to mid volume on a Plexi with this cab will ice pick your face off! Even with my tone controls on my Les Paul completely off! lol

You need to get the Plexi volume up high enough to disengage the bright cap. On a 100 watt Plexi that is tremendously loud. But oh so satisfying :)

https://marshallamps.com/products/cabinets/1960tv-2/

Some people do a X pattern with darker speakers so you get a bright and dark speaker at the top and bottom of the 4x12. I never really messed with it. I used an attenuator and/or my modded head had a master volume added by Bray on the back.

The extra cabinet volume of the TV give it more balls. You can immediately hear it when you A/B with a conventional 4x12. I loved the legacy look too. I'm old school that way.

Barhrecords,

That's strange, I found the TV mix cab in the axe to be very balanced sounding, more dark than bright sounding.

I took the plunge on one, a very good deal came up. Will be here next week...

Barhrecords,

That's strange, I found the TV mix cab in the axe to be very balanced sounding, more dark than bright sounding.

I'm sure you'll like it. Those cabs make sure that you're being heard! :)

Barhrecords,

I wanted to point out one technicality because I think it's important here. (My apologies if I'm misreading your posts and you're already aware of these details.)
The cabinet itself is the 1960TV, and the "mix" part refers to a mix of microphones used to capture the impulse response. The "Basketweave TV Mix" IR is modeling that cabinet being recorded with a specific set of microphones in specific physical locations (and in a specific room, etc.).

The recorded tone from a microphone on a single physical cabinet can vary widely (dark, muddy, nasally, honky, bright, fizzy, etc.) depending on the microphone used and its physical location relative to the speaker. This can be very different from the sound that we hear when jamming "in the room." The Basketweave TV Mix is considered a "golden" IR around here because all of the variables in the recording setup worked out to provide a great blend of low end, midrange, and high end, with little apparent "phasiness," and it works well with a wide range of amp models.

I guess what I'm trying to emphasize is that while an IR captures some of the "character" of a cabinet, a significant part of the "darkness" or "brightness" of the recorded tone is due to the recording setup and not necessarily due to the the cabinet itself. This could explain why others mentioned that the actual 1960TV cab can be pretty bright, while you mentioned that the IR sounds more balanced.

I see that you found a good deal and purchased one; I hope it works out for you!

i have the Marshall Jimi Hendrix Super100JH and i can tell you after trying the new reissue TV cab that marshall is doing, that its total crap compared to the genuine reissue i have with the genuine reissue C version green backs. The modern recent release tall TV cab sounds quite a bit different for some reason, and not in a good way. In saying that, it doesn't mean is a BAD, it just means it doesn't have the real mcoy quirks and tonal X factor as the old ones or the Jimi Hendrix reissue which has the C version green backs, which is simply incredible and you cant buy those speakers. Check out this clean tone i done on my hendrix stack "with a genuine vintage univibe and John Mayer Strat plus a 1970 original crybaby later in the demo". Hear the bass response, its unique and simply beautiful. p.s. the amp in the front is not plugged in, its a 1964 VibroVerb 1 x 15inch speaker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reYu7LQHKtc

Last edited:
hahahahahaha thats friggin metal style clip, lol, metal can be adjusted to sound ok with nearly any cab on the planet with a few dozens turns of some dials. We are talking about authentic TV cab tone, and thats virtually impossible to gain from models or cheaper style reissue cabs with the wrong speakers per sei. There "is" an x factor that still needs to be captured in the axe fx for some of these cabs, even though im loving whats there already. Its elusive but im sure fractal will find it at some point. :mrgreen

hahahahahaha thats friggin metal style clip, lol, metal can be adjusted to sound ok with nearly any cab on the planet with a few dozens turns of some dials. We are talking about authentic TV cab tone, and thats virtually impossible to gain from models or cheaper style reissue cabs with the wrong speakers per sei. There "is" an x factor that still needs to be captured in the axe fx for some of these cabs, even though im loving whats there already. Its elusive but im sure fractal will find it at some point. :mrgreen

Let's ask Tyler Grund: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19579590/texas_plexi_2.19.15.mp3

No offence but that's a stereotype I run in to very often. Metal guys say that it doesn't matter what cab you use for clean stuff. Likewise clean country players think all metal sounds are the same. In the middle we have the crunch guys doing the same thing. Honestly with a lot of post processing you can rescue some awful guitar tones but you don't get them sounding that good. Same goes for clean and crunchy guitars also.

But don't get me wrong. I prefer the real Greenbacks as well. ;)

oh yes i agree. Its a silly personal thing that people come across who haven't got experience with mics and cabs and playing, and playing styles to see the differences over time with all the gear, etc etc. I have picked a random cab out of the cab lists on my Axe FX 2 XL+ and it was more for country, yet its my favorite metal cabinet now. haha, so its all random as anything. Thats a cool thing about the Axe FX, it allows for stereotypes to be put to rest as we all play with all the gear we ever dreamed of right here in our bedroom. a great era for guitar playing. Still, its bloody nice FEELING the 8 X C version green backs moving thy organs on occasion. Check out this made up on the spot jam i did when i heard Jim Marshall had died that very morning. My own respect for the father of loud. I used The JD Screamer Overdrive as main drive and vintage 1970 wah and vintage Boss octaver. Hope ya like. rock on! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ4SZMTv5ww p.s. its a john Mayer Strat with those Big Dipper pickups

i have the Marshall Jimi Hendrix Super100JH and i can tell you after trying the new reissue TV cab that marshall is doing, that its total crap compared to the genuine reissue i have with the genuine reissue C version green backs. The modern recent release tall TV cab sounds quite a bit different for some reason, and not in a good way. In saying that, it doesn't mean is a BAD, it just means it doesn't have the real mcoy quirks and tonal X factor as the old ones or the Jimi Hendrix reissue which has the C version green backs, which is simply incredible and you cant buy those speakers. Check out this clean tone i done on my hendrix stack "with a genuine vintage univibe and John Mayer Strat plus a 1970 original crybaby later in the demo". Hear the bass response, its unique and simply beautiful. p.s. the amp in the front is not plugged in, its a 1964 VibroVerb 1 x 15inch speaker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reYu7LQHKtc

Which cab do you mean by "modern recent release"?
The 1960TV cab started production in the early 90's.

"4x12 BASKETWEAVE TV MIX — Eearly 70s Marshall 1960 TV angled tall cabinet with four 12" speakers.

Marshall did make, around the 1970 timeframe (maybe a few years later), some 'oversize' slant 4x12s. They looked like somewhat cut-down 8x10s; there were some pictures of them in early versions of Aspen Pittman's books. But they weren't model 1960s, nor were they called 'TV'.

The 'TV' is, as mention above, a 1990s concoction. The very earliest straight cabs weren't 'square' - they were taller than they were wide - and AFAICT the TV is an attempt to mimic that, but applied to a slant. The only post-'60s tall straight cabs I know of were those from the JH limited reissue stacks from...maybe ten years ago?

The TV is a 1960AX cab with a few extra inches of height and Bluesbreaker RI cloth. Nice cab, but not a reissue of anything in particular.

Marshall did make, around the 1970 timeframe (maybe a few years later), some 'oversize' slant 4x12s. They looked like somewhat cut-down 8x10s;

Do you mean something like this, we shoot IRs from some weeks ago - beside others?

public.php

This is a 4x12" "oversized" "2069" cabinet from the Artiste Series, loaded with G12H30 from 1971...

public.php

this is a "1990" 80Watt Lead 8x10" from 1968, loaded with T7442 10W Alnico`s....

And man, those are vintage and sounds amazing! :)

No, there are some slant 4x12s that are extra-tall. I know "Edition 4.1" of Aspen's book has a photo of one. It looks just like an 8x10, only not quite so tall.

Take a look (listen) to Scumback Speakers. When I went looking for the aged Celestion sound, they hooked me up. They can do the aged speaker sound and the cabinet as well.

boogie

+1 on Jim Seavall and Scumback speakers for the pre-Rola greenback tone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom