18.07 seems to have quite a bit more bass and gain?

Lkdog

Power User
I have been loading new FW as they are updated with the bug fixes, etc.
Use the stock patches since FW 18 presets came out.
Mostly use PAF level humbuckers, but one of them splits.

Seems that the voicing of amps overall is moving toward more bass, gain, and muddier.
The unit had been gaining greater clarity over time(The Fenders all were too bassy with humbuckers for months without tweaking).

Seems to be going back that direction again.
Just an observation, but the user presets are now not very usable again and they had been sounding great out of box by and large.

Since "The UltraRes bug effectively turned off the low-freq enhancement portion of the processing." it's kinda logical (for UR presets)... (and I have this experience too).

Unless since v16.03 Cliff did a whole lot of programming to compensate this error he wasn't aware of, it should be an easy fix.

We can't expect them to redo all the presets. Leave that for v19 ;)

No, it's not just you. It is really obvious in the first three factory presets (59 Bassguy, 65 Bassguy and Brownface), doesn't matter if you use humbuckers or singlecoils.

It's been my experience that when you plug a P90/humbucker guitar into a Fender amp, you typically have to turn something down to avoid the mud - guitar's volume knob, bass on the amp, etc. The same can sometimes be true with single coils, depending on the type. I used to play through a friend's Hot Rod Deluxe and I could never just play through it with the controls set at their mid way positions. Always had to tweak something. Pretty much SOP with most amps in my experience.

It's been my experience that when you plug a P90/humbucker guitar into a Fender amp, you typically have to turn something down to avoid the mud - guitar's volume knob, bass on the amp, etc. The same can sometimes be true with single coils, depending on the type. I used to play through a friend's Hot Rod Deluxe and I could never just play through it with the controls set at their mid way positions. Always had to tweak something. Pretty much SOP with most amps in my experience.

I used to use cut and reduce bass on a lot of fenders and others, then the firmwares were much clearer recently and I didn't need to do so as recently as fw18 prior to this one.
Stock presets were awesome out of box.

I guess will just go back to tweaking them again.
Thx.

I just tested the JM45 JMP and the 1953SLP Nrml/Tbl/Jmp and I found them very bassy, comparing to the tone I was used to with previous FWs.
To get rid of that, for these amp:
bass 2, Mid 7, Tbl 8 presence 6-8, quiet close to what Cliff said about the PLexi -like amp in a thread.

What do you think ?

PS: Otherwise other amps no pb and FW18.07 is great I found, as previous FW !

Remember that the Bass Mid and Treb knobs on amps aren't "off" at 12:00 (straight up) and you don't simply "add or reduce" a frequency like a PA mixer. Some amps - real or modeled - create a ton of bass and you use the Bass knob to reduce it to "normal" levels. If turning it down to 1.00 makes it work, then do that. Don't worry that it's low.

I think way too many people get hung up on how their setting is compared to anyone else's. It really doesn't matter how someone else sets their knobs. Use your ears, turn the knobs to make it sound like how you want and you're done! If a firmware update creates more bass, turn it down more. There is a graphic EQ in the amp block as well for adjusting the EQ further.

I used to use cut and reduce bass on a lot of fenders and others, then the firmwares were much clearer recently and I didn't need to do so as recently as fw18 prior to this one.
Stock presets were awesome out of box.

I guess will just go back to tweaking them again.
Thx.

The firmware prior to this one is identical except for the UltraRes bug that was fixed. Your statement is illogical.

Remember that the Bass Mid and Treb knobs on amps aren't "off" at 12:00 (straight up) and you don't simply "add or reduce" a frequency like a PA mixer. Some amps - real or modeled - create a ton of bass and you use the Bass knob to reduce it to "normal" levels. If turning it down to 1.00 makes it work, then do that. Don't worry that it's low.

I think way too many people get hung up on how their setting is compared to anyone else's. It really doesn't matter how someone else sets their knobs. Use your ears, turn the knobs to make it sound like how you want and you're done! If a firmware update creates more bass, turn it down more. There is a graphic EQ in the amp block as well for adjusting the EQ further.

I get that and no problem doing so.
I guess as somebody who uses stock presets as a starting point after each new FW update, I was surprised to hear the significant change and all least for me most all of them now need work to sound decent.

I just didn't know if others had noticed the change.

18.07 sounds amazing here with the factory presets. Best firmware I've ever made. You should go back to 18.04 if you like that one better.

I disagree. You should sell your unit and buy a Boss GT-Pro if you don't think 18.07 is the best thing ever by Cliff. Then have your brain donated to science. You might have received too many concussions in the NFL.

It isn't even close. Not by 1000 miles.

I am going to use my re-amp tracks to do all the tracks over again with 18.07 that I recorded with 17 and 18 leading up to 18.07.

Yes, it's NIGHT AND DAY - waaaaaaaayyyy waaaaayyyyyy better.

Very well said. You know this stuff is an easy fix and no disrespect to the OP but it really is just a simple fix to adjust the bass or mids whatever to get the sound you like. People worrie too much over the little simple things that can be fixed in five seconds. If you have a crazy phase bug or something like that come post.

If you think a firmware is too bass heavy just lower the bass easy. I have to think Cliff wants to just shoot us when we think a firmware changed the tone and nothing in fact has changed. And really I don't mean to be a douche or anything but it just seems like every firmware we see these type of posts saying things have changed when in fact they have not. Turn down the bass and just rock on buddy!

Back
Top Bottom