12v AC into MFC-101

aircadet

Inspired
Hi,
Would it be ok to use a 12v AC supply until the 9v comes from G66? I’ve been using 12v AC on my All Access without any problems.
Thanks, Paul

dalla-gas-explosion-0,,5583350,00.jpg

You can SOMETIMES get away with that because a particular unit may have a range of voltage it will operate in or it just will tolerate a higher voltage.

HOWEVER, if you do and what happens looks like Guitardojo's picture...you're screwed.

I'll add the opposite voice: if there's a fuse in the MFC like there is in the All Access then try it. Worst case you'll blow the fuse. I suspect it'll work just fine since the power section is taking in the AC, rectifying it and then presenting it as stable DC of different values to different portions of the circuit. No doubt the rectification section is built well, overspec'ed, and can handle a little higher AC peak.

Of course the operative word here is "IF" there's a fuse in the MFC...nothing like playing Russian Roulette with a $750 pedal.

wezx said:
Of course the operative word here is "IF" there's a fuse in the MFC...nothing like playing Russian Roulette with a $750 pedal.
Open it up and find out.

I'll also point out that you were more than happy to play roulette with a $1000 All Access. ;)

I'll also point out that you were more than happy to play roulette with a $1000 All Access. ;)

This is a good point...LOL

I don't play Russian Roulette with ANYTHING! :lol:

Don't do it.
By the way, it is high current, not voltage, that blows fuses therefore a fuse will not give you the protection you're seeking with your rather expensive experiment.

In Australia we can buy all of the garden variety power supplies from electronics stores - certainly the one you're after should be easy to source.
Richard.

conspire said:
Don't do it.
By the way, it is high current, not voltage, that blows fuses therefore a fuse will not give you the protection you're seeking with your rather expensive experiment.
And thankfully I = V/R -- it's all related. Increase voltage, increase current. Increase current, fuse blows.

Under it all the pedal operates on DC. And at that some very specific DC for the processor and display is required -- their derived power is well regulated and can handle the fluctuation. The LEDs can take some fluctuation. So there's a rectifier and from there some capacitors to take the ripple off the rectified wave and make it sort of DC. And then those feed voltage regulators which are set up to deliver constant voltage (2.5V, 3.3V, 5V depending on what the processor's operating needs are) and can handle a wide range of input voltage -- certainly wider than the fairly minuscule difference between a rectified and well de-ripple 9VAC and 12VAC signal. Depending on how it's rectified you could turn 9VAC in to 18VDC, so 12VAC -> 24VDC. Like I said: should be within the operating specs and if everything is running so close to their limits already the fuse should blow if it's properly spec'ed.

Of course, it's not my pedal so I get to be cavalier about it. :)

I would have thought that, if the impedance stays the same, increasing the voltage could actually result in a lower current...
Richard

I asked someone "electrical" that I work with about my All Access & some pedals a while ago & he said they're designed to cope with more voltages, mind you he's a drummer :? Never had a problem with the All Access using 12v in about 3 years. Like people say though it's not worth taking a risk on my brand new MFC-101 :oops:
I was hopping someone from Fractal would confirm one way or other, not to worry I'll wait till it arrives. I've got another for something else I can use in the house.
Thanks for help all.
Paul

Don't do it - even if it has a fuse (which I doubt), your electronics can fry much faster than a fuse can react.

Fuses are ok for things that are designed to withstand operation beyond specs for a brief time, such as tube amps and guitar speakers. No good for solid state gear; that's why they need electronic protection. The MFC can no doubt withstand some over-voltage, but only to a point.

Another thing to consider: most unregulated & AC power adapters put out more than their rated voltage if they're operating at lower than their rated current.

How about trying another 9v DC power supply such as the 1 Spot 9v DC adapter? I believe pretty common to find and works in multiple input voltages so can be taken with when traveling (my Fractal PS delivered in US is 110v only).

Not that I'd try it either.. but from my "wireless midi" thread Cliff said this fwiw (in reference to the idea of battery powering the MFC)

FractalAudio said:
The MFC can actually be run on DC (the supply section is a switching converter). Power consumption is actually pretty good. With all LEDs on the consumption should be less than 500 mA.

If you were to use NiMH you would need 8-10 cells (9.6V - 12V). For any decent amount of capacity that would be a big pack.

If you don't mind the expense you could use a single LiPo battery pack. For about $70 you can get a 3000 mAH, 3S pack (approx 12V). That would last around 6-10 hours. You would need a special charger.

conspire said:
I would have thought that, if the impedance stays the same, increasing the voltage could actually result in a lower current...
That's incorrect. Ohm's law say: V = IR. So if R is constant and V goes up then I has to go up for the left side to equal the right side.

Ac voltage is alot different than dc voltage

A unit using ac voltage nomarally uses a rectifier to turn the ac to dc .
A unit requring dc voltage most likey steps the voltage up or down.

At one time you could buy a 9vdc power supply from radio shack

Please educate someone new here. Why is this even a question does the controller come with its own power supply? If so this question should not even come up. Second I see a lot of discussion about the 7 pin cable again does the controller come with one? Seems like standard stuff that would come with the controller. If not Fractal should list the sources for these required components.

Back
Top Bottom