12.08 Reverb "Economy" Mode and CPU

ethomas1013

Fractal Fanatic
So, how much CPU does Economy Mode save vs Normal? I sold my AxeIII and am using the FM3. Looking forward to this trickling down to the FM3 because the reverb is a CPU hog.

One thing I thought of recently for saving CPU on the FM3 is this. My AXE3 presets all use stereo cabs pretty close to the end of the chain. I moved the cab block right after the amp block and made it mono. This saved me a little bit of CPU as well. I did this on the AXE3. I have yet to try on the FM3 as it is being shipped back from Fractal and should be here tomorrow.

3-4% on the AxeIII may only translate to 2% on the FM3. But lowering Echo Density helps too. Every little bit helps!
I typically use the spring reverb for live patches. Those sound good and are plenty for live use. I just use them to give space to the sound. Not for ethereal type sounds.

One thing I thought of recently for saving CPU on the FM3 is this. My AXE3 presets all use stereo cabs pretty close to the end of the chain. I moved the cab block right after the amp block and made it mono. This saved me a little bit of CPU as well. I did this on the AXE3. I have yet to try on the FM3 as it is being shipped back from Fractal and should be here tomorrow.
On the fm3 probably being mono or stereo doesn't make a difference since the cab runs on its own processor.
IIRC this is confirmed on the CPU usage chart chris posted a while ago.

On the fm3 probably being mono or stereo doesn't make a difference since the cab runs on its own processor.
IIRC this is confirmed on the CPU usage chart chris posted a while ago.
So much for that then.

Duh, I guess it would be the other way around!

6-8% cpu savings would be huge. Of course some won’t like the change in quality but my view is that in a live setting it will be just fine.

I bet no one would know there was any difference if Cliff didn’t say it changed....

i think anything people hear is all in their head because they see it says economy etc.....

It’s like $5 wine tasting better in a $500 bottle and vice verse

You really dont need reverb for live performance anyway. Unless you use as a specific effect such as for surf music, etc. Like I said before I just like the space that it adds when rehearsing. I am just lazy and dont want to program separate presets for live and rehearsal.

I agree, 6-8% would be significant. And I'm pretty sure no one will be able to tell in a live environment.

You really dont need reverb for live performance anyway. Unless you use as a specific effect such as for surf music, etc. Like I said before I just like the space that it adds when rehearsing. I am just lazy and dont want to program separate presets for live and rehearsal.

I use a ton of reverb (and delay) for worship gig. 😉

unless it’s an ambient effect, I messing around with turning my reverb down or off - at church. I get a TON of natural reverb in the room. But that doesn’t translate to Facebook Live, so I’m experimenting how to make it sound good for both

unless it’s an ambient effect, I messing around with turning my reverb down or off - at church. I get a TON of natural reverb in the room. But that doesn’t translate to Facebook Live, so I’m experimenting how to make it sound good for both

Have a dry sound sent to the front-of-house speakers and a wet signal sent to the recording. I'm going to make an assumption that your sound man has ONE extra channel in the board that you can use to do this. In your preset, have one output without reverb and another with reverb... voila... best of both worlds, no extra gear.

you must have a really live room, i could never rely on the room for the type of verb effects i need, especially once you get a few thousand people in there and all the ambient noise they bring. I most concerned with what is coming out of FOH that what I hear bouncing around in sound check.

Back
Top Bottom