Bug? 11b bug or MFC problem?

Mark Cullen

Inspired
Not sure if this is a Axe-Fx Firmware bug or my MFC unit has a physical malfunction...

The 4th IA Switch in the middle row is not working for me since I updated to Firmware 11beta.
The light functions in both red and green on the start-up sequence and when I select a patch that uses that switch (which I have assigned to MTD 1)

I took the cover off and switched the cables for the bottom row and the middle row and tried to switch the fourth switch on the bottom row - same result. The switch does not take effect and toggle. This tells me the physical switch is fine and the cable is fine.
I then switched the cable for middle row and top row, trying the fourth switch on the top row and got the same result.

Is it possible that this is caused by the Firmware, or is there an issue in the main circuit board in the MFC?

Edit: OK - have ruled out Firmware as cause. See further down page...

Last edited:
If I read this correctly, it sounds like the middle cable is the problem. The switch on the middle row did not work so you switched the middle and bottom cables and then the switch on the bottom row didn’t work. Then you switched the middle and top row cables and then the switch on the top row didn't work. Is this correct? If so, it sounds like the middle cable is the problem.

I had the exact same switch malfunctioning (I thought), even after a new one was soldered in. It turned out to be the cable (they said).

On my MFC, I have Drive 1 assigned to IA 11.
I tried assigning Drive 1 to the problem switch - IA 9 as well (in the midi menu of the MFC)

Result: Switching Drive 1 from IA 11 resulted in the drive block toggling on/off and the lights of both IA 11 and IA 9 toggling green/red.
Pushing the IA 9 switch did not toggle the block on the Axe, nor the lights on the MFC

If I read this correctly, it sounds like the middle cable is the problem. The switch on the middle row did not work so you switched the middle and bottom cables and then the switch on the bottom row didn’t work. Then you switched the middle and top row cables and then the switch on the top row didn't work. Is this correct? If so, it sounds like the middle cable is the problem.

Hi Rich,

I'm sorry I should have worded it more clearly.
I unplugged (from the main/master board) the cable for the middle row and bottom rows, then plugged the cable for the bottom row in the socket for the middle row. Middle row cable is now not connected, but I got the same behavior from the fourth switch on the bottom row.

If you re-install your previous firmware does it work again? That should determine whether it's the firmware or the MFC board, etc.

You may want to make sure that your system settings between FW versions are the same too. Just to be sure that the firmware upgrade didn't change something that might cause a problem. I'm thinking like your Input/Output parameters - MIDI and/or Control parameters. You could also try resetting FW 11 System settings to see if that makes a difference. If you make a lot of changes to your settings, you can back your System settings up before hand in the Utility menu if you want to try that. That way you can restore them afterward if there's no difference so you don't have to manually change them again.

OK, just went back to FW 10.11 which is what I was on before. (I backed up everything with FractalBot first!)

All the presets are now blank :shock
But I had backed up that too so I loaded a preset and tested. The problem is still there so it is NOT the Firmware.

Hmmm.... what do I try next?

One last thought. You could try re-installing the MFC firmware or re-setting it. Make sure you also back that up before hand if you decide to do it.

Can you check and make sure the IA mapped to that switch is actually mapped to something in the Axe-Fx?

Can you check and make sure the IA mapped to that switch is actually mapped to something in the Axe-Fx?

Hi Ian,

Not sure what you mean... How/where would I check that?
In the MFC, IA 9 is assigned to Multidelay 1
In the AxeFx under I/O / CTRL Multidelay 1 is 69

It was all working fine a few days ago, then suddenly stopped working properly.

OK, so after factory default reset, I restored the backup that I just did.

Now I am getting AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT!

I re-booted AxeFx and MFC. No joy. Restored the backup again. No joy.

This is frustrating!

Back
Top Bottom