10 UltraRes CAB IRs converted to Axe-Fx Standard/Ultra

Is there a loss of quality of the IR when it's converted from UltraRes to the standard/ultra format?

I'm trying to wrap my mind around what happens when the conversion takes place. Is it like taking a high quality photo (ultrares) then converting it to a smaller, lower quality, file (standard/ultra format) which ultimately lowers resolution and 'pixalizes' the photo?

Is there a loss of quality of the IR when it's converted from UltraRes to the standard/ultra format?

I'm trying to wrap my mind around what happens when the conversion takes place. Is it like taking a high quality photo (ultrares) then converting it to a smaller, lower quality, file (standard/ultra format) which ultimately lowers resolution and 'pixalizes' the photo?

I don't know, but I guess that's right.

I don't know, but I guess that's right.

A way to test it is to use an AFX II and compare the UltraRes IR with the converted IR. :)

It's really just a matter of curiosity. I heard a Clark Kent UltraRes vs. regular IR comparison and it was extremely evident which one was which - but I don't think the regular IR was converted down, I think it was a different IR altogether.

A way to test it is to use an AFX II and compare the UltraRes IR with the converted IR. :)

It's really just a matter of curiosity. I heard a Clark Kent UltraRes vs. regular IR comparison and it was extremely evident which one was which - but I don't think the regular IR was converted down, I think it was a different IR altogether.

If you mean 'can you hear it?'. Of course, it's like you stated in your example. After all if UltraRes wasn't superior, then there couldn't be a need to create it.

If you mean 'can you hear it?'. Of course, it's like you stated in your example. After all if UltraRes wasn't superior, then there couldn't be a need to create it.

I figured as much. I just haven't heard if there was an 'apples to apples' comparison where you're listening to the ultrares vs. the file converted from ultrares. Most of the stuff i've heard is simply ultrares vs. some other regular IR that's modeling the same cab, but maybe not the same mic or mic location, etc. etc..

Probably don't need to listen to a comparison to know that there's a difference, like you said :)

By the way do you guys feel like IR resolution stays the same when you do this?

haha - that's my question!

I'm going to try to track down all of the IR's and maybe presets posted on the forums for ultras/standards (especially yours Clark as they seem to be the best - I just spent the past hour listening to your soundcloud) and post them in one location so they can be more easily accessed. I want to do that for myself anyway, so may as well make it easier for everyone else too.

Voes, you are a mad genius. I just dusted off my Standard last night and was having a lot of fun playing through it. The things I have learned since I last used it, and how my ear has developed over the last couple years, I was sure I could get better tones out of it now than I did when I was using it regularly. But the thing I was missing was my IR. And you converted it!

I actually forgot how to even get the cabs into my Standard, lol. I got out my old laptop and loaded up a legacy version of Axe Edit. I think I'm in business.

Thanks!

does any one know if there is a converter like jojos that you can take xl ir and convert to wave to convert to the ultra? I no that the xl ur ir will not make the ultra sound like the xl but I have many ir from fas and oh that I have mixed in cab lab and would love to convert to ultra but the method mentioned in this post does not work for me and I assume the problem is the xl. or is there a mixer for fas oh ir that I can mix them for the ultra? the oh irs work fine in the ultra but would love to mix some similar to ones I have made for the xl.

also can someone explain this...

row1 ..... -> CAB --
row2 SYNTH .........- -> TONEMATCH
row3 ......-> SHUNT -
row4

please help

I believe that is a simple chart of the blocks used to tone match a low res ir to try and convert to high res. I think!?

Back
Top Bottom