1/4" TRS Interface For Rack - Wireless to Front of Axe FX

oddb0d

Inspired
I remember there was discussion on the old forum about the front jack being the best for guitar unless you are using line level outs then you use the back. I don't remember what the consensus was on the X2 XDR95 Wireless output, I am guessing it sounds better plugged into the front. I need to double check that. I was curious if someone had a 1/2 rack solution for plugging the X2 into the back of the interface and then having a jack on the front that I can use to place a short jumper cable from the interface to the front of the Axe FX. I know I've seen someone's rack have this, I just don't remember who.... I am guessing Stilwel has it.

I would want to place this on the same 1U space as the PSM600 IEM. Anyone have ideas or suggestions for the interface? I know I could just leave a hole and run the cable through, but I'm obsessed with a clean rack...

I am guessing it sounds better plugged into the front.

The output is like that of a cable. If you have enough rack space, just leave a little space between 2 units and use a patch cable .

Re: 1/4 Interface For Rack - Wireless to Front of Axe FX

Just got the X² XDR95 unit and I am itching to set it up.

I will probably hook up through the back;

stilwel said:
redbaron_ict said:
Cool rig Stilwel

I think I 'll drill and install a 1/4' plug on my wireless rack mount and just hook the wireless to the front.

I don't use any pedals in front of the Axe-FX, so I will just use it's buffered in put on the front. It'll look old school, but that's ok! ;-)
Is your wireless output on the back of the unit?

Why not just connect the wireless (which is a buffered line level output) to the rear panel input on the Axe-Fx??

Thanks for the shout-out Peter. :D

FractalAudio said:
The rear input is a buffered line-level input designed for use with line-level devices (i.e. preamp, mixer, etc.).

The front input is designed specifically for use with an electric guitar (or bass) and has additional gain and conditioning. You must set the I/O config Input Source to match the input you're using.

You can use the rear input with a guitar but you might not get enough gain.

CC

FractalAudio said:
The front panel input has additional processing but the reciprocal of that is then done in software so the net result is that the only difference is that it has more gain.

CC

-FROM THE WIKI -
Which is more transparent the Front or Rear inputs?Neither input is more "transparent" than the other. The front input is optimized for the signal level of an electric guitar. The rear inputs are line-level and work best with line-level equipment.

The front input also has hardware processing to lower the perceived noise floor. This processing requires additional software processing. By switching the input selector to rear you defeat the software processing and distort the frequency response, greatly.

Usually the front input will sound best with an instrument due to the greater gain and lower perceived noise floor. But you MUST match the input selector to the actual input you are using.

Will the Mono output settings automatically disable all enhancers and change all stereo effects so that I get a mono sign with no phase issues and other unwanted results?
No. Using the Mono L->R output selection ought to take care of most phase issues; however, the mono output settings will not change any other parameters. Stereo effects may still not transfer to mono as intended. As with everything, use your ears and test.

http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... _inputs.3F

Ok, so I've noticed I have to crank up the Input to about 4-5pm when using the rear input from my X2. Once I've done that there's not difference then, so I can stick with the back... Seems that some people are still skeptical judging by Java's comments and some of the interfaces I have seen.

GuitarDojo said:
Just got the X² XDR95 unit and I am itching to set it up.

I will probably hook up through the back;

stilwel said:
redbaron_ict said:
Cool rig Stilwel

I think I 'll drill and install a 1/4' plug on my wireless rack mount and just hook the wireless to the front.

I don't use any pedals in front of the Axe-FX, so I will just use it's buffered in put on the front. It'll look old school, but that's ok! ;-)
Is your wireless output on the back of the unit?

Why not just connect the wireless (which is a buffered line level output) to the rear panel input on the Axe-Fx??

Thanks for the shout-out Peter. :D

FractalAudio said:
The rear input is a buffered line-level input designed for use with line-level devices (i.e. preamp, mixer, etc.).

The front input is designed specifically for use with an electric guitar (or bass) and has additional gain and conditioning. You must set the I/O config Input Source to match the input you're using.

You can use the rear input with a guitar but you might not get enough gain.

CC

FractalAudio said:
The front panel input has additional processing but the reciprocal of that is then done in software so the net result is that the only difference is that it has more gain.

CC

-FROM THE WIKI -
Which is more transparent the Front or Rear inputs?Neither input is more "transparent" than the other. The front input is optimized for the signal level of an electric guitar. The rear inputs are line-level and work best with line-level equipment.

The front input also has hardware processing to lower the perceived noise floor. This processing requires additional software processing. By switching the input selector to rear you defeat the software processing and distort the frequency response, greatly.

Usually the front input will sound best with an instrument due to the greater gain and lower perceived noise floor. But you MUST match the input selector to the actual input you are using.

Will the Mono output settings automatically disable all enhancers and change all stereo effects so that I get a mono sign with no phase issues and other unwanted results?
No. Using the Mono L->R output selection ought to take care of most phase issues; however, the mono output settings will not change any other parameters. Stereo effects may still not transfer to mono as intended. As with everything, use your ears and test.

http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... _inputs.3F

The X2 is not like your standard wireless, the input levels whether I use the a cable or the wireless are exactly the same. The X2 acts like a cable.

oddb0d said:
Ok, so I've noticed I have to crank up the Input to about 4-5pm when using the rear input from my X2. Once I've done that there's not difference then, so I can stick with the back... Seems that some people are still skeptical judging by Java's comments and some of the interfaces I have seen.

no skepticism, I prefer the front because of the lower noise floor and I can put pedals in front when I want w/o issue. Either one will work fine as long as you can get enough gain. The output level of the X2 is the same as a cable though.

Ok, so back to my search for a 1/2 rack size interface that I can use... Wish Stilwel's Square 1 productions were still up and running....

javajunkie said:
The X2 is not like your standard wireless, the input levels whether I use the a cable or the wireless are exactly the same. The X2 acts like a cable.

Thanks J. What kind of cable are you using from the X² to your axe-fx (assuming you go direct to your axe-fx) I think you have a switchblade, correct?

I spent some money to have a EvidenceAudio Lyric HG made for the beltpack to guitar.... :ugeek:

GuitarDojo said:
javajunkie said:

Thanks J. What kind of cable are you using from the X² to your axe-fx (assuming you go direct to your axe-fx) I think you have a switchblade, correct?

I spent some money to have a EvidenceAudio Lyric HG made for the beltpack to guitar.... :ugeek:

Planet waves. I got on sale. I'm not a big spender on cables. Yes, I uses a switch blade for switching the eclipse before, after, or in the loop of the axe-fx.

javajunkie said:
Planet waves. I got on sale. I'm not a big spender on cables. Yes, I uses a switch blade for switching the eclipse before, after, or in the loop of the axe-fx.
:eek: You still havent dumped your Eclipse?

Is it 3.5? Anything grand in that latest firmware? I dumped mine at 3.1.

oddb0d said:
Actually I e-mailed him this morning asking about a 7 Pin Midi Cable...

Prolly cheaper to get it at MF. I use the Rocktron 7 PIN.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=331272
538745.jpg

yeah but that puppy is 30' way too long for me and I hate having coils and coils of cable..... I want a 15' cable, or maybe even 10'

oddb0d said:
yeah but that puppy is 30' way too long for me and I hate having coils and coils of cable..... I want a 15' cable, or maybe even 10'

Just get a hosa 7 pin midi cable from musiciansfriend. I've had one that has been abused and has worked great for years.

javajunkie said:
oddb0d said:

Just get a hosa 7 pin midi cable from musiciansfriend. I've had one that has been abused and has worked great for years.

Java, this is what I currently have : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=333039

The issue is that the Right Angle end doesn't work on the Midi Mate or the Axe FX. It will block the phantom power jack on the Axe FX or when plugged into the Midi Mate goes down instead of up so you end up with the cable pushing into the floor and raising up the Midi Mate. Such a pain.... Anyone found one without the R/A? I guess I could open up the Midi Mate and reverse the Midi Jack?

oddb0d said:
javajunkie said:
oddb0d said:

Java, this is what I currently have : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=333039

The issue is that the Right Angle end doesn't work on the Midi Mate or the Axe FX. It will block the phantom power jack on the Axe FX or when plugged into the Midi Mate goes down instead of up so you end up with the cable pushing into the floor and raising up the Midi Mate. Such a pain.... Anyone found one without the R/A? I guess I could open up the Midi Mate and reverse the Midi Jack?

Ahh, that would be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom