“Out Comp” (Output Compression)...mmmm

Its a leveling compressor like an LA2A

I like the new output comp, but it's faster than an LA2A to my ears. Not a bad thing though... the new output comp sounds great to my ears. A little goes a long way on this one for me.

Edit: javajunkie was in no way claiming the output comp was modeled after an LA2A !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I like the new output comp, but it's faster than an LA2A to my ears. Not a bad thing though... the new output comp sounds great to my ears. A little goes a long way on this one for me.

Edit: javajunkie was in no way claiming the output comp was modeled after an LA2A !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leveling compressors should be fast. so this is actually a good thing ;)

I'm finding it gives you a new flavor (tobasco?) to throw on your eggs. On cleans you can get that studio-compression type of tone that's usually put on at the board or on mixdown - that's what I was finding anyway. Would love to hear more about this feature though and how/if it differs from adding a post-amp compression block. Either way, it's nice to have it built-in to the amp block as an extra if you need it.

I'm finding it gives you a new flavor (tobasco?) to throw on your eggs. On cleans you can get that studio-compression type of tone that's usually put on at the board or on mixdown - that's what I was finding anyway. Would love to hear more about this feature though and how/if it differs from adding a post-amp compression block. Either way, it's nice to have it built-in to the amp block as an extra if you need it.

Between the variable Q filters and the output comp.... we are getting some very warm "desk" like tones!!!! loving this firmware.

And THIS (as quoted) is the key.

People that are not understanding this thing quoted above are missing a tremendous seismic shift in the overall paradigm here IMHO.

I recommend going through the factory v15 banks and finding presets with GEQ and changing them to VAR Q. This will let your ears hear what this does. With no other changes to the preset. This is not a subtle change here folks... GREAT stuff.

I LOVE the 'out comp' so far!

I always used a comp pedal before the amp in my pedalboard\tube amp rigs, and always put a comp block before the amp block in my Axe-Fx presets. Mainly for cleaner amp tones, (gainier stuff seems compressed enough already). Comp is completely mandatory for me, but it needs to be as transparent as possible. Trouble with most is they take too much away from the attack, so I'd go subtle. Squish it just enough so that the sweet spot rings out and blooms just a bit longer. Once you get used to that it's really hard to even play a clean amp missing that ingredient. Most amps are, in their natural state.

Anyway, this new amp block 'out comp' sounds perfect! I'm not missing the lack of parameters, it just does exactly what I want it to do without getting in the way. Just a touch does the trick and the attack is still natural. I think I can remove the comp block in my presets for the most part now.

Man, I really feel like the odd man out. I don't like eggs.
Compression, Front or Back, or Both? FAS; Thank you for the compression options, and the chance to learn what the difference sounds like.

I've been recording a bunch recently and have really enjoyed the new (amp) compression parameter. First, it brings up the perceived level a lot - meaning, the level will be the same (after some adjusting) on the VU meter, but it's level seems a lot louder and sits more evenly in mixes. As a result, less after-the-matter processing and general treatment and attention is needed. Second, BASS. This feature is a heaven-send for bass as it greatly tames the dynamic range and again makes mixing so much easier.

Thanks, Cliff. Brilliant idea!

FWIW, I like cubes of cream cheese mixed in with my eggs (however ordering eggs this way in restaurants is a crap-shoot and always involves a thorough explanation to the server) with some Tabasco, or better, Cholula. Never catsup though! YuK!

Back
Top Bottom