POLL: Humbuster Cable Length

If you are using, or would consider using Humbuster cables in your rig, which option would be best f

• 10m (32.8 ft)

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • 5m (16.4 ft)

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • 3m (9.9 ft)

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • 2m (6.6 ft.)

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • 1m (3.3 ft)

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
As you probably know, we sell Humbuster Cables in our store in 5m and 10m lengths.
We also partner with BTPA.com to offer custom length Humbuster cables.
Looking at sales trends, we are considering adding a shorter option to our store.

yea, I'd vote for 1m, but it won't let us actually vote. I'd vote that because I typically set my Axe 3 next to or on top of my amp using 4CM, and it'd minimize extra cable laying around.

I have a hunch that this might correlate to the Fractal device that people own. I use long cables with my FM9, but have often wished for a shorter option when using my Axe3.

Last edited:
I use HumBusters to connect my Fractal boxes to a mixer. I built them all to 20 feet for flexible placement, but for most of them, that’s wasted length. 10 feet (3M) or a bit shorter would be better.

I play a variety of stages, with the occasion larger venue or festival, and I need something super long that'll reach all the way to my backline.

Made my own 40-footer out of Belden 8412 a couple years ago. Zero complaints.

Reactions: Rex
Last time I bought cables was June of 2020 when I got my FM3 invite as I run mainly 4CM with a EVH 5150iii 6L6 50 watt.

I recall being frustrated that anything longer than 25 ft was hard to find at a reasonable price, granted... right in middle of Pandemic.

I wanted 50 ft. I still want 50 ft.

I don't know, pretty happy with the two lengths already purchased. The third time I needed some I made my own. Probably not very helpful. :)

Other: 2ft and whatever people with super long cable runs want I guess?

Are we better off running long balanced cable into a line level shifter at whatever unbalanced input point we're addressing?

Edit: Or just using re-amp boxes with balanced cable?

Last edited:
No, because afaik, that's not going to constitute the desired humbuster wiring.
Running a balanced cable from one of the balanced outputs to a line level shifter isn't attempting humbuster wiring. It's an alternative way of unbalancing a signal and buffering before (or after) a device.

Running a balanced cable from one of the balanced outputs to a line level shifter isn't attempting humbuster wiring. It's an alternative way of unbalancing a signal and buffering before (or after) a device.
k, sounded like that's what you were asking (not sure then, how the question is related to preferred humbuster cable length needs)

If the application were using an FM3 or 9 with an amp in 4CM I would use 10m cables.
If it was an Axe FX III racked with an amp they would be made to length. Probably 3m or so.

True. But you'll have to use the XLR outputs to do that. The 1/4" outputs aren't balanced, and you can't use HumBuster cables for it.

In a live rig 5-10 mts are most needed, when also humbuster technology give best results, compared with TS-TS cables.
In a studio equipment 1-2 mts, but humbuster technology is also less useful...

True. But you'll have to use the XLR outputs to do that. The 1/4" outputs aren't balanced, and you can't use HumBuster cables for it.
Right. Guys, it’s really a question about the maximum practical Humbuster cable length. Folks are asking for loooooong, and balanced works for runs much longer than 10 meters. Perhaps it’s already addressed in the wiki, I don’t know?

Have a great weekend all!

Back
Top Bottom