FM3 Firmware Version 8.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure that this is a bug it's probably just something unavoidable if I'm going to turn on gapless switching and then go and switch from a preset/scene with Amp block ON to one with Amp block OFF. I think it just is what it is and unavoidable but figured I'd mention it anyways...

I have a scene that I use from the Fractal Gift of Tone series from a couple years back from Fremen's preset, it's the acoustic sim scene. When you switch from any other preset or scene to that one scene in that preset (the scene without the Amp block) you get some pretty loud and terrible sounds for a moment while the switch is happening then it stabilizes. No big deal I'm just happy to have gapless and figure this is a case of come on don't be a dumbass dude you can't use it like THAT and not expect problems but figured why not mention it just in case it's something that can be got around somehow.

Last edited:
I will be interested to hear what you think 🤔
My impressions are it is much closer to that tube preamp feel and sound
Got to spend an hour or so with it. Yeah, I do think the low end feels more punchy and clearer than before. Plugging into a tube poweramp and 212 cabs, there was a point where I had a sound with the D60 model that was nearly indistinguishable from my Ultra Lead Synergy module.

I was looking forward to the Stealth, but also checked out the Recto 1, D60, JP IIC+, and JCM800, and they all sounded better than before. I wouldn't even use some of them before. I was surprised about that.

I still don't love it through the IRs into monitors though. I wish we had IR technology that didn't neuter the sound and feel compared to in the room, lol.

Not sure that this is a bug it's probably just something unavoidable if I'm going to turn on gapless switching and then go and switch from a preset/scene with cab block ON to one with cab block OFF. I think it just is what it is and unavoidable but figured I'd mention it anyways...

I have a scene that I use from the Fractal Gift of Tone series from a couple years back from Fremen's preset, it's the acoustic sim scene. When you switch from any other preset or scene to that one scene in that preset without the cab block you get some pretty loud and terrible sounds for a moment while the switch is happening then it stabilizes. No big deal I'm just happy to have gapless and figure this is a case of come on don't be a dumbass dude you can't use it like THAT and not expect problems but figured why not mention it just in case it's something that can be got around somehow.
I noticed when I was playing a preset on a scene with the dual delay, and switching to a preset without a delay, I would get a weird garbled noise while the preset switched.

Something I wonder if it can be done easily… Is there a way to A/B what a preset was yesterday with what it is now today without a huge fuss? I’m sure it sounds better but I’m curious about the differences. My tone memory is shit lol

Had the day off of work and spent a good portion with the update. Gotta say, it's amazing. I expected to gravitate towards the new AC30 (it is awesome and welcomed), but I blown away by the new Brown Eye and 2203. They sound incredible. And combined with the Sunrise Splendor...wow! And the Neon Tremelo might be my favorite trem right now!

Massive update, thanks FAS. Gapless switching is very welcome !
Oh My God Wow GIF by Rosanna Pansino

A question if I may, to all those out there who know more than me :rolleyes:

From the FW8.0b Release Notes:

1713229520856-png.138805

If I do the Upgrade All Presets in Setup -> Utilities on the FM3 itself, does this count as a hard reset? In other words, do I also need to do a soft reset to apply the new values?

Methinks no, but no harm in asking!

I also like the word "methinks" ... one doesn't get to use it much these days!

Got to spend an hour or so with it. Yeah, I do think the low end feels more punchy and clearer than before. Plugging into a tube poweramp and 212 cabs, there was a point where I had a sound with the D60 model that was nearly indistinguishable from my Ultra Lead Synergy module.

I was looking forward to the Stealth, but also checked out the Recto 1, D60, JP IIC+, and JCM800, and they all sounded better than before. I wouldn't even use some of them before. I was surprised about that.

I still don't love it through the IRs into monitors though. I wish we had IR technology that didn't neuter the sound and feel compared to in the room, lol.
What IR's and monitors are you using?
I run Output 2 of my FM3 into a Powerstage 200 into a 4x12 cab with two V30's and two G12T-75's which sounds fantastic but I also run into a pair of KALI Audio LP8 studio monitors using a couple of IR's I found that I really, really like and whereas it's different than my 4x12 cab I think it still sounds equally fantastic, different for sure but still great tone.

A question if I may, to all those out there who know more than me :rolleyes:

From the FW8.0b Release Notes:

1713229520856-png.138805

If I do the Upgrade All Presets in Setup -> Utilities on the FM3 itself, does this count as a hard reset? In other words, do I also need to do a soft reset to apply the new values?

Methinks no, but no harm in asking!

I also like the word "methinks" ... one doesn't get to use it much these days!
I asked basically the same thing earlier and didn't get a response but I think I found my answer...
At the time I posted my question I hadn't read through all the pages of comments in this thread (still haven't but working on it slowly in between playing and hanging out with my family) but I found this post:
I ran “upgrade all presets”, which pulled in the changes, then checked them for level changes and then maybe made minor adjustments to the tone controls.

I found that some of the amps sounded a little different. Cliff said that the new settings are based on different/better measurements so I attributed the difference to that; the amps are more accurate, so I wanted to recalibrate my expectations. I played using a couple different guitars and rolled their volumes to see how the amps reacted, and found some amps I’d kinda liked before that I really like now: The Bludojai Clean and Lead, and the FAS Express, are way up on my list now. I’ll give them more time and maybe change the cabs to Dyna-Cabs.
I was going to go back here in a few and edit my own post to reflect that and unless someone corrects me otherwise I'm going to assume the bit where Greg said "I ran upgrade all presets which pulled in all the changes..." is the answer we were looking for, that answer being if we did the upgrade all presets then we now have all new changes and available upgrades to the new firmware in effect and nothing else to do.
If you find out otherwise let me know but that's what I'm rolling with for now =)

What IR's and monitors are you using?
I run Output 2 of my FM3 into a Powerstage 200 into a 4x12 cab with two V30's and two G12T-75's which sounds fantastic but I also run into a pair of KALI Audio LP8 studio monitors using a couple of IR's I found that I really, really like and whereas it's different than my 4x12 cab I think it still sounds equally fantastic, different for sure but still great tone.
I kind of have a mess at the moment, but I have an ABY switch going into my FM3, and then my Synergy rack. The FM3 goes to a rack mixer on output 2, and a set of Kali LP6s and a JBL Sub on output 1. Basically, I can switch between all 3 situations, or use all 3 at the same time. I am running the tube stuff through a 4xKT88 poweramp that sounds pretty huge on its own. That goes into 2 oversized 212 cabs. I also have a Matrix GT1000FX, but I am not using it at the moment. I generally just pick some factory IRs that are based on 412 or 212 oversized cabs. I have considered buying some oversized Mesa cab IRs, if there is something that exists that can sound huge, and not like a recording.

I did notice this new 8.0 beta has a less stuffy sound in the mids, and I have to turn the presence up way more. That makes it sound less boxy overall. I found myself cutting out less mids than before. I have also always struggled with the fine line between mush and cocked wah, and I noticed this was better also. I look forward to spending some more time with this, using different guitars and tunings.

Thanks fro the update Fractal. Unfortunately, I'm getting squealing feedback through the FX Return/Send. Most of my presets are setup to go out to external drive pedals then back in. After updating, the unit was redlining with feedback. I tried some of the presets without the Out/In blocks and they were fine, but all of the ones utilising the FX return loop aren't ok. Hope this helps with the beta.
I use the FM3's FX Loop for everything (mostly a UA Stomp for cab/mics/room mics/reverb), and no problems here with FW8.x.

Last edited:
Sorry to ask if I missed it........is there a "2x12 USA C90 Open Back" cab either in Legacy or Dyna Cab? If so, I'm having trouble finding it. I noticed in the Release Notes that there is an
  • Added "2x12 USA C90 Open Back" speaker impedance curve.

Hi all !

This new FW and improvements are very enticing and am thinking about re-grabbing an Original Non-Turbo FM3.

Quick question:-

=> with the new FM3 Beta 8 FW running on an Original Non-Turbo model - if you engage the full pre-set to pre-set switching feature, is it known yet how much a CPU-Hit there is [ if any ? ] for engaging feature ?

Thanks,
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom