Development with the next firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think gappless works a bit similar to a global delay spillover. There's a little buffer of whatever sound the unit is currently making that when you swap scenes or presets instead of quickly crossfading to silence until the new sound is ready, it crossfades to the buffer with your last X ms playing to "continue" the last sound. Once the new sound is ready it crossfades into the new sound.

So the slience that used to make the gap is replaced with a loop or continuation or repeat of the sound your were just on instead.

The switch is fast enough that it isn't very obvious there was a repeat, and it's much less noticable than the short period of silence or gap that used to be there.
I have a feeling, it might be a bit more complex than that. Because it would be quite obvious if I switched from hi-gain to crystal clean if the sound turns to clean not immediately.

So my guess is, that it starts to enable things that it can enable, and adding the rest. The gap was afaik only because of the amp switch. So I guess, the amp turns to the correct sound gradually. And maybe it enables the most obvious things first, like Gain or something.

Or, maybe, it creates and holds a very low-quality simulation profile that sounds similar but doesn't provide all dynamics. Like a cheap guitar processor simulation. And, while switching, the unit just enables it first and then replaces it with a high-quality simulation. That would explain, why we need to re-save existing presets.

I have a feeling, it might be a bit more complex than that. Because it would be quite obvious if I switched from hi-gain to crystal clean if the sound turns to clean not immediately.

So my guess is, that it starts to enable things that it can enable, and adding the rest. The gap was afaik only because of the amp switch. So I guess, the amp turns to the correct sound gradually. And maybe it enables the most obvious things first, like Gain or something.

Or, maybe, it creates and holds a very low-quality simulation profile that sounds similar but doesn't provide all dynamics. Like a cheap guitar processor simulation. And, while switching, the unit just enables it first and then replaces it with a high-quality simulation. That would explain, why we need to re-save existing presets.
A gap in audio will much more obvious than "filling" those milliseconds with a buffer.

The gap was not only in the Amp block - and additionally the gapless applies to channels, scenes and presets...

There's almost certainly some sort of audio buffer plus a cross-fade happening

A gap in audio will much more obvious than "filling" those milliseconds with a buffer.

The gap was not only in the Amp block - and additionally the gapless applies to channels, scenes and presets...

I think so too. I just think it's not only that, what is happening.

Well all I know is, however it happens, it's certainly gonna take some sort of toll on the FM3's processor to the point where we'll have to maybe sacrifice some sort of other 'quality-of-life' feature that we've come to take for granted or use a lot of. 😬

my guess is they're delaying the output with some small time unit and when it senses the switch it starts streaming the new tone with no delay, discarding the old buffer. milliseconds might be too much for some ears. in hardware this happens way faster that what I'm used to.

The Release candidate for a public beta is going to the beta testers today for a final check.
Key And Peele Nfl GIF

Well all I know is, however it happens, it's certainly gonna take some sort of toll on the FM3's processor to the point where we'll have to maybe sacrifice some sort of other 'quality-of-life' feature that we've come to take for granted or use a lot of. 😬
I would guess 3-5%...

I already rebuilt my presets to save some cpu for this update 😂.

But yeah I can’t wait to read the « what???my presets don’t fit anymore, this update sucks » comments 😂

For my use case, it will be worth the extra CPU. With gapless switching, if needed, I can take 1 preset, and spread across 2 or more presets and instantly change between the two. Leon Todd did a cool video over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom