Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my JCM800 2203 the power amp (phase inverter, etc.) start to distort slightly above 1 on the Master which is loud in the room, that's with modern (consistent) Alpha Log potentiometers.
Master at 1 is my starting point on all MV amp models with all modelers.
Thank you! Just tried that, feel like an idiot now - this is sooooo good

On my JCM800 2203 the power amp (phase inverter, etc.) start to distort slightly above 1 on the Master which is loud in the room, that's with modern (consistent) Alpha Log potentiometers.
Master at 1 is my starting point on all MV amp models with all modelers.
Just for clarification; is this 1 on a clock hour hand or as in 1 out of 10 on the amp faceplate label?

I love pushing these models into power amp saturation. Often that will make the upper mids way too rich, so I just move mics and mic faders to compensate. Since I like using two misaligned mics, I use the level of the second mic as a mid control; very effective when combining the 57 and 1973.

E.g. to me all the Friedman models are great in that each one is two different amps: one very cool and gathered beast at low MV, and one raunchy and untethered beast at high MV, but both usable and awesome; I can't say that about other some models, to hold up well at low and high MV. Now that I think of it, I ought to make some patches of the same Friedman model, low MV scene for rhythm and high MV for lead.

I love pushing these models into power amp saturation. Often that will make the upper mids way too rich, so I just move mics and mic faders to compensate. Since I like using two misaligned mics, I use the level of the second mic as a mid control; very effective when combining the 57 and 1973.

E.g. to me all the Friedman models are great in that each one is two different amps: one very cool and gathered beast at low MV, and one raunchy and untethered beast at high MV, but both usable and awesome; I can't say that about other some models, to hold up well at low and high MV. Now that I think of it, I ought to make some patches of the same Friedman model, low MV scene for rhythm and high MV for lead.
Pushing the MV on the BE used to be my go-to trick (EDIT: for lead tones) when Friedmans were my thing a few years ago. The same can be done on various other Marshall-y amps to get the same result!

Pushing the MV on the BE used to be my go-to trick (EDIT: for lead tones) when Friedmans were my thing a few years ago. The same can be done on various other Marshall-y amps to get the same result!

You're right that this might just be a characteristic of Marshall-based designs in general. I've just really been partial to the Friedmans myself.

My wife and I saw them on their last tour and have tickets for the upcoming show in June. They nailed the songs they played. Not just great covers (which they were), but captured feel by making the tunes their own. If you're a Pink Floyd fan, I highly recommend catching their show. I can't imagine that you'll be disappointed.
My wife and I attended a Floyd Nation concert a few months ago. They were amazing. One of the guitarists was using an Axe Fx unit and it sounded great! If and when Brit Floyd every comes to the Tampa Bay area again will be sure to go see them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom