The Greatest Recto Tone Ever?

Let's find a way to get an M^4 to Cliff

I’ve contemplated asking Cliff if he would be interested in taking mine for a bit to model, I think it would be a testament to mikes amps, and finally getting the recognition that he without question deserves. And, it’s just flat out insane sounding. Mine was called the “head from hell” mod, 1978 JMP 2203, in a purple headshell. It’s got an extra gain pot, and both are pull knobs that add more gain,eq, and overall aggression. It also has 2 extra preamp tubes, and I believe the entire tonestack was reworked. It’s wild for sure. Mike says he remembers doing mine in about 95 or 96, as he only did about 10-15 of these. He said that mod is without question the most insane mod he did on those amps, and by far the most aggressive. It is my prized piece, for me anyways!

But if Cliff @FractalAudio is interested, I might try and make it work, especially if there is a big push for it.

I’ve contemplated asking Cliff if he would be interested in taking mine for a bit to model, I think it would be a testament to mikes amps, and finally getting the recognition that he without question deserves. And, it’s just flat out insane sounding. Mine was called the “head from hell” mod, 1978 JMP 2203, in a purple headshell. It’s got an extra gain pot, and both are pull knobs that add more gain,eq, and overall aggression. It also has 2 extra preamp tubes, and I believe the entire tonestack was reworked. It’s wild for sure. Mike says he remembers doing mine in about 95 or 96, as he only did about 10-15 of these. He said that mod is without question the most insane mod he did on those amps, and by far the most aggressive. It is my prized piece, for me anyways!

But if Cliff @FractalAudio is interested, I might try and make it work, especially if there is a big push for it.
Is that the same Marshall you used a few years ago when you played a few Carcass riffs through GGD Cali OS to showcase the plugin?

If so I can attest that it sounded phenomenal.

That's a JP6 I'm playing in the video. No boost. Just stock D-Sonic & Air Norton pickups.
EBMM didn't put a boost in the JP until the JP13.
Hey @Cooper Carter

The MBC always defaults to a 6 db boost, is that how people typically run it? I’ve always rolled it to 0 db volume boost but I figured since 6 is the default, there must be a reason?

Finally got around to using this preset. It’s awesome. However, for my PRS SE 245 I had to turn the amp level down a considerable amount - about 10db from what it was.

Great work Cooper. I still own a 2-channel Triple Recto that I bought new in 90s, because of many of these album tones. I remember hearing Tony Robola’s (Godsmack) guitar tone on that first album and had to have it. Honestly though, I’ve never been able to get it to sound this good, ever.

Attachments

• 71459877868__D618868B-1D76-40CE-9960-1F2D403D6AC2.fullsizerender.jpeg
    71459877868__D618868B-1D76-40CE-9960-1F2D403D6AC2.fullsizerender.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
Anything may be true for "almost all of those bands" -- lotta great music out of NRG those days and to this day.

In the case of Linkin Park and Hybrid Theory, though, I have it straight from the horse's mouth: the album is a mix of either Recto or modded Marshall song-to-song, some with both mixed. I concentrated on the Recto in this video because imo it fits the sound better for this particular tune.

Be well, homie! 🤘🏼🤘🏼
Would you love it if you did the same with Nickelback's tones? It would be possible?

It is interesting that you really didn't tweak the amp very much. Just a little GBMT.

It is also interesting that you did a lot of you compression and EQ after the cab. I generally put that stuff in between the amp and cab. I wonder if that would make much of a difference.

Regardless of what amp was played on the record, this absolutely nails the sound and the vibe. Also just a great demonstration of the power of the PEQ block. It takes a lot of practice and focused listening sessions to develop an ear for that and this video is a really good tutorial on how to acquire said ear. Great work as always, @Cooper Carter. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us!

Regardless of what amp was played on the record, this absolutely nails the sound and the vibe. Also just a great demonstration of the power of the PEQ block. It takes a lot of practice and focused listening sessions to develop an ear for that and this video is a really good tutorial on how to acquire said ear. Great work as always, @Cooper Carter. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us!
Glad everyone is enjoying it!! This was a fun one.

Thanks cc, great sound and playing, as usual!!!
Just one thing, i have noticed a variation in vol on the scene 3 (single note, palm mute), perhaps an interraction between pitch block and compressor, I use a jackson kelly, with sd blackout jeff loomis, very high output pickups

Thanks cc, great sound and playing, as usual!!!
Just one thing, i have noticed a variation in vol on the scene 3 (single note, palm mute), perhaps an interraction between pitch block and compressor, I use a jackson kelly, with sd blackout jeff loomis, very high output pickups
Check the Output block, scene 2 is set to +3 db and scene 3 is set to +5 db

Back
Top Bottom