Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNING: THIS FIRMWARE REPRESENTS AN UPDATE TO THE CORE ALGORITHMS AND MAY CHANGE THE SOUND OF YOUR PRESETS. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED FOR THIS POSSIBILITY THEN IT IS ADVISED TO NOT INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE. IF YOU DO INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE AND IT CHANGES THE SOUND OF YOUR PRESETS AND YOU COME INTO THIS THREAD AND COMPLAIN THAT YOUR PRESETS SOUND DIFFERENT BE PREPARED FOR SHAME AND RIDICULE.

And shame and ridicule for you too.
Right, it might SOUND different...could the TONE be different? lol

Hello, sorry if this not the right way to send feedback but I noticed in this release the cab section Level knob doesn't do anything wether I use a legacy or a dynacab.

Had a bug when changing SIC on the Dual Rectifier (using the latest beta FW and Axe Edit). Output pinned, no sound after that, had to restart the Axe FX to get back to normal. Nothing too problematic but thought I’d mention.
Which Dual Recto model? Not getting that here when messing with the SIC of the Recto 1 Red.

WARNING: THIS FIRMWARE REPRESENTS AN UPDATE TO THE CORE ALGORITHMS AND MAY CHANGE THE SOUND OF YOUR PRESETS. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED FOR THIS POSSIBILITY THEN IT IS ADVISED TO NOT INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE. IF YOU DO INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE AND IT CHANGES THE SOUND OF YOUR PRESETS AND YOU COME INTO THIS THREAD AND COMPLAIN THAT YOUR PRESETS SOUND DIFFERENT BE PREPARED FOR SHAME AND RIDICULE.

And shame and ridicule for you too.
Me next.

I didn't actually install the beta update and don't plan to but if I had, I would have screwed something up.

I use multiple guitars and like to have each one hit the effects and amps at the same level. I use channels on the Input block with different gain settings to quickly switch and love that I am preserving the impedance matching with the effects that way too.

The one drawback is that there is no Scene Ignore for the Input block, so the Input channel gets reset if I switch scenes. I would happily send hookers and blow to whoever at Fractal can get Scene Ignore implemented for that block.
Use Input Gain from the global menu- you can even map it to the Global Performance page for front panel control. The setting will persist across scenes and presets. You’ll have to remember where to set it per guitar, but it’s the best solve so far.

Think of this firmware as going into your local music store to try a bunch of really cool amps and plugging in after the guy before you has just finished playing, all the amps have his settings , what would you do if the bass was too high or there was not enough gain ?
Would you call the salesman and say this Mesa sounds like crap and I think it’s broken
Or would you turn knobs ?

Serious question

Had a bug when changing SIC on the Dual Rectifier (using the latest beta FW and Axe Edit). Output pinned, no sound after that, had to restart the Axe FX to get back to normal. Nothing too problematic but thought I’d mention.
IIRC Cliff has pointed out there are some amp models that are unstable with certain SICs, particularly those with large low resonance peaks. This is due to the actual circuit design combined with a low freq resonance (that is the actual amp might freak out or blow up), thus not a bug. I don't recall which models but a forum search should reveal such.

In my perception finding the sweet spot for gain it's easier now. I always had my guitar volume on 10 in tones for Jazz rock fusion solos but I noticed some changes how the amp behaves with less or more guitar output

Think of this firmware as going into your local music store to try a bunch of really cool amps and plugging in after the guy before you has just finished playing, all the amps have his settings , what would you do if the bass was too high or there was not enough gain ?
Would you call the salesman and say this Mesa sounds like crap and I think it’s broken

Serious question
This!

I owned a local music store for a couple of decades, Justin from York Audio has been there, and that is how I look at using the AXFX. Brand new amps. I have seen a lot about pickups also so maybe I am old school here but I use my volume and tone knobs on my guitar just like I would on a real amp.

This is a great update and take the time to explore and wear out your fingers!

Cheers,

Last edited:
IIRC Cliff has pointed out there are some amp models that are unstable with certain SICs, particularly those with large low resonance peaks. This is due to the actual circuit design combined with a low freq resonance (that is the actual amp might freak out or blow up), thus not a bug. I don't recall which models but a forum search should reveal such.

Years ago, I had a Bassman Ten chopped down to a head that, after I converted it to use EL34s, didn't get along with the 4x10" bass cab (unknown brand) I had. Other cabs were fine, but not that one....

Serious question
Not the same: This a beta - the developer is asking beta testers to call out (tho politely and with detailed evidence) anything that looks or sounds off

The Uberschall will resonate at a low frequency with some SIC's. Tbh, I always found that weird because the real amp doesn't do that - you can pair an Uber with a Mesa cab (a nice match!) and not have the humming. But its a different thing to what I encountered here - this is a bug where the unit becomes unresponsive until there's a restart.

Which Dual Recto model? Not getting that here when messing with the SIC of the Recto 1 Red.
It was using Recto 1 Red changing from Recto Large to Recto Straight.

The Uberschall will resonate at a low frequency with some SIC's. Tbh, I always found that weird because the real amp doesn't do that - you can pair an Uber with a Mesa cab (a nice match!) and not have the humming. But its a different thing to what I encountered here - this is a bug where the unit becomes unresponsive until there's a restart.

It was using Recto 1 Red changing from Recto Large to Recto Straight.
Quote from Cliff regarding this matter:
"It's not a bug. The Uber has massive amounts of negative feedback and an RLC resonant network in the feedback. If the speaker impedance is highly resonant at the same frequency as the network (as is the Recto Straight) then the power amp becomes an oscillator if you turn the Presence down enough. I suspect the real amp would behave the same way but I'm simply not inclined at this time to lug a Recto cab up here to prove it.

You can do the following:
1. Reduce Depth
2. Reduce Negative Feedback
3. Use a different speaker impedance curve"

Thanks. But for some time now I've been aiming not to change any deep parameters that I would probably never touch on a real amp. The sound must match with normal means (pots, tubes, bias, cab, mic, etc). I think on the basis the sound should be adjustable as usual. This is how I measure FAS. I'll keep testing, but I think it will be possible. It just takes time. I still enjoy all the options and won't miss it.

Quote from Cliff regarding this matter:
"It's not a bug. The Uber has massive amounts of negative feedback and an RLC resonant network in the feedback. If the speaker impedance is highly resonant at the same frequency as the network (as is the Recto Straight) then the power amp becomes an oscillator if you turn the Presence down enough. I suspect the real amp would behave the same way but I'm simply not inclined at this time to lug a Recto cab up here to prove it.

You can do the following:
1. Reduce Depth
2. Reduce Negative Feedback
3. Use a different speaker impedance curve"
I know, I'm saying that the Uber thing is not a bug and its intended behaviour. The bug is when the device crashes on a different amp in an unrelated way.

There is unstable "the amp is doing something weird" and there is unstable "the Axe FX III became unresponsive and required a restart"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom