New DynaCab™ Pack - York Audio 4x12 Recto

Cant wait to try this!!!!

Here is my OS

53318897514_00013785aa_h.jpg
Here's mine. V30s have the 27FT (about 2008) code to them - don't know what year the cab's though:
1710627843041.png

Yup, yours is a 2008. Both of my OS cabs are from '08 as well. They both sound awesome, but very different even though they're only four serial numbers apart.
Weird.
Same speakers?
Strange to me that the cabs themselves sound that different in what I assume is the same production run.

Weird.
Same speakers?
Strange to me that the cabs themselves sound that different in what I assume is the same production run.
That's the thing... no two cabs sound the same even if they have the same specs and speakers from the same production run. These things are made with a lot of organic materials that can vary pretty significantly. Speaker cones are made of paper and the cabs are obviously made out of wood, so just like guitars, they all have their own unique character even when you A/B them with an identical twin. My cabs even have different low resonance frequencies despite having identical dimensions, age, and materials. A friend of mine also has two OS cabs. One sounds phenomenal with anything you throw at it, and the other sounds like a small muddled mess. We tried swapping the speakers and the bad one still sounded bad with the "good" speakers. Crazy, huh?

Yup, yours is a 2008. Both of my OS cabs are from '08 as well. They both sound awesome, but very different even though they're only four serial numbers apart.
I used the cab as a load to shoot direct NAM profiles using a Behringer GI100 direct box. Then used your DynaCab: sounds amazing!

That's the thing... no two cabs sound the same even if they have the same specs and speakers from the same production run. These things are made with a lot of organic materials that can vary pretty significantly. Speaker cones are made of paper and the cabs are obviously made out of wood, so just like guitars, they all have their own unique character even when you A/B them with an identical twin. My cabs even have different low resonance frequencies despite having identical dimensions, age, and materials. A friend of mine also has two OS cabs. One sounds phenomenal with anything you throw at it, and the other sounds like a small muddled mess. We tried swapping the speakers and the bad one still sounded bad with the "good" speakers. Crazy, huh?
This is the reason I don’t use Reverb

It's by far, the best DYNACAB IR pack... You've done an incredible work Justin. I've done a 57m/121 Mix which is my fav IR ever.

Thank you so much.

So I was using the feature to play live via Software. I created a mix that I really liked. I then created an IR export directly into my Axe FX. After that I closed CabLab and loaded up that IR in my cab block. It did not sound the same, and it was quite noticeable. What am I doing wrong?

That's the thing... no two cabs sound the same even if they have the same specs and speakers from the same production run.
I fecking hate this.
I want consistency.
It's like with this overpriced guitar company run by lawyers and accountants that can't make two guitars the same, let alone keep their QC up to specs.
It's 2024 for God's sake. Why can't they make two things the same...

So I was using the feature to play live via Software. I created a mix that I really liked. I then created an IR export directly into my Axe FX. After that I closed CabLab and loaded up that IR in my cab block. It did not sound the same, and it was quite noticeable. What am I doing wrong?
One thing to be mindful of, when exporting from CL into AxeFx, is where you are applying (or not) Lo/Hi Cuts. If you apply these in CL and export that into an Axfx Cab slot with a Lo/Hi Cut also enabled there (or other cab fx like room, proximity, smoothing, preamp, air ...), then you've effectively applied that Lo/Hi Cut change twice in Axfx (and / or added other cab fx in Axfx not added in CL), so the Axfx side won't sound the same as it did in CL. Conversely, if you apply no Lo/Hi Cuts in CL and export to Axfx where Lo/Hi Cuts are applied, then the two will not sound the same unless the same Lo/Hi Cuts are applied also in CL. Personally, I prefer to audition CL while tweaking the Lo/Hi Cuts to taste in CL, but I remove those Lo/Hi Cuts in CL just before save+export, and establish those same Lo/Hi Cuts in the target Axfx Cab. I then compare Axfx with cab on to CL with Axfx cab off + Lo/Hi Cuts temporarily reapplied in CL to confirm the 2 are the same.. This method gives me the option of changing those Lo/Hi Cuts on the fly in Axfx if desired later on, without having to remix the IR in CL (my generated CL IRs (and the associated saved sessions) are always generated/saved free of any Lo/Hi Cuts (if needed, those are done in Axfx)).

Also, careful of effects you have turned on after the CAB position in Axfx when auditioning in CL. Since CL is running after Axfx output, it might sound different to running Axfx on its own after IR transfer with fx running after the cab as opposed to before when auditioning in with CL. To make this simple, I tend to turn off post CAB fx when auditioning with CL.

Last edited:
One thing to be mindful of, when exporting from CL into AxeFx, is where you are applying (or not) Lo/Hi Cuts. If you apply these in CL and export that into an Axfx Cab slot with a Lo/Hi Cut also enabled there (or other cab fx like room, proximity, smoothing, preamp, air ...), then you've effectively applied that Lo/Hi Cut change twice in Axfx (and / or added other cab fx in Axfx not added in CL), so the Axfx side won't sound the same as it did in CL. Conversely, if you apply no Lo/Hi Cuts in CL and export to Axfx where Lo/Hi Cuts are applied, then the two will not sound the same unless the same Lo/Hi Cuts are applied also in CL. Personally, I prefer to audition CL while tweaking the Lo/Hi Cuts to taste in CL, but I remove those Lo/Hi Cuts in CL just before save+export, and establish those same Lo/Hi Cuts in the target Axfx Cab. I then compare Axfx with cab on to CL with Axfx cab off + Lo/Hi Cuts temporarily reapplied in CL to confirm the 2 are the same.. This method gives me the option of changing those Lo/Hi Cuts on the fly in Axfx if desired later on, without having to remix the IR in CL (my generated CL IRs (and the associated saved sessions) are always generated/saved free of any Lo/Hi Cuts (if needed, those are done in Axfx)).

Also, careful of effects you have turned on after the CAB position in Axfx when auditioning in CL. Since CL is running after Axfx output, it might sound different to running Axfx on its own after IR transfer with fx running after the cab as opposed to before when auditioning in with CL. To make this simple, I tend to turn off post CAB fx when auditioning with CL.
Yeah I made sure to remove the hi/low cuts before creating the IR and then used the same cuts in Axe Edit. I only have a room reverb on but didn’t know that’s before the cab in CabLab demo. Will try with that turned off I suppose.

The only other thing is I do have some global EQ on the Axe FX Output 1 for my headphones. But since the audio is being routed back from CabLab to the Axe, wouldn’t those same global EQ be the same on output 1?

Yeah I made sure to remove the hi/low cuts before creating the IR and then used the same cuts in Axe Edit. I only have a room reverb on but didn’t know that’s before the cab in CabLab demo. Will try with that turned off I suppose.

The only other thing is I do have some global EQ on the Axe FX Output 1 for my headphones. But since the audio is being routed back from CabLab to the Axe, wouldn’t those same global EQ be the same on output 1?
Ya, global EQ would be active on both, so should not be the source of a difference (though in the case of CL, the global eq would be running before cab as opposed to after in Axfx stand alone - to eliminate any possible effect, maybe turn it off if you can while auditioning).

By room, I meant the room effect in the cab block, not a separate reverb block.

Maybe try temporarily hard resetting the cab block channel and re-import the IR which will make sure no cab parameter are left on that might make a difference.

Last edited:
Ya, global EQ would be active on both, so should not be the source of a difference (though in the case of CL, the global eq would be running before cab as opposed to after in Axfx stand alone - to eliminate any possible effect, maybe turn it off if you can while auditioning).

By room, I meant the room effect in the cab block, not a separate reverb block.

Maybe try temporarily hard resetting the cab block channel and re-import the IR which will make sure no cab parameter are left on that might make a difference.
So basically when auditioning, it is disabling the cab block but running everything else in the signal chain out to CabLab’s input? I guess I just assumed it was auditioning in the same spot as the cab block wherever you had that in the signal chain.

So basically when auditioning, it is disabling the cab block but running everything else in the signal chain out to CabLab’s input? I guess I just assumed it was auditioning in the same spot as the cab block wherever you had that in the signal chain.
Yes, I'm pretty sure CL puts the cab at the end with audio settings for CL input/output = Axfx Out1. I run it a little differently with CL input = the output of my interface (which is fed by Axfx) and CL output sent to a different output on my interface. I prefer it that way for flipping back and forth though I have to manually turn the Axfx cab off when using CL (and turn it on when using Axfx*Cab). With the standard automated setup, I guess maybe a loop could be placed after the cab and CLs IO settings attached to that loop to get CL in the middle of the chain but I have not tried it.

To simplify cab selection I tend to use a basic dry sound with no fx, so just putting CL after my interface works for me. I don't feel like I need fx or added eq to decide on some IRs but that may not be the case for everyone so I might be oversimplifying for some contexts.

Back
Top Bottom